wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

as much as i luv LotR the movie trilogy i really don't see what a LEGO LotR theme will bring to the table, castles, trees/forests, wizards, dwarfs, elves, been all done before already

As opposed to the non-licensed castle themes, which never repeat anything.

I have to say that I completely disagree that Lego Lord of the Rings would not bring anything new to the table. How about the elves, hair pieces for the hobbits, hill houses in the shire, the ents, new orcs faces, a balroc, and perhaps some new wizard staffs just to name a few new things that Lego could bring to the table. You also have to remember that Lord of the Rings has been voted as one of the best books of our time so the fan base is huge. I think that if Lego does a good job and releases several waves I think they may just have a blockbuster theme here and I really hope that they do it right. I do not need a 4000 piece Minis Tirith but, I would like Lego to try and do a nice full city. Also, I would really like to see some proper battlepacks for this theme. Hopefully Lego will do it right and we will get to benefit from some really cool editions to the Lego universe.

Yeah, the article doesn't say that the Hobbit game would have anything to do with Lego, it is just mentioned immediately after Lego Batman 2. Following the story to the source, a linked LA Times interview, it becomes even more apparent. Not all the games that the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is making are Lego-related and there will certainly be a few not-Lego-related computer games based on The Hobbit when the time comes. Not to say that there won't be a Lego game too, but this doesn't prove it.

In agreement with Haltiamieli, if you read the original interview here http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1018-ct-warner-interactive-20111018,0,7733264.story

rather than someones report of a report of an interview, it actually says Warner (who make the lego games) are making a new lego batman game, and a new game based on the hobbit. Someone has read that and its gradually turned into 'a new lego batman and lego hobbit game'... which isn't what it says :( and if anyone was going to be making a lego hobbit/LOTR game it would be them.

(edited as link didn't work.)

Edited by andhe

Yeah. I think it's less about giving us truly unique sets and more about giving us the licensed characters, settings, and scenes from a deeply developed property from one of the best (and earliest) world-builders of fantasy fiction, J.R.R. Tolkien. I'm pretty sure TLG's thinking of the demand ($$$) rather than creating sets that are 100% new and unique to their past offerings. For example, did they need to do POTC since they already had their own pirates line that they could've just expanded? And I'm with Jack Bricker on the possibilities...

I have to say that I completely disagree that Lego Lord of the Rings would not bring anything new to the table. How about the elves, hair pieces for the hobbits, hill houses in the shire, the ents, new orcs faces, a balroc, and perhaps some new wizard staffs just to name a few new things that Lego could bring to the table. ... Hopefully Lego will do it right and we will get to benefit from some really cool editions to the Lego universe.

But also Haltiamieli is right to point out that the original article more clearly interpreted doesn't say anything about a LEGO Hobbit game. I posted a comment with my $0.02 on the LEGO Flickr group yesterday that captures my thoughts best. It seems appropriate to post it here as well:

Yeah, this would be a dream come true. But as pointed out, that article isn't looking like it's anywhere near to confirming my dream. It's good to remember though that TLG has been re-releasing and creating more Fantasy-related minifigs and relatable accessories via the Collectible Minifigs. [A Hobbit/Tolkien Licensed Theme] would be an easy enough thing to do [at this point] production-wise with the elven ears, dwarf beards/legs, etc. Don't *need* to produce new pieces, if they just wanted to test reception. Besides, if a relatively small property like Prince of Persia can get a theme to *build* hype for an untested film from a successful video game nowhere near the scale of Tolkien's popularity, and then POTC gets one somewhat after the fact of the franchise's heyday, maybe TLG and movie merchandisers are trying to think ahead of the game on this one, especially given that Tolkien sets would be *more* guaranteed to sell since the books have a truly international, multigenerational, tried-and-tested fan base. Alongside Star Wars, it's the Holy Grail for LEGO who has a truly int'l, multigenerational, and extremely geeky customer base. The European market would go nuts a nd the folks here in NA would probably

as well. And The Hobbit is definitely the more kid-friendly chapter of the Middle-Earth saga. Whose with me? (I type this pretending I'm somehow convincing TLG...ha...silly fanboy.) All that said, it's LEGO, so we can build Tolkien sets on our own anyway.

Yeah. I think it's less about giving us truly unique sets and more about giving us the licensed characters, settings, and scenes from a deeply developed property from one of the best (and earliest) world-builders of fantasy fiction, J.R.R. Tolkien.

I can't think of ANYTHING that I'd want to them do for LOTR that wouldn't be original. Yes, they've done towers before, but nothing like Orthanc; fortresses, but nothing like Helms Deep (if you would even call it that). Nothing like the watchtower, nothing like any of the buildings in Rivendell or Lothlorien, nothing like Mount Doom, nothing like Moria.

What's ironic is that periodically we get people complain that there's nothing new in the Castle themes... another castle?

I'll repeat I'd be happy with either a second fantasy era (with elves... I feel like we were robbed with elves in the first one) or LOTR... TLG will get more of my money doing LOTR, though.

I think that when the Hobbit movies come out the LotR craze will fire up again. I think everyone keeps forgetting that the LotR Trilogy made a ton of money and dominated the box office for a very long time. Quite a few people even went back and watched the movies again after all three were released. It was extremely popular and will be again once the Hobbit movies come out. TLG missed out last time so I think they will take advantage of this second opportunity and release a Hobbit/LotR theme. As to the people who think that a LotR theme won't give us anything new for castles or fantasy sets I say just look at all the new pieces in the PotC theme.

I've been trying to put together a list of upcoming games in the Lego Video Game series and I have found zero evidence of a Lego Hobbit video game, unfortunately. The LA Times interview spoke of many different games. The Hobbit video game is an adaption of the film(s), complete with the likenesses of the actors and completely unrelated to Lego and the developer Traveller's Tales.

As far as toys go, the licensing arrangements have already been made. According to this article a company called The Bridge Direct will be producing the toys for the films. No Lego, no Mega Brands, no Hasbro.

I think that when the Hobbit movies come out the LotR craze will fire up again. I think everyone keeps forgetting that the LotR Trilogy made a ton of money and dominated the box office for a very long time. Quite a few people even went back and watched the movies again after all three were released. It was extremely popular and will be again once the Hobbit movies come out. TLG missed out last time so I think they will take advantage of this second opportunity and release a Hobbit/LotR theme. As to the people who think that a LotR theme won't give us anything new for castles or fantasy sets I say just look at all the new pieces in the PotC theme.

Yes, but the key here is: Is LotR popular amongst kids. And 7-12 year old kids that is. I'm not totally convinced that it is. :/

As far as toys go, the licensing arrangements have already been made. According to this article a company called The Bridge Direct will be producing the toys for the films. No Lego, no Mega Brands, no Hasbro.

Yes, but thats the "Master Toy License" which concerns action figures, toy weapons and stuff like that while lego & Mega bloks etc goes under a "constructible toy license", or whatever it's called.

Edited by Mirandir

I've watched the video and that is what she says, however in what I think is the original article I can't see Lego & The Hobbit linked so strongly...

Link to LA Times interview quoted

She said in the video that WB is planning a LEGO Hobbit Videogame for (end)2012/2013. Hmmm, maybe she means another "LA Times interview"? :hmpf: Sorry, I've no idea.(I trust "theonering.net". Over the last 10 years was "theonering.net" pretty confirmed. That would be the first time that they are wrong.)

I've been trying to put together a list of upcoming games in the Lego Video Game series and I have found zero evidence of a Lego Hobbit video game, unfortunately. The LA Times interview spoke of many different games. The Hobbit video game is an adaption of the film(s), complete with the likenesses of the actors and completely unrelated to Lego and the developer Traveller's Tales.

I think in this article they talked just about the "Master Toy License" for the Hobbit. Ok, "The Bridge Direct" gets the expensive master license. LEGO needs at first a license for just 10-15 Sets (2x waves for 2012 and 2013) and TT-Games for "one" Videogame. If LEGO Hobbit will to be a success -I think than would LEGO to buy an license for more sets?! (Games Workshop has the license for the Hobbit too.)

EDIT: @ Mirandir was earlier... :tongue:

Edited by Elander

In my opinion Lego would treat LOTR/The Hobbit like POTC with half the sets (only a few mind you) split between the older films and new Hobbit film.

That's if everything is true. :wink:

She said in the video that WB is planning a LEGO Hobbit Videogame for (end)2012/2013. Hmmm, maybe she means another "LA Times interview"? :hmpf: Sorry, I've no idea.(I trust "theonering.net". Over the last 10 years was "theonering.net" pretty confirmed. That would be the first time that they are wrong.)

So I was watching, waiting with baited breath for some confirmation... and she references the article we already read that said nothing about the game actually being "LEGO."

I really want it, it's just not confirmation of anything.

Yes, but the key here is: Is LotR popular amongst kids. And 7-12 year old kids that is. I'm not totally convinced that it is. :/

The Hobbit may appeal to kids. The Hobbit novel is a children's book as opposed to the LOTR trilogy which is geared towards adults. I remember reading the Hobbit when I was about 9 or 10, but had to wait till around age 15 to read the LOTR trilogy. I think there is a high possibility for LOTR sets next year based on a mix of the Hobbit movie and older LOTR movies, especially since there are no castle themed sets announced for next year yet.

I don't know if this was posted before, but I was just browsing the web and came across it. What do you think guys, first wave material? :laugh:

OneLug Photo Shoot

I don't know if this was posted before, but I was just browsing the web and came across it. What do you think guys, first wave material? :laugh:

OneLug Photo Shoot

Yepp,

the ents are perfect! Here I can see my dream about an CREATOR ent battle-pack. :blush: An CREATOR ent set for this style would be soo epic. The body remains for 3x different ent-versions constant. The ents need just changing options for some different marks. For example diffrernt foot, nose or beard-sizes. And as an extra some changing color options (some different green or brown surrogate-bricks). Damn, that would be the best creature creator set of all time. :devil:

Edited by Elander

OneLug Photo Shoot

:laugh: Funny!

I'm starting to believe this rumor as well, the announcement of Lego Batman along with a future Hobbit game seems curious, especially since the studio for the Hobbit game is not announced yet. Why would they withhold the name of the studio unless necessary, as it would be if it is a Lego Hobbit game, where announcing the game would be announcing the Lego product line. I'm envisioning an October launch, pretty much replacing the Harry Potter sets, which would then have been released two years earlier.

The LotR movies were extremely popular, and sold lots of merchandise to "geeky" adults and teens, as well as kids. It's pretty much the same market as they've tried to reach with the PotC, late Harry Potter and of course Star Wars, and they have been successful. The Hobbit will probably be more child friendly as the source material is so as well, but somewhat adult subject matter does not stop kids from enjoying it. I was totally into Jurassic Park and Star Wars as a kid, and in many ways I don't see them as much more juvenile than LotR. The excitement of the media and older siblings will have even young kids getting excited for this product line, so it's understandable that Lego is willing to try it.

I'm starting to believe this rumor as well, the announcement of Lego Batman along with a future Hobbit game seems curious, especially since the studio for the Hobbit game is not announced yet. Why would they withhold the name of the studio unless necessary, as it would be if it is a Lego Hobbit game, where announcing the game would be announcing the Lego product line. I'm envisioning an October launch, pretty much replacing the Harry Potter sets, which would then have been released two years earlier.

The LotR movies were extremely popular, and sold lots of merchandise to "geeky" adults and teens, as well as kids. It's pretty much the same market as they've tried to reach with the PotC, late Harry Potter and of course Star Wars, and they have been successful. The Hobbit will probably be more child friendly as the source material is so as well, but somewhat adult subject matter does not stop kids from enjoying it. I was totally into Jurassic Park and Star Wars as a kid, and in many ways I don't see them as much more juvenile than LotR. The excitement of the media and older siblings will have even young kids getting excited for this product line, so it's understandable that Lego is willing to try it.

I have been told from a source I cannot tell that LOTR is confirmed for mid 2012! I asked if it was just going to be the game and I was told "no the whole theme".

I have been told from a source I cannot tell that LOTR is confirmed for mid 2012! I asked if it was just going to be the game and I was told "no the whole theme".

I was told there's also going to be a Star Trek theme.

See? Easy.

Everybody keeps saying they have secret sources that no reliable people can back up. It's ridiculous.

See? Easy.

Whos more trollish? The troll, or the troll who trolls the troll? :laugh:

simple internet logic my dear fellows!