wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

If you are commenting on the "Eomer" that lego is presenting then thats the Rohan soldier, NOT Eomer.

EDIT: I guess you are commenting on Haldir, the elf in red.

Yeah complete schoolboy on that one, wrote and rewrote that post and ended up with something I should report myself for spam :laugh:

The only problem is that TRU has a Buy 1 Get One Free sale every year on LEGO around the beginning of December here, so that was where I was going to get most of the stuff.

I'm almost sure that LOTR, being one of the hot new themes, will be excluded from the BOGO sales anyway, just like POTC was excluded last year and Star Wars is always excluded.

So, the Berserker won't have a helmet mould after all, and it's not even a proper hand on the helmet. :sceptic:

It wouldn't be that difficult to have a helmet mould for the Berserker. I'm guessing this might be related to people complaining about Iron Man's oversized helmet.

Also, I've now watched the third movie. There seems to be only one set (being Shelob Attacks) from Return of the King.

So, the Berserker won't have a helmet mould after all, and it's not even a proper hand on the helmet. :sceptic:

It wouldn't be that difficult to have a helmet mould for the Berserker. I'm guessing this might be related to people complaining about Iron Man's oversized helmet.

Also, I've now watched the third movie. There seems to be only one set (being Shelob Attacks) from Return of the King.

I doubt it. These sets have been worked on for a long time. It isn't likely that because some people complained about a helmet in another theme, they would remove a helmet in this theme. Also, if they could change something this late in the process, why wouldn't they change Iron Man's helmet?

More likely reason is that the new mold required would never be used again.

I'm almost sure that LOTR, being one of the hot new themes, will be excluded from the BOGO sales anyway, just like POTC was excluded last year and Star Wars is always excluded.

POTC wasn't excluded where I live, and neither is Super Heroes. Only SW and, last year, Ninjago.

I think haldir looks better in the cgi image, without shiny gold print.

I think haldir looks better in the real image, with shiny gold print. :classic:

I doubt it. These sets have been worked on for a long time. It isn't likely that because some people complained about a helmet in another theme, they would remove a helmet in this theme. Also, if they could change something this late in the process, why wouldn't they change Iron Man's helmet?

I should have phrased that better. Some helmet pieces supposedly appear oversized in Lego form. Iron Man is one example, others being the AT-AT pilot and so on.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a helmet piece would have been a good incentive, even as a one-off. Star Wars is one example where a mould is made which will probably never be used again unless if the character appears in another set.

I guess the shape can also be used in making an Uruk-hai Commander helmet, since it's basically a Berserker helmet with a crest.

Hopefully, they'll release an even bigger set for the battle of Minas Tirith

A 2000-3000 pieces UCS would be awesome

Do we know yet where the Orc Forge set is going to be exclusive to?

I thought it said Target (at least in the US) at the Toy Fair.

Hopefully, they'll release an even bigger set for the battle of Minas Tirith

A 2000-3000 pieces UCS would be awesome

As much as I like the idea, the thought of how much a set like that would cost frightens me.

As much as I like the idea, the thought of how much a set like that would cost frightens me.

Depends on what kind of parts they're using. Part of the reason why the price-to-piece ration seems pretty fair for the LotR sets is because most of the parts are small, inexpensive elements. I imagine a 2,000-part UCS set would have to be mostly smaller elements as well.

By the way, any word as to when these will be available? I'm already saving my cash. :grin:

By the way, any word as to when these will be available? I'm already saving my cash. :grin:

I believe the release date is June some time. I hope June 1st. The sooner the better!

Hopefully LEGO can make something for LotR at 2000+ pcs for $149.99. Something similar to what they did with Diagon Alley for Harry Potter. Or maybe 3000+ pcs in the $199.99 to $249.99 range.

And yes, the sooner the release date, the better.

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

Hopefully LEGO can make something for LotR at 2000+ pcs for $149.99. Something similar to what they did with Diagon Alley for Harry Potter. Or maybe 3000+ pcs in the $199.99 to $249.99 range.

And yes, the sooner the release date, the better.

Perhaps Minas Tirith????

To be honest, in my opinion, I think it would be a better idea (and the way I would prefer) if they did Minas Tirith like they are doing Helm's Deep. One large set and then some smaller sets that can attach to it but unlike Helm's Deep, do a variety of wall sections with some troops to represent the various armies that were at that battle. That way it could be a general release instead of just a Lego store release and folks can built it as big or small as they want (a.k.a. can afford).

I personally would really like it if Lego did a big UCS set of Minas Tirith. That would be just too awesome! :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

To be honest, in my opinion, I think it would be a better idea (and the way I would prefer) if they did Minas Tirith like they are doing Helm's Deep. One large set and then some smaller sets that can attach to it but unlike Helm's Deep, do a variety of wall sections with some troops to represent the various armies that were at that battle. That way it could be a general release instead of just a Lego store release and folks can built it as big or small as they want (a.k.a. can afford).

I would prefer this too, but Minas Tirith is basically one whole thing, whereas Helm's Deep has two or three main sections.

Basically, if you split it over two or three sets, it would look incomplete. Helm's Deep looks fine without Uruk-Hai Attack, although it looks better with.

Also, Minas Tirith is a city on seven levels, but only really the top and bottom levels play much part in the movies, so that leaves five levels of lovely looking houses with not much going on.

If it were to become a set, I'd like to see the city as one set, with the Beacon as an add on set, as it is separate from the citadel. The funeral pyre room is also seperated by a bridge, but if that was used to flesh out the buildings in the remaining five levels of the citadel I wouldn't really mind.

As much as I'd love a UCS Minas Tirith I really can't see it happening :thumbdown:

Think of how annoyed people would be if they couldn't afford one of the most memorable and important settings from LOTR :wink:

I can see it being similar to Helms Deep with differnt walls and things that can connect together. Each wall having an individual feature like catapult or seige weapon :cry_happy:

But I think anything more than that is wishful thinking :laugh:

I'm not quite sure how that will work, but one option is to include the main part of Minas Tirith, and then have curved walls so we can add on the lower levels of the city.

I'd particularly like if all future buildings were like Helm's Deep, i.e. be in small-scale but still recognisable and minifig-compatible. :classic:

This is a little bit of an aside, as it concerns The Hobbit sets. I shall put it in a spoiler box in case people don't want to know any more about the plot or the direction of the movie, but if you've seen the trailer and read the books most of the information isn't new anyway :)

A new vlog came out today, and pretty much revealed where the first movie will end, that being when the dwarves and Bilbo are riding the barrels before they reach Esgaroth.

Without wishing to speculate too much, this means most of the material from movie one would seem to come from the first nine chapters, plus sections they add in (such as Gandalf fighting Thror in Dol Guldur). This means that confirmed locations (from either the trailer, vlogs, images and castings) are Hobbiton, the Trollshaws, Rivendell, the Goblin cave, Gollum's cave, Warg's clearing, Beorn's Halls, Spider's lairs in Mirkwood, the Barrels down the Forest River and Dol Guldur.

There is no evidence for it, but Thranduil's halls will almost certainly feature and the Eyrie will probably feature too.

Out of all the source material I have seen, Beorn's Halls seems designed to be made into a Lego set, and in my mind I can already imagine play features for the Warg Clearing and Barrel sets. More speculation :D

I hope some of this is useful information, even if it is just whetting the appetite for December :D