wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Pardon the randomness of my comment, but I just can't shake the excitement from this line! LotR was my #1 most-wanted theme, so it's still hard to believe it's now a reality. :sweet:

I'm getting really excited for Comic Con next week. I'm hoping for some new set reveals there (maybe even a hint at The Hobbit sets).

Agreed! Although I am a bit greedier than you are since I want nothing less than the whole line reveal at the SDCC. :grin:

However, it may be wishful thinking on my part and in all honesty, we will probably be lucky if Lego shows off a few minifigures over the weekend. Bilbo and Mr. Oakenshield perhaps? Regardless, we should see some sort of set list leak out around August for the Hobbit line. (crossing fingers)

I wish I'd seen them, I missed it. Now I've got to wait. I really want the Uruk hai army, mostly for the rohan figs, well torsos really...

It some ways this could be my favourite set. There is nothing in there that you wouldn't want! Great Uruks, good ballista, nice addition to the deeping wall and Eomer and a soldier of Rohan. The ultimate army builder.

It some ways this could be my favourite set. There is nothing in there that you wouldn't want! Great Uruks, good ballista, nice addition to the deeping wall and Eomer and a soldier of Rohan. The ultimate army builder.

To be honest, I'm not too bothered about LOTR armies- I've done that to death with Games Workshop's games, but I want the parts for Lego Castle stuff. Less sure about how I'll incorporate the Uruks into it, but I'm working on that :)

wait,I am in Europe (Serbia), and we hade lotr sets for quite a while now, I would say more then two months? maybe even longer...

the price is another subject... :ugh:

As is being discussed over in the Star Wars forum, the announcement today is for the UCS B-Wing. So no LotR set, sadly. :sceptic:

As is being discussed over in the Star Wars forum, the announcement today is for the UCS B-Wing. So no LotR set, sadly. :sceptic:

Was there any chance of a LOTR set announcement for today anyways, though? Any more chances that may come by for the 1st half of July,

or was that it? Since I'm really looking forward to seeing the next sets...

Edited by General Magma

Do you think there will be an exclusive LOTR minifig over the Comic-Con at San Diego? I really hope there isn't because I wouldn't be able to get it :thumbdown:

Was there any chance of a LOTR set announcement for today anyways, though? Any more chances that may come by for the 1st half of July,

or was that it? Since I'm really looking forward to seeing the next sets...

There were several rumors swirling about what the newly announced set would be; granted, Lord of the Rings didn't stand as good of a chance as a new theme, but it was a possibility.

Don't forget, Comic Con is next week. There's a good chance we'll see some Lego LotR and/or Hobbit news come out of San Diego.

There were several rumors swirling about what the newly announced set would be; granted, Lord of the Rings didn't stand as good of a chance as a new theme, but it was a possibility.

What rumors? *oh2*

Also, I think they might display some Hobbit figures at Comic Con, but that's about it. :wink:

Bought the whole line including the orc forge, spend a fortune but it was worth it i guess. The minifigs are superb ! the new weapons are cool, i really like new horse as well. My fav set is probably uruk hai army. i hope we get more sets soon :grin:

What rumors? *oh2*

Also, I think they might display some Hobbit figures at Comic Con, but that's about it. :wink:

Well, hopefully we'll see one or two sets, maybe new Warg molds (?!),

and otherwise it would be neat to see all 13 dwarves with Bilbo Baggins... although a bit unlikely, perhaps,

so there's a better chance of seeing Bilbo and Thorin Oakenshield.

and otherwise it would be neat to see all 13 dwarves with Bilbo Baggins... although a bit unlikely, perhaps, so there's a better chance of seeing Bilbo and Thorin Oakenshield.

Oh, I want all 13 Dwarves!! I wonder what they’ll use for their hoods?

Oh, I want all 13 Dwarves!! I wonder what they’ll use for their hoods?

Hoods?

THE-HOBBIT-DWARVES.jpg

If there are any scenes where they wear hoods, then I don't know how the large-bearded ones will be handled like that...

But the only dwarf with a hood on that picture has a relatively small beard, probably to be printed on the head itself. (Although a piece

similar to the Fantasy Era dwarf's beards and Gimli's would be better, in a smaller size)

Those are their battle costumes for the Battle of Five Armies at the end. During the adventure (i.e., the subject of the first movie), the books are very specific as to their appearance.

Balin: Red hood, white beard

Dwalin: Dark-green hood, blue beard

Fili + Kili: Blue hoods, yellow beards

Dori + Nori: Purple hoods

Ori: Grey hood

Oin: Brown hood

Gloin: White hood

Bifur + Bofur: Yellow hood

Bombur: Pale green hood

Thorin Oakenshield: Sky-blue hood with a long silver tassel, white beard

Hoods?

THE-HOBBIT-DWARVES.jpg

If there are any scenes where they wear hoods, then I don't know how the large-bearded ones will be handled like that...

But the only dwarf with a hood on that picture has a relatively small beard, probably to be printed on the head itself. (Although a piece

similar to the Fantasy Era dwarf's beards and Gimli's would be better, in a smaller size)

I think he was referring to the dwarves in the book, which do wear hoods, although they don't in the film.

I don’t think it’s a book vs film thing. As I said, in the book they change into battle gear for the Battle of Five Armies at the end of the book (= end of the second film), and I think that’s what this promotional poster depicts. But before that they have their cloaks and hoods for the adventure.

For reference, here are their depictions from METW. Pretty accurate to the book, and more-or-less how I imagine them.

Balin.jpgDwalin.jpgFili.jpgKili.jpgDori.jpgNori.jpgOri.jpgOin.jpgGloin.jpgBifur.jpgBofur.jpgBombur.jpgThorinII.jpg

I don’t think it’s a book vs film thing. As I said, in the book they change into battle gear for the Battle of Five Armies at the end of the book (= end of the second film), and I think that’s what this promotional poster depicts. But before that they have their cloaks and hoods for the adventure.

On the contrary, I think this is precisely a book vs. film thing. The Hobbit trailers we've seen so far show scenes from the first film, well before the battle of 5 armies, and they are dressed as depicted above. Dreams of the colorful hooded versions as described as they are in the book are just that: dreams.

This part, I'm sure, goes without saying, but whatever we get in LEGO form will be representative of what we see in the movies, not the book.

I think TLG will only show Bilbo Baggins and the dwarves that use Gimli's beard in the Comic-Con, I found really doubtfull that they'll show the new molds for some of the beards. :thumbup:

Dreams of the colorful hooded versions as described as they are in the book are just that: dreams.

Huh. Maybe, but you don’t have to be mean about it.

Anyway, that image is very dark, so I increased the brightness and saturation, and lo and behold:

THE-HOBBIT-DWARVES.png

Thorin in blue, Balin in red, Bombur in pale green… I don’t know who’s who of the rest, but there are definitely some colors other than grey represented. Since LEGO always comes with a bit more colorfulness and whimsy than real life (the Moria troll was NOT bright blue in the movie, was he?), I think I still have something to look forward to.

Huh. Maybe, but you don’t have to be mean about it.

Whoah, I'm not sure how you measure such a thing, but by my estimation whatever I was being was very, very far from "mean". What I was intending to be was clear, but just so there's no further confusion, I have no intention of being anything but a friendly contributor to this site. If what I said or how I said it didn't come across that way, I offer my sincerest apology.

Thorin in blue, Balin in red, Bombur in pale green… I don’t know who’s who of the rest, but there are definitely some colors other than grey represented.

Increasing the saturation definitely brings out the details of coloring on the dwarves. The thing is though, there was never any supposition on anyone's part that the dwarves were all grey. Rather, you were saying that these were costumes for later in the story, and that we should or could expect costumes that included the dwarves wearing hoods as detailed in the books. My point was that based on what we've seen in the trailers, that is not a realistic expectation. Not trying to rain on your parade or start a fight, just pointing out what I viewed to be a logical fallacy.

Since LEGO always comes with a bit more colorfulness and whimsy than real life (the Moria troll was NOT bright blue in the movie, was he?), I think I still have something to look forward to.

Indeed you do have much to look forward to, as do we all. Of course TLG works with their own color palette, and as you rightly pointed out, there's plenty of colorful costuming to work with on the part of the LEGO designers. I can't wait to see what they come up with. If the LotR designs are any indication (and I'm sure that they are), we're in for some fabulous minifigs.

That still doesn't satisfy my speculation on how they'll do Bombur!

He's way too fat (in the book and the movie!) to be depicted as a standard dwarf ala Gimli.