Opinions on this set  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. How much would you be willing to pay for it (MISB)?

• 35-50 USD
    • 51-100 USD
    • 101-200 USD
    • 201-300 USD or more
    • 301 USD or more

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

With 12 new LEGO stores opening in North America this year, one happened to be in my hometown of Wauwatosa, WI. The news was very exciting since it would be the first LEGO store in Wisconsin, and the closest store was in Schaumburg, Illinois. For the store grand openings, this set was one of the giveaways for spending $35 or more. My time there was quite the experience. I had to wait in a line of 2,000 or so people, which stretched the length of the mall the store is in and then some. Kids and AFOLs alike lined up starting at four in the morning to get their hands on this promotional set, and luckily, after a two-hour wait, my 10 AM arrival was awarded with this very rare set.

7185867304_f3ba46f62c_z.jpg

Set: 3300003 LEGO Store Promotional Set

Number of Pieces: 280

Number of Minifigures: 0

Price: Free with $35 purchase

Theme: Promotional

Bricklink Catalog

Flickr

Box:

7185860686_30f8bf2c88_z.jpg

The box is simply designed and much smaller than I originally thought (about the size of a 20 USD set). The minimalist black design reminds me of the Architecture series box designs, which is a good thing in my opinion. I almost don't want to open the box, because of its potential value. I see a few people who were at the event in Wisconsin are already selling them for insane prices.

7185870852_1b16ec58ea_z.jpg

The back of the box shows a few of the interior details of the store. There's a kind of artsy photograph of the set serving as the backdrop here. You might also notice that the box is opened by popping in a punch hole rather than by tearing the flaps. A welcome addition, I think; I will probably keep the box because it opened so well. The top and bottom of the box just show some details on copyrights and where the various components of the complete set where made.

7185996308_447a50d205_z.jpg7185996504_f5aa200dfe_z.jpg

The left and right sides of the box show the set from different angles, and also feature more Lego store silhouettes. Nothing much to see here, but extra details probably aren't necessary for such a small and irregular set.

Contents:

7185870554_50fe8ebc6d_z.jpg

Pouring out the contents, we have four baggies of pieces, an instruction booklet, and yes, a Dreaded Sticker Sheet. Luckily it's only one sticker, but I would think to increase the value (and uniqueness) of this promo set the designers could have printed it on. I would like to note that the bags were packed pretty snugly within the box when I opened it, so that the instruction booklet lay flat inside and was not bent at all. In addition, none of the pieces were scratched or otherwise damaged, so I think that TLG should start packing all sets like this to save on money as well as cut down on paper production.

7185861992_d3238ae9de_z.jpg

The instruction booklet, like the box, is also very simple. Featuring a calm, blue background and piece call-outs for each step, the building process is fairly straightforward. There aren't many pieces of similar color in the set, so there isn't really any issue when it comes to using the right parts according to the manual.

7185865742_01475a8736_z.jpg

Before we start the build, I would like to point out some parts that caught my eye. Firstly, there are a lot of different trans-clear element included, which can always be useful. This set contains three-brick high windows, 2x2 round bricks, 1x1 bricks, headlight bricks, and the new 1x1 round plates all in trans-clear. We also have smokey cheese, 2x2 yellow plates with center studs, and an interesting 1x4 black tile with a stud on either end. I'm not sure how new that last element is, but I'm sure it could be a great substitute for using both plates and tiles.

Build:

7185862576_e80245991d_z.jpg

Starting right away with the build, we start be laying the foundations of the mini-scale building. At this point the placement of parts may seem a bit random, but it will all make sense shortly. You can see that the base makes use of a lot of tiles, for a smooth surface. Studs are only present when there's a need to attach something, and that's something I really like.

7185863286_bf130902db_z.jpg

Now we build up the walls a little bit and add some interior details. In the front of the store there is a trans-clear 1x1 brick representing a glass case containing a displayed set (in my store it was the mini-modulars). The stacked 1x2 red plates are the giant classic 2x4 red brick frequently seen in Lego stores. We've also added the checkout counter complete with a black cheese slope as a cash register and another glass case, I assume. Note the studs attached to bricks with studs on the side on the back wall. This is a colorful and clever design for the famous pick-a-brick wall. :thumbup:

7185864168_9596757412_z.jpg

Next we finish building up the side and rear walls as well as complete the four rows of pick-a-brick containers. Together the studs make a rainbow of colors, and I am instantly reminded of that awesome feeling you get when you fill a cup up to the brim with bricks for the next big MOC project.

7185863614_49a6e091aa_z.jpg

This next part is really cool. Two identical "shelves" are built to line the side walls of the store. The multi-colored bricks represent various set boxes, and the white 1x1 bricks on the side are the posts. The trans-clear 1x1 is another glass display case, and - this is my favorite part - the 1x2 bricks with Technic pin holes are the little round display windows that show some MOCs that decorate the store. I thought this piece usage was really cool, and although simple, I would've never thought of adding this detail. Here's what I'm talking about:

4809984538_dc6efef60c.jpg

Kudos to the designer for adding this small but much appreciated detail. :thumbup:

7185864796_7aa44bfaa0_z.jpg

Here's the store with the shelves added. Also notice the two micro sets displayed in the very front. I assume the left one, in blue and grey, is the giant Super Star Destroyer (let me tell you that thing is impressive :laugh: ). And then on the right I think the house-shaped thing is supposed to be a modular building. Both are really neat details.

7185865368_ba4b2b1ec2_z.jpg

Now we start building up the front windows. The black and clear parts go well together, and this is where the trans-clear headlight bricks come into play. They are used to attach the "door handles", which work really well for creating an all-glass door. I will surely be using these special pieces for that technique in the future. On another note, building the stacks of black 1x1 bricks is a little repetitive and annoying to get them to line up correctly, but this doesn't really take away from the overall experience too much.

7185869258_1b5cd3574d_z.jpg

Building up the rest of the front wall. The trans-clear 3-high window pieces look really nice here and allow a good view to the inside. Also, the Lego sign is added, which I have a few gripes about. Firstly, the sign should be all red (so using red pieces instead of white). Also, it's a shame that the logo is a sticker and not printed on to the tile. Like I said earlier, it would really make this exclusive set exceptional, not only for the value but also not having to deal with the annoyance of applying the sticker (my hands are not steady at all so it's a miracle that I got it on at least partially straight and center).

7185866324_750160a982_z.jpg

Next we top the walls off with plain tiles and the new tiles with studs. These will help keep the roof on but also make it easy to remove. This is not a new technique on TLG's part, but the parts that do it are. The piece is certainly easier to use than 2 1x1 plates and a 1x2 tile that it replaces.

Also notice the little green cones that represent trees on the outside. I'm pretty sure my store inside the mall didn't have these, but they're still nice details that fill out the outside.

7185866324_750160a982_z.jpg

Finally the roof is built. In the center are six yellow 2x2 tiles with center studs, capped off by the new trans-clear 1x1 round tiles. This little design symbolizes stud shapes, which is a cool little detail that is certainly better than a plain roof. And I can only begin to image the usefulness of the 1x1 round tile.

7185866796_438a5fdec7_z.jpg

Not to be forgotten, the underside of the roof features some pieces that make up a light fixture for the inside of the store. Again, it's these little details that really make mini designs like this.

Complete Set:

7185867304_f3ba46f62c_z.jpg

The complete set. Overall, it is instantly recognizable. The design is smooth and sturdy (so no worries about kids breaking it unless it's dropped on the floor, and even then I think it would hold up pretty well). Although the whole thing is rather small, it is also impressive and makes a great display piece or paperweight.

7185867566_5e35ca8b3a_z.jpg

A front view. This scene should be familiar to any FOL who's had the chance to visit a Lego brand store. :tongue:

7185871492_6f1d597d27_z.jpg

And an angle on the back. Not much to see here, though what could there possibly be? I think I would prefer it to be plain than if they added some sort of design, such as stickers or even a mosaic.

7191217934_5a37b2cd9a_z.jpg

The roof can be attached and removed from the walls really easily, as mentioned before. It's fun to do and allows one to peer inside:

7191218930_a694b97dc0_z.jpg

Extra Pieces:

7191154196_fc6531cd9b_z.jpg

The extra parts in this set were quite generously given. A lot of 1x1 round plates and even a 1x1 round tile are left over. One thing I don't get is why another 1x6 white plate was included. The parts inventory says that there is eight included in the set, but this one makes nine. Strange, but okay.

Final Ratings:

Build/Design: 10/10: I thought that the design was very clever with all of the little details representing different things inside a LEGO store at a miniature scale. The pick-a-brick wall, round display windows, and details on the roof were all great.

Playability: N/A: As a collector's item and a promotional set, this category isn't really applicable here. It's more of a display item than anything if you're like me and actually open the set rather than sell it for profit.

Minifigures: N/A

Parts: 9/10: This set definitely contains some unique and useful parts. The trans-clear headlight bricks and 1x1 round tiles are pieces that I've never seen before, and they certainly add to the value of the set. My only gripe is that the logo sign was a sticker and not a printed tile.

Price: 5/5: This set comes free with a $35 purchase, so it's a really excellent deal. I suppose if you consider the time cost a factor (waiting in line for two hours), you could say it costs a lot. But I don't really mind that, because I feel privileged to own such a neat set and it was well worth the wait.

Final Score: 24/25: An excellent rating. This set is exclusive and is well-designed to boot, and I'm really glad to have it. I was also shocked to see so many Fans of Lego in my area, young and old alike. It is pretty much unheard of to have lines longer than a few hundred people in the small city of Wauwatosa and even in Milwaukee, but thousands of people from all over Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Canada came to this event. That really goes to show the popularity of our favorite little bricks, and also rejects the general notion of people unfamiliar with Lego that "they're just for little kids".

Overall, I highly recommend this set to anyone having a store opening near them this year. It's a cool thing to have, and it's also very valuable if that's your thing. Get there early, because there's a limited amount of these. I don't know if buying one of these for over 200 USD is worth it to someone who's not a die-hard collector, but I guess that's really up to you. And of course there won't be that satisfaction after you waited two hours in line to get it, but that's just me. :tongue:

7190139230_f028d06e11_z.jpg

A minifgure peers inside, wondering when his local store will open its doors. Too bad he's too big to fit inside...

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Excellent review, 'JimButcher'! :classic:

I really want this set. It looks superb, but I bet the price of a second-hand copy is crazy, though. :grin:

Excellent review Jimb! One store was opening near me, three hours away, so I opted not to try to go. Now I'm wishing I hadn't. :tongue:

Nice review! I'll try to pick this one up when the store in Atlanta opens. I really love the new trans pieces. I've been wanting a trans-clear headlight brick for much too long now.

Nice one Jimbee. Even though most of the parts or almost all can be bricklinked to re-create this set. The feeling will not be as special and exclusive when you are able to get it in the brand store release. This make a fine piece of deco in your office table which I will place it even if I ever got a chance to get this though.

Fantastic review Jim. I was going to review this set in the Academy as my 3rd to get the bronze badge but I think I'll pass now since you put up this amazing review. Great job.

YOU LUCKY @#!#$#@!$

Now that I've calmed down, let's look at this set. It is just awesome! Definitely the best building set we've seen in a long time. If they had these at the Toronto grand opening I would've been the first one in line!

Lovely. This may sound crass, but to me walking into a Lego store and walking out with a bunch of yellow bags is the closest you can come to buying happiness.

Nice review! I built mine today as well, and I agree with your rating. Did you spend any time at the Spongebob Squarepants build? I was there all day as a volunteer - it was fun!

BTW, the reason you have an extra 1x6 plate is you didn't put it in... In your picture of one of the shelving sections, you left it out.

Great review! 1x1 trans round tiles! How many sets does each store get?

Wauwatosa had 300 of them.

With all the cool touches inside, I'm willing to bet the original design featured clear 1x1 round tiles over each 1x1 round plate on the micro PaB wall, but was deemed too expensive to make it to the final design. It's a great set, I wish there was a store opening near me sometime soon... oh, well.

Also, I'd imagine the insane prices being paid for these right now on ebay will come down a little as more and more of the stores have their grand opening celebrations. I think this is only the second of the twelve stores opening that will be offering this set in the same way.

Thanks everyone. :classic:

I was going to review this set in the Academy as my 3rd to get the bronze badge but I think I'll pass now since you put up this amazing review.

Don't let me stop you - we do allow more than one review of the same set here. :wink: But of course it's up to you.

Did you spend any time at the Spongebob Squarepants build? I was there all day as a volunteer - it was fun!

I didn't, but I saw it while waiting in line and on my way out. Wish I would've stopped by, though, would've been cool to meet you!

BTW, the reason you have an extra 1x6 plate is you didn't put it in... In your picture of one of the shelving sections, you left it out.

Ah, yes you're right. Thank you!

Wauwatosa had 300 of them.

They said that but I had to be at least the 500th person in line, and they still had plenty when I checked out. I could be wrong, but they had to have more I think.

With all the cool touches inside, I'm willing to bet the original design featured clear 1x1 round tiles over each 1x1 round plate on the micro PaB wall, but was deemed too expensive to make it to the final design.

I just tried that out on mine, and yeah it would make sense if this was in original design. The PaB wall does look good like that. :thumbup:

Also, I'd imagine the insane prices being paid for these right now on ebay will come down a little as more and more of the stores have their grand opening celebrations.

Agreed, I imagine the hype over them will die down at least a little after more stores are opened. Still, as with any collector's item the price will soar after as time goes on.

Luckily it's only one sticker, but I would think to increase the value (and uniqueness) of this promo set the designers could have printed it on.

Wait, you expect TLG to want to increase the value and uniqueness of a set that they're giving away for free? Thereby driving up the secondary market price, which they get no profit from?

Wait, you expect TLG to want to increase the value and uniqueness of a set that they're giving away for free? Thereby driving up the secondary market price, which they get no profit from?

But we are the ones that have to spend $35+ in order to receive the set. And spending JUST $35 or a little over is quite hard. Once you're in the store, you spend hundreds and hundreds. Heck, I saw at least 10 modular buildings go out the door when I was in line and a guy even bought a Death Star just for the mini store set.

Great review, save for one thing. Your photos all have wonky colors; the reds look like pinks, and a few of the other colors are slightly off as well.

I'm going to try to see if I can make a good modular-scale store by doubling the size of this set.

1x1 trans round tiles!

These parts are also in the new Lego CITY 4200 Mining 4x4 set (one plus a spare). In addition to picking up one of these grand opening exclusives on Saturday, I also found that new City set at a TRU in Milwaukee.

Thanks for the review. It is nice seeing this set up close.

It is a neat little set, but not something I would particularly care for standing in line for multiple hours for. It isn't something I care to collect, but I can understand people wanting a copy of it.

There is a Lego store opening up about 3 hours from here, but I doubt I will make the drive down there when it happens, but I will definitely drive down there eventually to check everything out since I've never been to a Lego store before. The closest one to here is at the Mall of America (approximately 6-7 hour drive from here). Needless to say, I haven't made the trek.

Wow! If a store ever opens up in North Florida :ugh: , then I'll be there, at the door, getting one of these beauties. For now, I'll just wait, and maybe build my own Modular scale version, the parts shouldn't be to hard to get, and it would look great! Great reveiw, although I'm sure you've heard that 1,000,000 times by now! :head_back:

Beautiful model. :wub: My only complaint... I love things to be minifig-scale. :tongue: Hopefully Lego will someday deliver us a regular set feautiring a minifig scale Lego store, with minifigs with the store uniform. :wub: I will pass on this one (won't pay those ridiculous prices), and hope for the future! :classic:

Thanks for the review! It's the closest I'll get to this set, I think! :tongue:

Edited by johnnyvgoode

Great review! :thumbup: I was there waiting in line for two hours too. :blush: A great set, nonetheless. Definitely a collector's piece.

Edited by K-Nut

Yes. Would you expect the chrome gold C-3PO, which came for free in 10,000 sets in North America a few years ago, to require you to paint the gold on yourself, or just be pearl gold? Promotional items are supposed to be valuable, and it's these sort of things that make them special.

Did you go back on sunday to get the minifigs?

No I did not. I imagine the line was a lot shorter, but I didn't really care for them in the first place.

Great review! :thumbup: I was there waiting in line for two hours too. :blush: A great set, nonetheless. Definitely a collector's piece.

Maybe we saw each other there without realizing it... :laugh:

Magnificent review, now I want to go out to WI and buy a bunch of LEGO that I don't have room for just for this awesome little set.

Nice looking promo-set. Wish we had Lego-stores here. We use to have a couple of specialized toy-stores which had most of the Lego-sets but these days it is really hard to get most of the Lego-sets over here.

In the "old-days" toystores had a couple of isles dedicated to Lego but now it's just a few metres.

But I really like that promo-set.