wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Is any one thinking about getting 31004 Fierce Flyer to represent a Great Eagle?

Good call, but I'd be swapping out the white bricks for something more in brown or black.

For those in the UK who took advantage of the good deals on the hobbit sets - I had an email this morning telling me the dispatch ectimate has been pushed for to 10-12th December

Just got email from amazon.uk that the 5 Hobbit sets they had (no Barrels) have shipped! Hopefully I'll have them early next week, which will go a small way to make up for the fact that we dont get the film until the 26th.

I just bought my first set of lego in years.. YEARS!

The temptation of the Hobbit and LOTR sets are just to damn hard too resist. I clearly remember sending lego a handwritten piece of paper in the mail, asking them to sign up a license deal with LOTR. Guess they thought it was pretty cute, and they sent me some small merchandise figs and replied that a license like that would take too long to develop, and probably wouldn't sell.. Lego were always kind to reply though

10 years later as a "grown up" you get confronted with the dilemma of either spending your money on groceries, or a huge Lego The Hobbit set. Well i chose the lego set, An unexpected gathering, and had just as fun building it as i had when i built Legos as a kid.. The detailing is marvelous and the minifigs are beautiful! This whole thing tickles my Lego-nerve, and makes me want to build the whole damn story. The Tolkien universe is so huge and interesting.

And as an excuse for the girlfriend, the Hobbit house looks pretty darn good in the right settings. Actually like a modern art decoration. She will change her mind when i get the rest of the sets ;)

Now that these sets are available I'm realizing how much i sorely miss that lovely $20 price range. Riddles is a bit redundent to buy, and my girlfriend intends to get me the Mirkwood Spiders set for Christmas so I have to wait on that one. It is unfortunate that with the TRU mark up, or shipping, even the Barrels set is basically 50 bucks. Maybe others have more money to spend on lego, but day to day the twenty dollar sets are the only ones I can afford. Does anyone else feel we may have benifitted from one additional set at the lower end of the price range?

Does anyone else feel we may have benifitted from one additional set at the lower end of the price range?

I completely agree with you. It would have been nice to have a $20 set in this wave.

I agree. It is weird how we have a $10 set (which is unheard of) and then a $30, $40, $50, $70, $100.... just seems like a weird stair-step. Obviously I'd always want cheaper sets, but I'm sure they have a reason behind it. Shelob is one of my favorite sets of LOTR, so that hit the right price point. The Superman set too and the Marvel sets actually. You're right, the more I think of it, the better that price point is.

And thanks for the pictures up top. That is awesome seeing the characters holding (and smiling) with their LEGO dopplegangers.

Edited by TheLegoDr

Now that I look back at how this first wave was developed, it seems like, had LEGO not been designing sets for the Mirkwood and Barrel scenes, they could have consolidated the price, piece, and figure count into one bigger set and made the Troll scene. While that would have given us no elves and one less set this wave, we would have been most likely given Orcrist, as well as three unique, massive Trolls. Now, I am very happy we've gotten more elves, but I hope that the way that these waves seem to be heading won't deter LEGO from making the Trollshaws.

Is any one thinking about getting 31004 Fierce Flyer to represent a Great Eagle?

Totally. I don't know if the Creator design team planned it that way on purpose, but it's perfect.

Nice, Martin freeman(Bilbo) keeps talking about how he's proud of being a minifig on Colbert report.

Always cool hearing when actors with minifigs of them enjoy it.

I just bought my first set of lego in years.. YEARS!

[...]

And as an excuse for the girlfriend, the Hobbit house looks pretty darn good in the right settings. Actually like a modern art decoration. She will change her mind when i get the rest of the sets ;)

That's absolutely brilliant! I love to hear when more people join the hobby! So, are you also planning to get the LotR sets? =)

Nice, Martin freeman(Bilbo) keeps talking about how he's proud of being a minifig on Colbert report.

Always cool hearing when actors with minifigs of them enjoy it.

Indeed! I always thought it was a shame to spend a minifig on an actor who didn't appreciate it; and as a fan already of Martin Freeman (immortalised to me as Dr. Watson), I'm joyed to hear of his joy of being Lego. =)

Edited by Multiverse

Have any actors came out saying they don't like their LEGO counterpart?

I liked Martin Freeman as Dr Watson, but I first noticed him in Love Actually. That was an unusual job haha.

And I agree that eagle looks amazingly "realistic."

Hey guys, i'm going to Austria and Germany this weekend and would like to know if The Hobbit sets are alredy selling in Toys r us ? Also i'm wondering if uruk hai polybags are available in these countries .. Thanks for the reply !

I must be a total douche, but I'm not very excited from seeing the Hobbit set :S Maybe because there are so many dwarves, of whom I'm not too fond... My brother is getting the Mirkwood piece, and I was thinking of the Goblin Town (Goblins are my favourite fantasy creatures), but the Swedish prices of EVERYTHING are higher than everywhere else, so I might just buy someting small... I haven't seen the barrel escape in Swedish web stores either... That would be a nice set...

Tomorrow, though, we are buying the Helm's Deep set of LotR, for opening on Christmas Eve when Heimdallr comes with the presents... Haha :) I would I had lots of bricks so I could expand it like some people have done :( Already have Moria, Amon Sûl, Gandalf Arrives and the Uruk-Hai army... The orc forge would be nice to have... But it's 490 SEK (74.31 USD)... Is that too high a price?

Hey guys, i'm going to Austria and Germany this weekend and would like to know if The Hobbit sets are alredy selling in Toys r us ? Also i'm wondering if uruk hai polybags are available in these countries .. Thanks for the reply !

Toys r us germany has the sets and sells them. I don't know about the polybags and Austria. In general, polybags turn up in Austria quite frequently actually, but the Uruk Hai will probably already be gone if it ever were there. But who knows, may be you are lucky...

The orc forge would be nice to have... But it's 490 SEK (74.31 USD)... Is that too high a price?

Retail price for the orc forge is $39,99 or 49,99€, so, yes, >$74 definitely are too much. Aside from the figs, the parts, while useful, are fairly common nowadays and there's not enough weaponry for the included orcs and Uruks to make this an army builder. I think it's nice to have on display, but you should definitely look out for discounts if you think about getting it.

Retail price for the orc forge is $39,99 or 49,99€, so, yes, >$74 definitely are too much. Aside from the figs, the parts, while useful, are fairly common nowadays and there's not enough weaponry for the included orcs and Uruks to make this an army builder. I think it's nice to have on display, but you should definitely look out for discounts if you think about getting it.

Thanks, then my suspicion was right. But the sad thing is, you won't get it cheaper than 490 SEK here... It's the cheapest I can find. I've seen it elsewhere for 590 SEK and up to 8-900 SEK... So Sweden is really a bad country for buying LEGO :(

By the way, cheapest Helm's Deep in Sweden is 1099 SEK... It's 166.50 USD... That's sick :(

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

I must be a total douche, but I'm not very excited from seeing the Hobbit set :S Maybe because there are so many dwarves, of whom I'm not too fond... My brother is getting the Mirkwood piece, and I was thinking of the Goblin Town (Goblins are my favourite fantasy creatures), but the Swedish prices of EVERYTHING are higher than everywhere else, so I might just buy someting small... I haven't seen the barrel escape in Swedish web stores either... That would be a nice set...

Tomorrow, though, we are buying the Helm's Deep set of LotR, for opening on Christmas Eve when Heimdallr comes with the presents... Haha :) I would I had lots of bricks so I could expand it like some people have done :( Already have Moria, Amon Sûl, Gandalf Arrives and the Uruk-Hai army... The orc forge would be nice to have... But it's 490 SEK (74.31 USD)... Is that too high a price?

That seems way high, even by Swedish pricing. Double check where you are looking to get it from. The Orc Forge was the exclusive set, so in the US only Tagt and Lego stores had it. I noticed it popping up on Amazon at insanely high prices.

The barrel escape is also an exclusive set. You it may only be in one store chain.

Edited by Faefrost

That seems way high, even by Swedish pricing. Double check where you are looking to get it from. The Orc Forge was the exclusive set, so in the US only Tagt and Lego stores had it. I noticed it popping up on Amazon at insanely high prices.

The barrel escape is also an exclusive set. You it may only be in one store chain.

There are quite a few places with LEGO here. Webhallen seems to have the best offers, but compared to all prices I've seen here, they too are overpricing. BR and Lekia are extremely expensive.

I've seen the Helm's Deep on tradera.com (similar to eBay) for about half the price of Webhallen (1099 SEK = $166.5, while the auction on tradera starts at 500 SEK). But that auction ends in five days... Other places seem to sell Helm's Deep for up to 1299 SEK.

I haven't had time to check Toys 'R' Us yet, but I wouldn't expect them to be cheaper either.

Maybe the best option would just be buying it from abroad?

EDIT: Just checked Toys R Us, Helm's Deep is 1399 SEK... That's $211.95... And even the tiny Gandalf Arrives is 139 SEK, which is $21...

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

There are quite a few places with LEGO here. Webhallen seems to have the best offers, but compared to all prices I've seen here, they too are overpricing. BR and Lekia are extremely expensive.

I've seen the Helm's Deep on tradera.com (similar to eBay) for about half the price of Webhallen (1099 SEK = $166.5, while the auction on tradera starts at 500 SEK). But that auction ends in five days... Other places seem to sell Helm's Deep for up to 1299 SEK.

I haven't had time to check Toys 'R' Us yet, but I wouldn't expect them to be cheaper either.

Maybe the best option would just be buying it from abroad?

EDIT: Just checked Toys R Us, Helm's Deep is 1399 SEK... That's $211.95... And even the tiny Gandalf Arrives is 139 SEK, which is $21...

Don't compare prices to US, the whole rest of the world has higher prices than there. Helm's Deep is $200 here, Gandalf Arrives is $23, so don't feel so bad. Webhallen looks like a decent deal at that price.

Don't compare prices to US, the whole rest of the world has higher prices than there. Helm's Deep is $200 here, Gandalf Arrives is $23, so don't feel so bad. Webhallen looks like a decent deal at that price.

Oh, thanks :0 But it seems the Euro-countries have cheaper too... Maybe it's got something to do with those currencies. But then I don't need to feel ripped-off when buying lego, though it is difficult while studying to afford it... But then again, I get 2,800 SEK in "study contribution" (don't know if that's correct, but in Sweden, we get money when we study) every month, and it's free to go to the university so I can't complain.