Sign in to follow this  
Bjornu

Suggestions for the Eastern Pirate Theme?

Dear members,

I would like to ask for your suggestions and ideas.

Recently I posted my first Eastern Pirate MOC the Pirate Junk

Because I want to do some more MOCs with this theme,I'm asking you guys to post some ideas or suggestions in this thread. (if you have any ideas :pir-blush:)

Some Information about the pirates:

-The Eastern Pirates come from all over Lego-Asia :pir_laugh2: (don't want one specific country)

-They use both Flintlock and Matchlock rifles, more Matchlock instead of Flintlock. (due to traditions)

-They used many technologies to build seagoing vessels that are able to reach both red and blue- coat territories.

-The Eastern pirates, are labeled as pirates because they are hostile against: European pirates, red coats and blue coats.

-They are loyal to one "Samurai lord" but can be part as a group under the command of one higher rank "Samurai lord"

-They use captured European cannons and "homemade" Eastern Cannons/Mortars ( can also be seen in this post

-They use materials from their home country and materials from the country where they are at that moment ( so they are able to use Bamboo but also Palmtree :pir_laugh2: )

My preferences about the theme:

-Specializing on the Rifle Infantry/Pirates more than fancy Katana ninja's or heavy armored samurai armies.

-Ninja's will appear in my MOCs but only as Assassins or special scout/guards

-I want to create: Land MOCS, Sea MOCS, A combination between the previous points and maybe some Vignettes.

EDIT: I don't have any Blue Samurai theme minifigs, So only the red ones will appear!

( It's good Sebeus reminded me of this!)

If you got any suggestions or Ideas?

Please don't hesitate to comment!

I Thank everyone for reading the post and dropping a comment :pir_laugh2:

Greetz Bjornu

Edited by Bjornu

Well, I would comb through photos of all the currently available Ninjago sets, particularly the Destiny's Bounty. You'll probably want to grab those sails for any ship you build. There will also be other Ninjago elements for buildings for your land-based MOCs.

If you're willing, you could also track down the older asian-based Lego themes. I don't know much about them since it was during my dark age, but it's a lot like Ninjago, except minus all the... zaniness.

I would recommend doing some internet searches to find some inspirational artwork, maybe of period ships and forts, to get an idea of what to make.

Let's see...You could do a little Asian thing, were Blue-coats or Red-coats :bonaparte: (whatever you want) are lined up on the beach, ready to go into the forest. And then out of nowhere this Asian Pirates :jollyroger: come out.

See photo below for an idea for soldiers lined up (of course not that many soldiers):

0.jpg

Edited by Commander Law

You know I was really excited for the Ninjago theme at first. Having recently bought some of the ninjas from the CMF series 1,I said, ok the ninja theme is coming back.

Then TLG created 4 or 5 new ninjas in fun colors and then added them to stupid Power Miners style sets. The only Ninjago set I've bought is a small $5 box set that has a ninja a few weapons and like 20 brick pieces. Ninjas didn't have stupid tanks or dumb flying machines.

I ranted up there because I wish they either would have gone straight Ninja or mix Ninja with Pirates like you are suggesting. It would be so easy to blend the two and put them up against each other. Or even have them as a third faction. I think the AFOLS will have to continue making their own ninja/pirate MOC's because obviously TLG has a different plan.

Bjornu I think your ship you posted is the right direction to blend Pirates and Ninja into the same theme. I think the hardest part will be creating a full crew including a Captain that look like Pirates and Ninjas without looking like the standard ninja.

Then TLG created 4 or 5 new ninjas in fun colors and then added them to stupid Power Miners style sets. The only Ninjago set I've bought is a small $5 box set that has a ninja a few weapons and like 20 brick pieces. Ninjas didn't have stupid tanks or dumb flying machines.

It´s like you have read my mind and where doing the same like me.

Like you, I only bought the $5 set that included the black ninja and some grey knives.

My opinion about the Ninjago theme is:

TLC rather wants to teach children the ninja's were fighting skeletons in: tanks, motors and other rare vehicles than learning the children that the Ninja's and Samurais really existed just like our European knights.

By adding: Muskets, pistols and cannons they showed the stereotype Ninja and Samurai didn't only use Katanas, Bows and Spears.

They rather make sci-fi popular sets than giving a child the ability to fantasize about history.

Because I had a great time as a child fantasizing and mixing up these sets I want to do this again.

Therefor I started last month with the Eastern Pirate Theme.

I hope the MOCs will be in the favor of the Classic-pirate members

Greetz Bjornu

Let's see...You could do a little Asian thing, were Blue-coats or Red-coats :bonaparte: (whatever you want) are lined up on the beach, ready to go into the forest. And then out of nowhere this Asian Pirates :jollyroger: come out.

See photo below for an idea for soldiers lined up (of course not that many soldiers):

0.jpg

Isn't that photo from Age Of Empires 3? Or am I mistaken?

The theme idea is very good. The Japanese Daimyo could be their leader, like the admiral. You could have some Boshin war style ships, and even a huge Castle like Osaka. There are so many possibility's with combining pirates and ninjas.

The theme idea is very good. The Japanese Daimyo could be their leader, like the admiral. You could have some Boshin war style ships, and even a huge Castle like Osaka. There are so many possibility's with combining pirates and ninjas.

That is true indeed about all these MOCs.

But what I want to focus on is moving the Eastern Pirates to the Lego-Caribbean instead of building the big Fortresses like the ones in Japan. By the way, I would like to use the term "Eastern" instead of Chinese, Japanese or Korean. By picking one faction only, I believe I'm limiting myself. Therefore I call them the Eastern faction, a clash of bandits/militia/deserters from all over Lego-Asia :pir_laugh2: that found their new Lord and are now trying to find their own luck in the "new world".

Taking their home technologies/architecture to the "new world" and mixing these up with the European; Bluecoat, Redcoat, Armada and Pirate technologies and Architectures.

By adapting to their new surroundings they may become strong foes

I hope this is something you guys will like/ find interesting

Greetz Bjornu

Darn, I knew someone around here was going to reconize the photo. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Well, one of my suggestions would be to have the Asian Pirates (who were often called Wokou, despite the fact that over half were from China, rather than Japan, towards the end of the eastern age of piracy) have a more LOCAL "good guy" faction to go up against: I.e. maybe something like the Koreans and their famous Turtle Ship (the world's first iron-clad warship)....

As for the pirates themselves.... Depending on what you feel about using non-LEGO custom minifig accessories (i.e. BrickForge, BrickArms, Brick Warriors, etc), you might want to check out BrickTW, who specializes in ancient Chinese weapons and accessories. I've ordered from him in the past, and the products are top-notch (at least as good as actual LEGO minifig accessories), and reasonably priced.

Darn, I knew someone around here was going to reconize the photo. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Haha, I used to play the game quite a lot!

Aside of the fact I do like the Ninjago theme for what it is (I find skeletons in big monster trucks hilarious ;). The Ninjago books we got in the Netherlands do give real info on real ninja's and japanese myth. Which is cool.

The best Ninjago sets for 'realistic' uses in MOC's like you wish to do:

The Fire Temple is a great structure/architecture.

Destiny's Bounty will have great use.

The dojo brings more of those nice oriental windows.

How about an East-Indiaman ?

East + India -> Asia :pir-classic:

Haha, I used to play the game quite a lot!

Me too! However, I haven't even touched the game in a while. :cannon:

Me too! However, I haven't even touched the game in a while. :cannon:

Same. I have moved onto games such as The Total War :pirate_skel1: series- a bit different, but much better. I am sure you have heard of the new release of Shogun 2?

I think Shogun 2 would provide some inspiration for ships and minifigures of an Eastern faction.

"How about an East-Indiaman ?

East + India -> Asia"- Sebeus Iniwum

Haha, very funny! :pir_laugh2:

You are right about the Shogun 2 providing inspiration. :pirate:

Indeed, I was also watching the movies Red Cliff for some inspirations on the Fortresses

Red Cliff...How I love that film. I must say, it is great inspiration and I love Shogun 2. Same my computer lags like hell playing it...

Same. I have moved onto games such as The Total War

Rome total war was great. shame you have to have it on mute because advisers start saying words that I don't think are real :pir-hmpf_bad: .