wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

My only worry with this line is that I am afraid that it will only last until the release of the second Hobbit movie since Lego shows an interest in tying their Licensed themes to the release of movies and not beyond, i.e. Harry Potter and POTC.

I think The Hobbit films will stay in the minds of the general public a lot longer than Harry Potter or PotC. Although all high grossing films, The Hobbit will win more awards (because it'll be infinitely times better :tongue:).

Another separating factor is the Tolkien universe, similarly to Star Wars though not quite on the same scale, is very expansive so there's plenty of ideas to explore.

Edited by EnShinNoi

Does anyone else find it funny that the teaser website for LEGO LOTR, with the little descriptions of the characters, is not accessible on LEGO.com? I just find it strange. Maybe it is just in my region, but I always have to search the site on Google if I want to check it.

It's not just in your region. I have to Google it too. It's really weird.

I wonder how much I'll end up spending in 2012, with LoTR and great SW?

I think The Hobbit films will stay in the minds of the general public a lot longer than Harry Potter or PotC. Although all high grossing films, The Hobbit will win more awards (because it'll be infinitely times better :tongue:).

Another separating factor is the Tolkien universe, similarly to Star Wars though not quite on the same scale, is very expansive so there's plenty of ideas to explore.

Very true. However Lego doesn't seem to do sets based on books but rather what is seen in the movies, for understandable reasons. Their target audience probably isn't going to pick up a 1,000 page book but rather would watch the movie and be influenced by a scene to purchase a set based on it. Regardless, I see your point since the LOTR movies have a plethora of scenes that are iconic enough for Lego to create sets based upon them.

As long as we get a substantial version of Minas Tirth, I will be satisfied with the line.

My only worry with this line is that I am afraid that it will only last until the release of the second Hobbit movie since Lego shows an interest in tying their Licensed themes to the release of movies and not beyond, i.e. Harry Potter and POTC.

Yes, but these sets look more based towards older people, not 5-9 year olds who have probably never even seen the movies. These movies came out in the early 2000s, but look! We're still raving about them.

Due to the upcoming Hobbit movie release (and the future LOTR Lego sets) I was motivated to reread the Hobbit recently. After watching the trailer a few (hundred) times, some things become apparent. The movie will expand on many of the things that Tolken just mentions in the book like Gandalf and his gang of wizard friends :grin: going after the Necromancer. Perhaps there is a chance we can have a set based on that since it alludes to a sword fight between Gandalf and the dark wizard in the trailer. There is also the chance that we could get Beorn (the man-bear) in megafigure form. But it sounds like the second movie will contain the most action and that is when I think we will get the best sets like the encounter with Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies.

Yes, but these sets look more based towards older people, not 5-9 year olds who have probably never even seen the movies. These movies came out in the early 2000s, but look! We're still raving about them.

Well, there's a fact to back both up, but I have to agree with JackJonespaw on this.

Perhaps there is a chance we can have a set based on that since it alludes to a sword fight between Gandalf and the dark wizard in the trailer. There is also the chance that we could get Beorn (the man-bear) in megafigure form. But it sounds like the second movie will contain the most action and that is when I think we will get the best sets like the encounter with Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies.

The "wizard" that Gandalf is fighting is actually Thrain, who has gone mad in the dungeons of the Necromancer, according to the trailer analysis at theonering.net .

The Hobbit sets should bring a Bag End. That is the only Hobbit set that I'm looking forward to, having no idea what they are. Funny...

The "wizard" that Gandalf is fighting is actually Thrain, who has gone mad in the dungeons of the Necromancer, according to the trailer analysis at theonering.net .

The Hobbit sets should bring a Bag End. That is the only Hobbit set that I'm looking forward to, having no idea what they are. Funny...

Yup, he fights Thrain. As well as the thirteen dwarves of Thorin's Company, Thrain (Thorin's father) and Thror (Thorin's grandfather) have been confirmed to appear, as well as several other dwarves seen in the vlogs. This means we will probably see a fight scene between Thror and his dwarves against Azog and his goblins, told in flashback, to give more action to the first film.

In regards to the wizards against the Necromancer, three of the five wizards are involved, being Saruman, Gandalf and Radagast, and are joined by the elves Galadriel and Elrond. It's also possible that Cirdan, Celeborn and other elves will appear in the films, but no cast announcements have been made yet.

Well that's what I get for relying on my pedestrian knowledge of Tolken's world and not looking at the trailer spoilers. Anyway it looks like it would make for an exciting set with a little wizard vs. wizard (or not wizard since I am unsure of who Thrain is) action.

Edited by djmangunz

The lego site for this theme is offline, lets hope some updates are coming!

I've already started saving my money. 2012 is going to be one of the most expensive years for LEGO in a looooong time... at least for me. :cry_sad:

The lego site for this theme is offline, lets hope some updates are coming!

They added the Nazgûl and the Uruk-hai to the list of figures,

but they still didn't get Eomer done right... hope they show us the actual Eomer figure instead of the Rohirrim soldier.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, last year we had news for the January waves of sets around July,

so I suspect we'll hear more about The Hobbit sets by then. Perhaps they'll toss in a few LOTR sets too, who knows...

Perhaps a little bit of a mix with the majority of The Hobbit sets.

~ General Magma

They added the Nazgûl and the Uruk-hai to the list of figures,

but they still didn't get Eomer done right... hope they show us the actual Eomer figure instead of the Rohirrim soldier.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, last year we had news for the January waves of sets around July,

so I suspect we'll hear more about The Hobbit sets by then. Perhaps they'll toss in a few LOTR sets too, who knows...

Perhaps a little bit of a mix with the majority of The Hobbit sets.

~ General Magma

Maybe some battlepacks as well... :tongue:

~Dwarf

I noticed a while ago that the Moria goblins and the Mordor orcs have double-sided heads, allowing for more variation within armies, and it made me wonder if the Uruks have double-sided heads also. I do like the face they have for the Uruks, but not every Uruk has the white hand on their face. Has there been any indication of double-sided heads? I would love to be able to have Uruks with unpainted faces and maybe a bit of a different look. I'm guessing that, from the pics we've seen, they have just the one face, but one can always hope... :sweet:

I really think it is a great licensed theme, I think the job Lego has put into these legos is incredible.

This are my opinion of each set:

Gandalf arrives: A little set, has one Frodo and a Gandalf. This is great as a start, but I think Gandalf could be better, the beard is awesome but the staff sucks. Frodo is Ok.

Shelob attacks: Nice spider, a great sam, another Frodo, and GOLLUM. It is a pretty good set but the entrance to the cave could be better.

Uruk Hai army: A great battle packs, Eomer could be replaced but good,

Orc forge: Nice set.

Weathertop: I think the price is realyy $49 but it is really awesome.

Mines of Moria: It is ok, lots of great figures and the troll but it could be way better.

Helms Deep: It could be taller, and the back part could be attached, but great set.

I noticed a while ago that the Moria goblins and the Mordor orcs have double-sided heads, allowing for more variation within armies, and it made me wonder if the Uruks have double-sided heads also. I do like the face they have for the Uruks, but not every Uruk has the white hand on their face. Has there been any indication of double-sided heads? I would love to be able to have Uruks with unpainted faces and maybe a bit of a different look. I'm guessing that, from the pics we've seen, they have just the one face, but one can always hope... :sweet:

Problem with them all having double-sided heads is they'd all need helmets or a hair piece covering the back-face. Not necessarily a big problem, but bald heads would be a nice additional way to have variation.

So I post a question about battlepacks for LOTR on the official Lego Facebook page, and to my surprise I got an answer! Their answer to the question is tantalizingly open to interpretation, however...

8vp2q8.jpg

What do you guys think?

~Dwarf

Well, maybe there is a RAGE face and a slightly less RAGE face.

Problem with them all having double-sided heads is they'd all need helmets or a hair piece covering the back-face. Not necessarily a big problem, but bald heads would be a nice additional way to have variation.

Well, yes, but there are very few moments where Uruks are not wearing helmets or have long hair, and the only bald Uruks are the Berserkers. Even so, I have a strong feeling that they won't have double-sided heads, but we may be pleasantly surprised come June.

So I post a question about battlepacks for LOTR on the official Lego Facebook page, and to my surprise I got an answer! Their answer to the question is tantalizingly open to interpretation, however...

8vp2q8.jpg

What do you guys think?

~Dwarf

Sorry for the double post, but I need to comment on this. To me, this sounds like a confirmation without it really being a "confirmation". There have been times where I will come up with ideas for sets and send them to TLG to get their thoughts. They usually respond by saying that they appreciate the enthusiasm, but do not take ideas from outside the company. They never gave any sort of indication or hope that my ideas would become real. But this... this sounds like they are saying yes to BPs, but in time. If they do create BPs (and ones hopefully more like the Castle and Kindoms ones) then this theme may become one of LEGO's best ever.

Well, yes, but there are very few moments where Uruks are not wearing helmets or have long hair, and the only bald Uruks are the Berserkers. Even so, I have a strong feeling that they won't have double-sided heads, but we may be pleasantly surprised come June.

Sorry for the double post, but I need to comment on this. To me, this sounds like a confirmation without it really being a "confirmation". There have been times where I will come up with ideas for sets and send them to TLG to get their thoughts. They usually respond by saying that they appreciate the enthusiasm, but do not take ideas from outside the company. They never gave any sort of indication or hope that my ideas would become real. But this... this sounds like they are saying yes to BPs, but in time. If they do create BPs (and ones hopefully more like the Castle and Kindoms ones) then this theme may become one of LEGO's best ever.

I actually hope that they are more along the lines of the older Star Wars ones which were $10 and not exclusive to Lego shop@home and Lego stores. But heck, I will honestly be happy with any army pack that doesn't contain characters models and is less than $20. I could totally see myself buying tons of Battlepacks if they are like what I wish listed above.

Edited by dwarf-brik

What do you guys think?

This does sound pretty good, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. It would be a relatively cheaper way to mass an army and recreate the epic battle scenes from the movies.

This does sound pretty good, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. It would be a relatively cheaper way to mass an army and recreate the epic battle scenes from the movies.

Can't see why they couldn't do both. Like to know the % of sales is from AOFL's. Listen to us Lego we want Battle Packs!!!!!!! please :excited:

Yes, battle-packs would be awesome, but it would be a thing that would be expensive, too. :sceptic:

Yes, battle-packs would be awesome, but it would be a thing that would be expensive, too. :sceptic:

This is Lego-which is to say, money will always be an issue. Still, they shouldn't be more than $10-$15.

~Dwarf