GLHTurbo

Friends head on standard minifig torso

Has anyone tried drilling out the hold in the head of a Friends figure to fit on the standard minifig torso? I have an idea for a custom minifig that I want to make using a Friends head and want to know what size drill bit will make the same sized hole as the standard minifig head.

I don't think this will work out well. the heads are very small and it will lose too much to drill it out.

A better way would be cut the neck stud off a minifig torso and attach a bar in its place. that will give you the mounting point you need.

What custom fig you making?

I was thinking about making Samatha Byrne from Gears of War 3

26867.jpg

I was planning on using the Andrea head from the Friends line for the head but I may have to rethink this whole thing. The head is a 'medium dark flesh' but there aren't any 'medium dark flesh' regular torsos, just arms.

If you intend to drill the head, all you need to do is get a torso and line up a drill bit till you find the correct size.

I'm looking at an action figure of her and it seems like you won't need a medium dark flesh torso. You'll need a dark grey one with some black on the bottom, grey hips with the belt, and black legs with grey boots painted on?

-Sci

If you intend to drill the head, all you need to do is get a torso and line up a drill bit till you find the correct size.

I was hoping to get as close as I can to the original size to have the same "clutch" power as an original piece. I'm not really a fan of eyeballin' it. I was hoping that someone here had the info already or has done the swap. I guess I'll just have to look harder for my digital calipers.

I'm looking at an action figure of her and it seems like you won't need a medium dark flesh torso. You'll need a dark grey one with some black on the bottom, grey hips with the belt, and black legs with grey boots painted on?

-Sci

You may be right about the torso. I was thinking that the armour that I purchased had the deep, plunging V neck like the photo that I posted above. But looking at the armour that I purchased (but have not yet received), you won't see that area. Now to find some medium dark flesh arms from the PoTC Yeoman zombie and I can get back to work.

6984483670_e9a4fc1ea2_z.jpg

I was hoping to get as close as I can to the original size to have the same "clutch" power as an original piece. I'm not really a fan of eyeballin' it. I was hoping that someone here had the info already or has done the swap. I guess I'll just have to look harder for my digital calipers.

As far as I can get from the LEGO technical minifig drawing here, it should be 4.9 millimetres.

I can confirm that the armor does in fact cover up the upper part of the torso. You'd probably be better off using a normal lego head if you want the v-neck look. I have a feeling the friends head will make it look like she's wearing a turtle neck unless you decide to paint the neck piece flesh. The other option would to be to instead cut off the neck holders and do the switch with super glue and some putty to keep it stable. The biggest issue I find is that friends figures are suppose to be more anatomically correct, so you end up with issues with the chin being placed awkwardly there.

Edited by Confuzzledapples

I can confirm that the armor does in fact cover up the upper part of the torso. You'd probably be better off using a normal lego head if you want the v-neck look. I have a feeling the friends head will make it look like she's wearing a turtle neck unless you decide to paint the neck piece flesh. The other option would to be to instead cut off the neck holders and do the switch with super glue and some putty to keep it stable. The biggest issue I find is that friends figures are suppose to be more anatomically correct, so you end up with issues with the chin being placed awkwardly there.

The problem I have with using a normal Lego head is that the colour would be all wrong. The character I'm trying to re-create has medium dark skin and I don't think that is available with a female face. The photo I posted above makes her complexion look almost grey. Here is a better photo:

325px-GOW_3_Sam.png

I got my order in the mail yesterday so I'm going to start mocking up the figure this weekend.

The problem I have with using a normal Lego head is that the colour would be all wrong. The character I'm trying to re-create has medium dark skin and I don't think that is available with a female face. The photo I posted above makes her complexion look almost grey. Here is a better photo:

I got my order in the mail yesterday so I'm going to start mocking up the figure this weekend.

Have you considered decaling the face? If you can't decal it, you could always commission a decaled head.

Edit: The other thing I could suggest is getting some paint and painting over the head. I would suggest a glaze or something similar from Games Work shop. It may take a few tests to get it right, but it may work out.

Edited by LuxorV
Please do not quote images form the same page. Thanks.