Horry

[MOC] The Colony

[pid][/pid]215B

This colony is supposed to be a former Spanish residence, now controlled by the British and set in the late 18th century. It is a small colony, there are neither shore batteries nor forts in this MOC. I tried to aim for a rundown look with houses that have been maintained rather than really well-kept. I also included four houses with lit windows.

As I suck at taking pictures and can lately only take them when it is already dark, the quality of the whole setting is poor - I'm still waiting for a friend to come over at the weekend to take some good pictures so please excuse the quality!

It features:

-sail patcher

-pawnbreaker

-rum distillery

-some small private houses

-a small chapel

-carriages

-blacksmith

-carpenter

-market

-harbour area

-tavern

7404578814_47927ea563_b.jpg

Main01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7404580766_4786a0ec58_b.jpg

Streets04 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7481167846_ee24cb5b7d_b.jpg

Streets06 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7481167324_d8efa0942c_z.jpg

outside03 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7481166454_8b8989a8de_z.jpg

outside01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7481166854_7b758c5dc9_z.jpg

outside02 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7481164940_d290ba176b_z.jpg

Old01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7481165236_24f8a2a4ba_z.jpg

old02 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7481165912_199a15e4a1_z.jpg

old04 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7481164478_2a46a2ebb8_z.jpg

Streets08 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7404579418_86b623b355_n.jpg

Night02 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

Horry this is going to be good. :pir-classic:

You've got my attention, I really like the sephia style pictures too.

I'm looking forward to see all the process in this MOC!

Great project Horry!

Greetz

Bjornu

I like what I see here, especially that small house in the first picture, do I spot a man-of-war in the background ?

Thank you all!

There's some small progress. I've started building the elevated section of the colony, including two new buildings. Additionally, the pawnbreaker now has got some interior. Not all building will have interior, but some are accessible from the rear. That will be all for the next few days, until my bricklink order hopefully arrives.

7189932260_87e73d3aab.jpg

Streets05 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7189933578_03485a32f4.jpg

Streets03 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7189933114_ac4f33dc50.jpg

Streets04 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7189932630_aa0db19635.jpg

Pawnbreaker von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

do I spot a man-of-war in the background ?

Yes, that's Centaur!

She looks alot like this, although the masts are far better, the rigging is complete and the stern section has been reworked:

5680545066_a75cd8d3b7_z.jpg

Masts 4.0 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

Edited by Horry

This is looking great already Horry! I've been considering starting up my own colony as a brickflick series once I finally complete Brickington. I'm fighting the same inward battle with myself however about time, money and space and my lack of all three!

This is looking superb however - the attention to detail is fantastic as ever and it all seems very well thought out! Keep it up! :pir-sweet:

It's nice to actually see the HMS Centaur (if I'm not mistaken that hasn't been on the forum before?)and I can't wait for more updates. The colony looks great too- I like the representation of stones and masonry in the rustic colonies, and the design of the roofs. Looking great!

I've been considering starting up my own colony as a brickflick series once I finally complete Brickington. I'm fighting the same inward battle with myself however about time, money and space and my lack of all three! :pir-sweet:

Yes, it's a pain in the swivel gun, so to speak! But it has one bright side: I am finally learning to properly use Bricklink :pir_laugh2:

It's nice to actually see the HMS Centaur (if I'm not mistaken that hasn't been on the forum before?)and I can't wait for more updates. The colony looks great too- I like the representation of stones and masonry in the rustic colonies, and the design of the roofs. Looking great!

Thanks! Actually, I am a bit saddened by the fact that I mostly have to use the old grey for the ground and the masonry - but I simply missed the time when the new greys came out and now I have buy my stock of these colours brick by brick....

Some more little updates: I've been adding some new structures and have begun to construct the backs of the houses you can enter. Additionally, I've been tinkering with some furniture for the governor's residence...

7210635214_9f6f112af9.jpg

Arch01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7210635592_f4c526c3da_n.jpg

Arch02 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7210634960_08e26f408c.jpg

Streets06 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7210635974_5f036c204a.jpg

furniture01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

I agree the furniture is brilliant, I also love the style of the buildings with the over hangs, and balconies, if feels like a town that has grown over time into a metropolis, i would love to see the streets busy with LEGO figs.

Great Work

Thank you both! The furniture was actually done in collaboration with my girlfriend who is getting slowly into MOCing as well :pir-cry_happy:

Just a small update today: The carpenter and the blacksmith finally got their houses. There are still things missing, of course. The coast will be made much more elaborate and the red-yellow basis of the black smith will vanish behind lower layers of street. Both are also missing a bunch of tools that I will have to build.

7226840524_300f25499b.jpg

BlackSmith01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7226840206_4369effac2_n.jpg

BlackSmith02 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7226841142_31aece00cd_n.jpg

BlackSmith03 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7226840834_d1f38c120e.jpg

Carpenter01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7226841358_7905280ae7_n.jpg

Carpenter02 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7226840010_bd3bdeeb75_n.jpg

Carpenter04 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

Almost there! I've finished the houses I will be able to build without exceeding my bugdet for this project. The only things that need to be done now are finishing the ground, doing some polishing on the details and add some more people. I've already done some tired testshots of the arrangement with minifigs. I really hope you enjoy this - and I'd love some feedback!

The tavern with a room for all those lonely sailors....

7258872032_d2883e1010.jpg

Pleasures02 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7258871712_860a4d0cee.jpg

Pleasures01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

The small chapel

7258871430_6647a1620d.jpg

Chapel01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

The streets with some new houses and details added

7258872294_676ffbacdc.jpg

Streets01 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7258872692_ac58a45a6a.jpg

Streets02 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

7258871020_44cb3d1199.jpg

Streets03 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

And now I will go to bed and fall into a comatose sleep :dtired:

This is a really cool project! I admire you for taking it on :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing it all together, I think the tavern is my favorite of your buildings so far. Hope you get a good rest :pir-sad2:

This is a really cool project! I admire you for taking it on :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing it all together, I think the tavern is my favorite of your buildings so far. Hope you get a good rest :pir-sad2:

I did, thanks :pir-classic:

I'm not so satisfied with the roof of the tavern and I might add some more exterior, but otherwise I like it, too...

UPDATE: I finished my building process! While I am still waiting for some good pictures to be taken, I can already proudly present some scenes in the first post! Would a shipyard member be so kind to take the "WIP" out of the title of the thread? :pir-classic:

Awesome, only thing missing would be some blue (seawater), that doesn't have to be brick-built, a blue sheet serves well as background too.

I really love those in-street views :pir-sweet:

Thank you for your kind replies :pir-sweet:

only thing missing would be some blue (seawater), that doesn't have to be brick-built, a blue sheet serves well as background too.

Yes, that's a very good idea, I'll do that :-)

I hope you'll get her some background for the photos, she surely deserves it!

I think that I'll add a digital background!

I updated the first post with the best pictures I was able to make. It really annoys me that I cannot get myself to be satisfied with this MOC's documentation but it won't get any better. I'd appreciate comments and the removal of the WIP sub-header :pir-blush:

I am sad to announce that a heavy storm crashed our windows while my girlfriend I I were gone over the weekend. The window shattered my entire MOC-collection apart from the Centaur... the colony has fallen victim to a storm - ironic, isn't it?