wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

While this would be great, it seems like another random wish thread to me. Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Removed by request ? Why, either it's false or it's true.....I'm having a hard time believing Lego would do so many licensed themes in one year, like with all the super heroes they are releasing ? :wink:

We shall see I guess in the coming months. :wink:

Seeing as it's completely unsourced, I think that the author is just recounting one of the more popular wishes/rumors. People have been clamoring for a Tolkien theme for a long time, and next year's The Hobbit movie (as well as the dubious staying power of this year's licensed themes) has many people expecting next year to finally be the year it happens. Personally, I'm not going to believe the rumors until there's some source amounting to more than wishful thinking. While a Tolkien theme would be cool I wouldn't count on the films' marketing potential within the regular LEGO age range.

I agree which would mean the end of Kingdoms, too much IP personally for me, it would probably tank with the public like PoP and POTC.

I don't believe the removed by request either above usually a mod would do that, not the OP.

Edited by Macoco

Hello LOTR, goodbye wallet! :laugh:

More elves, more dwarfs, more human factions, more 'creature' factions...

Oh ya, I'm STOKED! :wub:

I just hope it's TRUE. :sceptic:

I think this phrase resumes everything. :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think they are looking to replace POTC, they have enough licensed themes to carry on with for the moment. A LOTR range would be fantastic but I just don't see it happening.

I'm afraid that both PoTC and Kingdoms will be will be victims of this "overload" with themes. I'm not sure, but it looks like no new sets in 2012 for those two themes. PoTC will probably continue after the next movie (I'm not sure when it's scheduled) and Kingdoms will transform into LOTR.

Those are however just my speculations.

I'm afraid that both PoTC and Kingdoms will be will be victims of this "overload" with themes. I'm not sure, but it looks like no new sets in 2012 for those two themes. PoTC will probably continue after the next movie (I'm not sure when it's scheduled) and Kingdoms will transform into LOTR.

It's a bit early to forecast an end for Kingdoms, I think. Remember that there weren't any Kingdoms sets in the first half of 2011, either, and I was fully expecting the theme to have ended, only to learn that people had already learned of the existence of the Mill Village Raid by way of leaks.

A more likely scenario would be Lord of the Rings replacing Harry Potter, since they're both extremely popular fantasy series and we don't know about Harry Potter continuing. But then again it, like Kingdoms, seemed mostly over in 2011, only for a small wave of sets to show up in summer. For that matter, Spongebob Squarepants sets showed up in summer 2011 after a hiatus of over a year, so really we're in no place to assume any themes are being discontinued for longer than one wave. It's entirely possible that themes we don't see in the first half of 2012 will be back for the second half.

I'm still not convinced that a LotR theme is happening. Not until I see a press release from LEGO or pictures of sets or minifigures.

It's a bit early to forecast an end for Kingdoms, I think. Remember that there weren't any Kingdoms sets in the first half of 2011, either, and I was fully expecting the theme to have ended, only to learn that people had already learned of the existence of the Mill Village Raid by way of leaks.

A more likely scenario would be Lord of the Rings replacing Harry Potter, since they're both extremely popular fantasy series and we don't know about Harry Potter continuing. But then again it, like Kingdoms, seemed mostly over in 2011, only for a small wave of sets to show up in summer. For that matter, Spongebob Squarepants sets showed up in summer 2011 after a hiatus of over a year, so really we're in no place to assume any themes are being discontinued for longer than one wave. It's entirely possible that themes we don't see in the first half of 2012 will be back for the second half.

I'm still not convinced that a LotR theme is happening. Not until I see a press release from LEGO or pictures of sets or minifigures.

And there's a big set like MMV coming out next year as well. TLG also said that the sales for POTC are better than they hoped.

I agree with you about everything except for LOTR replacing Harry Potter. In my opinion, LOTR is too close a match to the general Castle theme for TLG to be producing concurrent LOTR and Kingdoms sets. They would compete with each other over shelf space and cannibalize their sales. So, while I'm not convinced yet that LOTR is coming, I'm fairly sure that if it does come, it will replace Kingdoms.

I would have strongly mixed feelings about this if it happens. On the one hand, it's the Lord of the Rings (!!!), one of the most awesome fantasy properties ever, and will give us all the classic fantasy races. On the other hand, Kingdoms is a great theme that just got better and seems to have potential to be even better with another couple of waves. LOTR will be more expensive, will have fleshies, and probably won't exactly fit with previous Castle themes in the same way that POTC doesn't blend very well with classic Pirates.

I'm gonna go sit next to Aanchir in the bitter and cynical corner. As is the way of the interwebtubes, pix or it didn't happen. I'd love to see the theme (the whole violence argument got blown out of the water when the poor ickle German mechanic got shredded by a propellor, or the entire crew of the HMS Providence being nommed by Mermaids) but I just don't know if it'll happen.

Anyone can make up set names, but without proof... I remain stoic.

BTW, did u gais here abut the UCS Balrog? OMGOMGOMG.

Teehee.

Well. Im an beliver. Since they are releasing the LOTR video game next year. why not LEGO sets?

BTW, did u gais here abut the UCS Balrog? OMGOMGOMG. Teehee.

UCS Minas Tirith with Oliphaunts and Winged Nazgul FTW!!

Anyone can make up set names, but without proof... I remain stoic.

BTW, did u gais here abut the UCS Balrog? OMGOMGOMG.

Teehee.

Uhm, what are you saying? What does Gais mean?

Any way, It seems I keep hearing about Balrog's lately. What is going on?! :sing::laugh:

I love LotR as much as the next guy, but if this is true, then I'm starting to feel like LEGO is turning into a license machine. :sceptic:

However... I'll still be anticipating this license. LotR always appealed to me more than Star Wars. :thumbup:

I think the reason this rumor keeps persisting is because the pattern fits.

The Star Wars license started with the release of the prequel trilogy, giving TLC 3 new movies and the original 3 movies to draw set ideas from.

The Indy license started with the release of "Crystal Skull," giving TLC a new movie plus the original 3 movies to draw set ideas from.

POTC started with the release of the new movie this year, giving TLC a new movie plus the original 3 movies to draw set ideas from.

Likewise ... a Tolkein license starting with "The Hobbit" would give TLC the two new Hobbit movies, plus the original 3 LOTR movies to draw set ideas from.

I'm not saying it's definitive PROOF or anything ... but it's an interesting parallel.

Then don't try (and fail) to make it look like there are really sets coming out. :sceptic:

If they do make a LoTR theme for LEGO, then bye to all my money! I will be ever so slightly disappointed if they only make sets of the films, that would mean no LEGO Glorfindel!

My wallet already hurts just from thinking about how much my wallet WILL hurt if a LOTR does arrive.

LOTR, Kingdoms, CMFs...come on lotto win!!!!! :tongue:

Please lego don't do this.

No!

Do it!

Don't!

My wallet is already suffering and my wife already complaining about lego SW.

I just imagine what would happen to me if they do LOTR battlepacks.

Seriously, i don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense.

Please lego don't do this.

No!

Do it!

Don't!

My wallet is already suffering and my wife already complaining about lego SW.

I just imagine what would happen to me if they do LOTR battlepacks.

Seriously, i don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense.

LOTR battlepacks!

:swoon:

I didn't even consider a battlepack possibility!

Hopefully it would be better than the POTC battle pack. I think each one had a Jack Sparrow, odd. I missed out on the Kingdoms battle packs and the Orc battle packs. If these come out, I won't be missing out on these unless every store sells out of them before I get there haha.