Sign in to follow this  
kabel

Storm at the Mountain Top

It’s finally sping in Mitgardia! And even the cold blooded Northerners melt in these rare days of sunshine and warm temperatures(in Mitgardian terms!). So it’s not uncommon for our brave Northern heroes to relax, sit back and enjoy a good cup of mead with their friends and neighbors. So one day, as Steen was having a Barbeque party in the garden of old corner inn, where he was staying during legislative sessions. Surprisingly Elon Chorian, although not a member of the No-Nonsense Party, attended the feast too. After the 10th cup of mead he finally started talking about what was on is heart:

dscn1001.jpg

Elon: "Well Steen, I’ve always considered you a smart boy, and quite frankly, I have no clue why you joined the party of this idiot. Can't you see he's ruining this city with his plans to bulldoze everything?"

Steen: Now Elon, what is it. What do you want me to do?

Elon: Steen, I've just heart the other day how Grimmson wants to break down the last sod house near the Thing-Hall. I don't like that, I mean it's part of our heritage, this being one of the first houses to be errected in this city. You have to save it!!

Steen: But why me? And, most important of all, how?

Elon: Steen, your the only one old Grimmson still listens too. He's an ingnorant old stubborn fighter, but if you tell him that you need your own house here in Valholl, I'm sure he might sell it to you!

Steen: Well yes, getting my own place was definetely something I was gonna do. I'll see what I can do!

Elon: Steen, I'm really glad!

As fate has it, Grimmson, who considered Steen the son he never had, let Steen have the house. And Steen actually really liked the place. It was warm, cozy and really close to the Thing Hall as well as the inn. A perfect place, and as it turned out, there was nothing a good carpenter couldn't fix. One good cleaning and he would start living in his snug littel sod house.

However, during this clean-up Steen found something that was going to change his life for the month to come. Behind an old and rotten cupboard he tore out he found an old map.

dscn1016.jpg

3 month later, with the last days of the wanig summer, Steen finally arrived at the peak of the "Frozen Moutain" in Northern Mitgardia. It had taken all his will and money to get here, and now he stood at food of his final climb. Amazed he looked up the face to this giant made of ice and rock, where, stuck in the ice, he could see the remains of the once glorious wind temple. However, as he was about to pick his iceaxe, a Yeti stood in the way and shouted scaringly at our exhausted hero!

dscn1021.jpg

But Steen knew what to do. Following the advice of this grandfather, had taken two barrels of the fines mead with him that took care of the matter:

dscn1023.jpg

"Finally", thought Steen, "this must have been the guardian the old tales warned about. I would have never thought it would be so easy to apease this monster!" So he took his axe and scaled the last meters to the top of the mountain.

dscn1019.jpg

Finally he found an entrance to the old temple. He went in, and after a few hours managed to get out again.

dscn1007.jpg

Triumphantly he waved the ice cup with the air crystal on top in to the thin and cold mountain air!

dscn1018.jpg

Maybe he should have thought twice about it!

dscn1009.jpg

The stealing of the air crystal had woken the Northern Wind, the brother and guardian of the air crystal. Filled with rage it started blowing the strongest and coldest ice-storm Mitgardia had ever seen. Would Steen be able to survive the descend with the ice-cup in his hand?

dscn1013.jpg

pic of the mountain without Steen and the Northern Wind:

dscn1006.jpg

Edited by kabel

Glad to see you entered kabel :classic: I like your build, simple but carries out the story well. The yeti is cute, and the north wind looks great!

Good work on the snow cliffs as well :thumbup:

Very solid entry! Nice pictures and I always like it when other sigfigs are included in mocs.

Good rockwork. :thumbup:

thanks for commenting on this. I know it's not a masterpiece at all, but with my reluctance to tear down Valholl, I was left with too few bricks. At least I wanted to enter something. However, I think I did better with photographing this time.

Edited by kabel

Good job kabel! Nice north wind idea and it really worked well getting that blue background :sweet:

I like the mountain and the North wind - very creative guardian! It's a good thing your hero was well insulated (eskimo hood :tongue: )

Great job Kabel! Love the interaction between our characters in the story also a nice way to seduce a yeti :tongue: I also think your photo's are indeed better looking. The wind design is interesting. I can imagine it's hard to make "wind" out of lego, but it worked out great! :thumbup:

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it! Originally I was going to skip this round, but then I changed my mind again.

@Cara: there were so many dragons that I decided to do something different. The wind was actually inspired by comic winds that usually look this: wind.gif

@Angeli: Yeah, catching yetis is actually not that difficult. It's just never been tried like this ... :laugh:

@rogueang: Me being give the eskimo by my sister actually started the creation of this moc. And of course, WINTER IS COMING, so you gotta have those handy as a Mitgardian!

@Eccles: I took a look a my minifig collection the other day and realized, that I had all the pieces for your character. So Elon had to in there too. I'm glad you like it!

Love the guardian you used, that was really thinking outside the box on that one. It reminds me of all the old maps I was looking at, a lot of them had the old wind man in the corner blowing the ships around.

If I ever make it to Northern Mitgardia, I will have to be sure to have a keg of mead with me just in case!

That northern wind is excellent! Can feel the cold all the way to my computer! :classic: Great story and a fun twist with the monster and the barrels!

the bs folder is finally public, more pics there

@glenpinpat: that really was difficult. And the funny thing is, as I went onto my balcony to take the pcitures,a real strong wind started and the barrels kept falling off. At times I even had to hold the "north wind" with my hand as it was swinging back and forth like crazy. Strange coincidence ...

@Erynlasgalen: well, having the one or the other keg of mead with you is always a good idea in Mitgardia. It definetely helps to make friends :laugh:

@DG: thanks man, I always appreciate your feedback very much!

I love the old school Orient Expedition vibe here Kabel, it has a sparse economy of line that feels very true to its icy subject matter. Your Wind guardian really stands out for its originality, and the Yeti is a lovely touch. Goes to show these builds do not need a lot of bricks to be very effective.

Winter is coming!

:classic:

Great little entry Kabel! The snow covered arches look good and the yeti with the barrels is a cute touch. :classic: I also like your gaurdian very much - it looks very menancing in the second to last shot. :thumbup:

It's also great to hear that the sod house has had a reprieve. Good stuff! :classic:

sorry for bumping this, but I was gone for a few days and without web access ...

@robuko: tanks man, yeah the orient expedition, that's were the idea came from, and it has more than just the yeti from the set

@gabe: thank you too, and yes, the guardian is really pissed off, took a while though to get the face really that mad looking