CM4Sci

New (2013) LEGO TV Series Discussion

Am I doing this right, am I allowed to do it?

It's been mentioned at the Toy Fair, that we're getting a TV show about Monster Fighters, kinda like Ninjago!

All I know is that Rodney is being voiced by the same actor who did Pythor's voice.

So.. discuss.

If this is true, I'll be ALL OVER IT. :wub: I already own the Ghost train, and I can already say it's them of the year for me.

Which Toy Fair was this mentioned at? There was no "announcement" about it at the LEGO Collectors' Preview in New York (it may have been mentioned to an individual visitor or group of visitors, or perhaps announced later at the actual Toy Fair event) and no mention of it in the press kit I was given.

If it was the New York Toy Fair, I'm surprised it took so long for this information to emerge here on Eurobricks-- we've known for a couple months now that there would be another LEGO TV show to capitalize on the success of the Ninjago TV show, but I had been operating under the assumption that it hadn't been revealed yet. Guess I could have been wrong!

Monster Fighters is an interesting choice for a TV show, because it had seemed to me like it would be primarily driven by web media. But I guess this probably explains the detailed sketches, paintings, and story information in the Monster Fighters web videos. I am kind of curious how it might fare compared to Ninjago, seeing as Ninjago has a lot of facets TV producers like to include in shows-- youthful protagonists, a fair number of supporting characters, and of course colorful character designs. At the same time, Monster Fighters is perhaps more suited to "monster of the week"-based storytelling.

If the TV show proves successful, it could also be advantageous to the toy line itself. Up until now, I had assumed TLG would steer clear of monster archetypes that were very obscure and specific, but a successful story component could allow TLG to introduce a wider range of antagonists, just as Ninjago has done this year with the five Serpentine tribes which each have unique powers.

If you have any links to sources where I can read more about this development, I'd greatly appreciate it. Chances are I won't be investing in Monster Fighters the way I have been in Ninjago, but I do want to keep a close eye on it. And since that was basically my attitude about the first year of Hero Factory (a theme which I have been collecting since its second wave), who knows? I might end up going back on this decision!

-Wall of Text-

I read Omega X said this in the theme thread.

Also, Cartoon Network stated that another LEGO series was coming.

"I don't know whether or not someone posted a similar topic somewhere, but just to point out in the toy-fair the monster fighters description of the set they state that there is a TV show coming up based on the theme."

-Sci

Hmm, interesting. I'll probably watch this one. I just hope they keep Rodney's voice from the LEGO.com promo video. :grin:

Hmm...Took me a little time to find this thread, huh? :wink:

"I am also curious about the voice acting roles in the TV show. Yes I agree, they got Rathbone's voice perfect. I think that most of the cast of Ninjago/ Adventures of Clutch Powers( I'm expecting a sequel to that mind you, at least they have a villian named 'Omega' (Perfect name Lego!:laugh:) will be in the show. I would be astonished if Lord Vampyre doesn't have a Transylvanian accent, just like Fangtom. I would think that Jack Machammer is voiced by Roger Rose, the actor who voiced Brick Masterson from the Adventures of Clutch Powers. Remember, not all monsters must speak in the show. Perhaps some of the ninjas would be voicing the Monster Fighters. I'm looking forward to that!" This is a post by me in the Monster Fighters theme...until I realized this thread. Basically, i can see Monster Fighters expanding a few episodes. Perhaps it is like this:

• 1st episode: Introduction
  • 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th episodes: One for each set, why not?
  • 8th, 9th episodes: Two part season finale, maybe?

Regarding how I knew, may I kindly direct you to this video( I'm surprised it took so long to reach Eurobricks) Wait until the last part of the video. (Or simply skip the front part)

You mean the TV, Aug, Nov-Dec in a bright star... on the label of the Ghost Train.

Edited by roamingstudio

You mean the TV, Aug, Nov-Dec in a bright star... on the label of the Ghost Train.

If that is what you mean, then we have no information suggesting a Monster Fighters TV show at all. Those word bubbles on the name cards describe TV advertisements, not actual TV programs. See also here, here, here, and here.

So I guess there's nothing more to discuss. Perhaps the moderators can close this topic, or perhaps they can just change the title and make it into a topic speculating about the mysterious LEGO TV show we know we'll be getting. This topic remains complete speculation either way.

Edited by Aanchir

If that is what you mean, then we have no information suggesting a Monster Fighters TV show at all. Those word bubbles on the name cards describe TV advertisements, not actual TV programs. See also here, here, here, and here.

So I guess there's nothing more to discuss. Perhaps the moderators can close this topic, or perhaps they can just change the title and make it into a topic speculating about the mysterious LEGO TV show we know we'll be getting. This topic remains complete speculation either way.

Oh... :hmpf_bad: I feel mortally embarrassed. But i still think that the new TV show is Monster Fighters. Sorry for the wrong information.

P.S. Why do I keep posting the wrong thing?

Omega X

Oh... :hmpf_bad: I feel mortally embarrassed. But i still think that the new TV show is Monster Fighters. Sorry for the wrong information.

P.S. Why do I keep posting the wrong thing?

Omega X

Monster Fighters definitely has the story potential for a TV series, what with its diverse characters and potential for "monster-of-the-week" storytelling. But a full TV series probably hinges on the theme getting another wave, and we have no way of knowing whether that would happen or how they might expand the theme to give it greater longevity. Certainly if they're going to invest in a full TV show for a theme, I'd expect it to be one like Ninjago that they can keep going for several years, and not just one like Atlantis that they plan for a single year and then expand if it proves successful. I'd also expect it to be one that they're promoting heavily in ways other than just with a TV show.

With that said, I'm curious whether it might in fact be LEGO Friends that is planned for a TV series. Like Ninjago, it seems to have been designed for the long term. Like Ninjago, it's been marketed very heavily since the beginning of the year. We know the LEGO Friends theme is planned to have its own mini-movie at some point in the year, along with some books.

LEGO Friends would be a risky concept for a TV show, because girl-oriented TV shows, like girl-oriented building toys, don't necessarily have the best track record for success. At the same time, it shouldn't go unmentioned that one of TLG's main competitors, Hasbro, has been heavily investing in television programs based on its more girl-oriented brands like My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, and Care Bears. And at least a few of these programs, My Little Pony in particular, really seem to have paid off. Since the LEGO Friends theme seems to be proving successful on store shelves, it's possible that a TV series could be the logical next step.

A LEGO Friends TV show, like the toy it's based on, would target a different demographic than LEGO Ninjago, and so in terms of cultural immersion it could be a very good thing for TLG. Also, Cartoon Network (which will be airing the new LEGO TV series, whatever it turns out to be) would have a vested interest in broadening their own demographic, since they currently lack any girl-oriented programming, and have seen success in superficially-girly shows like The Powerpuff Girls in the past.

Obviously if it does happen, I'm not at all expecting the kind of boundary-crossing phenomenon that has been seen with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I think there are probably only a certain number of story creators who could really pull something like that off by design, and even MLP achieved its success with unintended demographics partly through chance. Hopefully the LEGO Friends TV special, and a TV show if such a thing actually happens, will at least achieve what MLP:FiM originally hoped to accomplish by being a girl-oriented TV program that parents and siblings don't find shallow and nauseating. It will probably depend at least in part on how great a risk TLG is willing to take, and I can't say I'm brimming with confidence.

But of course this is all just speculation. The new LEGO TV series, whatever it is, is slated for 2013, so for all we know it could be a brand-new LEGO intellectual property rather than one of the themes already announced.

I have edited the title to reflect that the Monster Fighters rumour is not based on accurate information.

- Wall of Text 2 -

There is a special planned for Friends, seen in a video on Amazon, along with a DS game.

-Sci

I have edited the title to reflect that the Monster Fighters rumour is not based on accurate information.

May I ask how do you change the title of a topic?

Omega X

May I ask how do you change the title of a topic?

Omega X

Members can't edit topic titles, however any member of staff will be happy to do it for you. As Fellows help moderating the Culture & Multimedia sub-forum, you can also ask one of us should the need arise. :sweet:

my son loves the ninjago series and i cant wait to introduce him to the Monster Fighters when it finally comes out

Members can't edit topic titles, however any member of staff will be happy to do it for you. As Fellows help moderating the Culture & Multimedia sub-forum, you can also ask one of us should the need arise. :sweet:

Thanks Fugazi!

Omega X

I can't see this happening, especially since Monster Fighters is right now, considered a one wave theme. I think it might be for the "Big New Theme that will be replacing Ninjago."

Eiether The Ninjago Replacement, or HF actually having a series, not just specials whenever a wave is released.

Eiether The Ninjago Replacement, or HF actually having a series, not just specials whenever a wave is released.

I am fairly certain that whatever the new TV series will be, it will be a new theme or a theme that has not (as of yet) had any TV specials. My reason for thinking this is that it wasn't too long after Ninjago's original TV special that the plans for a full TV series were announced. The fact that the identity of the new TV series has been kept secret suggests that it involves a new (or at least new to TV) product line.

I don't want to know what a Monster Fighters TV show would be like.Ninjago was kinda lame because they never used the fact that they were legos,it was just a generic ninja show where they were minifigs,which is upsetting.I would like it if the Padawan Menace creators did the show,then that would be good! :sweet:

I don't want to know what a Monster Fighters TV show would be like.Ninjago was kinda lame because they never used the fact that they were legos,it was just a generic ninja show where they were minifigs,which is upsetting.I would like it if the Padawan Menace creators did the show,then that would be good! :sweet:

I agree that the lack of LEGO values like creative building was probably the Ninjago TV show's biggest weaknesses when compared to other LEGO TV/movie productions. The closest thing that ever occurred in the TV show was the "Tornado of Creation", which thankfully was used more than once. The use of imagination to transform the Golden Weapons into vehicles was also a nice touch, but still there was no actual building shown on screen in the series.

At the same time, the storyline and characters were pretty compelling, for me anyway. I've read a few reviews that praise the series for not feeling like the characters were "ripped from some toy chest". So I hope that another series, if it does have more of a focus on building, doesn't become super-gimmicky. I don't think I'd want anything like the old "LEGO Maniac" comics where a real-world kid was whisked into a different LEGO theme each issue to solve the characters' problems by "building like crazy" and throwing together some wacky combination of sets that would save the day. This is meant as no offense to the LEGO Maniac character or those comics, which I enjoyed greatly in my childhood, but I don't think storytelling like that is deserving of or well-suited to a full television series.

I haven't seen The Padawan Menace so can't really attest to its quality, but if it did feature building without becoming excessively gimmicky, then that's easily the type of storytelling ideal for a LEGO TV show.

So, I talked to Superficial Username about where he gets those CGI Friends avatars, and it turns out they are screencaps from these animated Lego Friends clips that started popping up on Youtube about a month ago. They seem to be parts of larger episodes, and they are in Greek/Korean just like those early Ninjago episodes that were uploaded, so I guess this pretty much confirms that this will be the new series for next year. :classic: Can't say I'm surprised. Can't say I'm very excited either as it seems about as girl-oriented as Ninjago is boy-oriented (which is quite a lot). But who knows, it just might be a surprise hit like the sets themselves, or MLP:FiM. :grin:

So, I talked to Superficial Username about where he gets those CGI Friends avatars, and it turns out they are screencaps from these animated Lego Friends clips that started popping up on Youtube about a month ago. They seem to be parts of larger episodes, and they are in Greek/Korean just like those early Ninjago episodes that were uploaded, so I guess this pretty much confirms that this will be the new series for next year. :classic: Can't say I'm surprised. Can't say I'm very excited either as it seems about as girl-oriented as Ninjago is boy-oriented (which is quite a lot). But who knows, it just might be a surprise hit like the sets themselves, or MLP:FiM. :grin:

That's where he got 'em from! :oh3:

Gotta admit, the males look weird.

Edited by just2good