Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

Steampunk Mafia: Day Four

But Jane there's still nothing in what you've reported that actually makes any kind of case against me. The fact that Meahon and I were suspicious of each other is no secret; he became suspicious of me when I pointed out that I had no reason to trust him. You said you were also suspicious of him, but did you tell him in private you trusted him?

And your quote from Shanalon only actually says that she thinks I'm scum without giving any reason at all why.

I made no claims whatsoever to Shanalon. I am not, and have not claimed to be, the second protector.

I am answering your points, but you are still intent on lynching me, and none of you are considering the predicament we are in and the risk you are taking.

I am a Royalist, you are wrong and making a huge mistake.

For reference, my entire conversation with Shanalon:

I've really thought about it, but I cannot see how you could be scum right now.

I can believe that you would throw a fellow scum to the wolves on day two to set up a position as a trusted townie, even in a game with only three scum. I just don't think that Rick would be the one you would choose to do that to.

So in the interests of killing off the scum and winning this, you are the most sensible person to lead the town and I thought we should start a conversation. :sweet:

I've debated whether I would take such a risk if I was scum, and I'm not sure I would have risked losing an ally in a game this small. I'm glad that isn't something I had to deal with, I much prefer being with the town in this one, I think we have a decent chance if we avoid being infiltrated/manipulated.

Sadly, there isn't much I can say right now that will be helpful. I've been contacted by half the group. If I knew that there wasn't a scum in there, we could be done quickly, but I'm absolutely certain that there is at least one. I might even know which one, and if we do end up going for a 'random' vote today, I have a pretty good idea who I'll be recommending, especially if certain info they've given doesn't check out.

That's about all I can say for now. Do you have anything that you would feel safe in telling me?

I read the developments in the day thread with curiosity. MetroiD PMed me yesterday and said he thought that the protector was in direct contact with you. He implied the protector was no longer talking to him and he felt "all out on his own again". I find it hard to believe a protector would contact anyone day 2, and even harder to believe that anyone would trust such a claim.

I'm left wondering why MetroiD brought up the protector in the day thread at all, and he's been oddly aggressive in PM when I was reticent about "putting our heads together".

It's funny, 2 minutes before your initial contact with me, he wrote to say that you had told him that you were in contact with me. :laugh:

As for the 'protector', when Ruben suggested trying to find them, I was sincere about doing so. They never wrote. The person who did write claiming to be the protector said that they had never spoken to Meahan. I find that believable.

The whole thing was an attempt to validate Ruben's attempts to sidetrack us. It wasn't particularly effective, and it will ultimately bring down another assassin, whether it's Meahan or not, so I'm glad they tried something so sloppy.

I find that very odd. I didn't tell him I had PMed you until an hour or two after I actually had.

The message I woke up to from him this morning said that whatever I'd said to you about him had "worked" - again odd. I'm finding MetroiD's behaviour more and more confusing.

It gets weirder. He says he told you that he was 100% sure I was town, yet he's been so ridiculous about the supposed protector. He tells me he doesn't trust you, then he tells me you're acting weird, then he says he's still in contact because you're an ally.

His opening line to me was that he didn't still trust you and thought we were all being duped by you, I replied and said I'd been thinking about it, but your investigation result held weight. As the conversation wore on, he indicated he trusted you, but later said there wasn't anything he was 100% about. Trusting anyone 100% would be foolish, though.

The last PM I had from him was the one I'd already mentioned (him saying that whatever I'd said to you had "worked").

Makes sense. I didn't understand his 100% thing and wanted to clarify. It makes it seem like privately he's feeding me a line to try to save his neck, but I haven't looked at the day topic in it's entirety, so I'll have to see how things have gone since this morning.

You can see that I didn't claim protector and that Shanalon knew that whoever that was, it wasn't me. Meahon thought I was 'acting weird' simply because I refused to blindly trust him.

You are attempting to lynch a Royalist over nothing, and putting us all in danger.

I'm sorry Polly, some of this just doesn't ring true. Not the conversation, I believe you had that, but there remains some confusion... This part in particular rings strange:

"It's funny, 2 minutes before your initial contact with me, he wrote to say that you had told him that you were in contact with me." -Shanalon

"I find that very odd. I didn't tell him I had PMed you until an hour or two after I actually had." - Polly

We know that Meahon was town, and so we should assume that he wouldn't lie randomly. We know that Shanalon was town, and so wouldn't lie randomly to make you suspect Meahon more... so, we're left with you as a liar to make Meahon look even more out of touch with things. And, neatly, we can't ask either of them about it, because both of them are dead, so lying to turn them against each other would have been low risk for you.

The alternative was that Meahon was just some random lying townie... which has also been proven relatively true... I just don't see anyone better to lynch today. The best defense is a good offense. Please give me someone else to lynch, with ANY evidence, and I'll consider changing my vote. The case against you is so shaky, and I recognize that. So try to help me out.

We do need a lynch today, but I'm not convinced yet on Polly. I still feel a tad washy on the whole affair...

The alternative was that Meahon was just some random lying townie... which has also been proven relatively true...

It's been proven true. I had difficulty understanding Meahon's actions while he was alive, and I understand them even less now I know him to be town.

Here's the PM where I tell Meahon I've contacted Shanalon:

I got burned big time in Bloodbrick 2. I really thought he was town, and it ended really badly and that colours my judgement of him a lot. I know it's metagamey, but I can't help it. I cannot see how he can't be town, I really can't, but I made sure to spend a good time thinking about it in case there was anyway I could be wrong. It would be frankly embarrassing to be fooled by him twice. :blush: And in Hinck's games, who knows what twisted mechanisms are at play? :laugh:

I said I was still very wary of him, and I am, but he's the best we have for town leader. I've PMed Shadows and said pretty much the same as I've said to you (not the bit about Bloodbrick 2, though) and I'm still waiting to hear back, but he's not been online.

And here's the first message I actually sent to Shanalon:

I've really thought about it, but I cannot see how you could be scum right now.

I can believe that you would throw a fellow scum to the wolves on day two to set up a position as a trusted townie, even in a game with only three scum. I just don't think that Rick would be the one you would choose to do that to.

So in the interests of killing off the scum and winning this, you are the most sensible person to lead the town and I thought we should start a conversation. :sweet:

Please note the time differences that prove that I am telling the truth and that Meahon was lying.

Mod note: Day Four will end 24 hours from now to compensate for the downtime of the EB server.

Unless something else shows up then it appears Polly will be lynched by popular vote, but I don't know...

Without my vote, a sufficient total has been reached, so I suppose that I don't have to vote.

But Jane there's still nothing in what you've reported that actually makes any kind of case against me. The fact that Meahon and I were suspicious of each other is no secret; he became suspicious of me when I pointed out that I had no reason to trust him.

I've presented everything I know. Whether or not that makes a "case" is insignificant at this point. I am suspicious of you because of your actions, and both Shanalon and Meahon were, too. I never claimed to have any solid evidence on you. There was no investigation on you, unless Shanalon did before she was killed last night. We do not have the luxury of having everything be so easy like it was on Day 2. Nothing is cut and dry in this game... of life and I would expect you to realize that.

No, there is no "case" against you. For the last time, these are suspicions, based on the behaviors and conversations of yourself and others. I refuse to reiterate this point again. Everyone, it is your decision to take action. I am just trying to do something that could be productive, rather than do nothing. And if you choose to do nothing, than it is your fault if the Assassins overcome us.

You said you were also suspicious of him, but did you tell him in private you trusted him?

When did I say that I was in contact with Meahon privately? I received all of this information from Shanalon and her interactions with you and him, as well as actions in public.

And your quote from Shanalon only actually says that she thinks I'm scum without giving any reason at all why.

And what would you like to prove your guilt, an investigation result? Oh wait, Shanalon was killed before she could give that result.

I am answering your points, but you are still intent on lynching me, and none of you are considering the predicament we are in and the risk you are taking.

I am quite aware of the risk I am taking, thank you. I've already mentioned our options, and I am taking the better of the two. Might I add that you have not suggested an alternative that would benefit us more than lynching you would. Not lynching you, of course, but that doesn't really tell us anything, does it?

I am a Royalist, you are wrong and making a huge mistake.

We will see, then.

We do need a lynch today, but I'm not convinced yet on Polly. I still feel a tad washy on the whole affair...

Oh, well thank you for the contribution. I applaud you for your hard work for the Royal Court. :hmpf: I am not going to try to convince you further, the information is out for you to see. You can vote and at least try to do some good or you can sit there and do nothing. It's up to you, but I don't want to hear it when it's not your (and anyone else's) fault when they didn't take action.

Without my vote, a sufficient total has been reached, so I suppose that I don't have to vote.

There are three votes currently, and eight people. That is not a majority.

There are three votes currently, and eight people. That is not a majority.

If you read the rules, it says the person with the most votes will be lynched. However, I suppose that I too will

Vote: Polly Altamont (Pandora)

I've told you again and again that you're making a mistake and I've replied openly to all of your questions.

You are lynching me on very vague suspicion and hearsay without any evidence whatsoever.

I've tried to explain my role in private, but that has only garnered silence, so I feel I have to present this information here.

I am the Royalist blocker, which is a three shot action.

Night one I blocked Jane; I didn't have great reasons, it was night one, but she'd referenced me in the thread, which sounded like a prelude to something, and she'd made the mix-up with the unvoting that nearly caused a lynch until it was pointed out.

Day 2, Shanalon had an investigation result on Ruben that clearly needed testing, as I said in the thread. I kept at the back of my mind that there was no kill night one and that I'd successfully blocked Jane, but Meahon then started saying that Ruben had been protected night one too. Night 2 I decided to keep my action and stay home. Day three and Shanalon starts going after Meahon, and it's now clear that Ruben being protected wasn't what prevented the kill on night one as Ruben was scum. By this point I'm getting super paranoid and the only person (except Meahon) that I'm talking to is Shanalon of all people. I decided to block Jane again last night to see if the kill is prevented again, however I was returned the result 'unsuccessful' but the one person I wanted to discuss all this with is killed by the scum overnight.

So today I have lost my only contact and suddenly the person I'd been most suspicious of is coming at me to lynch me at all costs.

The evidence I have against Jane is tied into my role and my night action. Bringing forward my suspicions runs the risk of giving the scum too much information, perhaps more than they would learn from my death alone, however as I've stated before, every townie counts here. I have answered every single one of your queries openly and in full, and I'll say it again - you are making a mistake in lynching me and there is no reason to.

I Vote: Jane Phoebe Barnell (JimButcher)

Atta girl. Finally something to grab onto.

Unvote: Polly (Pandora)

And, just to even things out.

Vote: Jane Phoebe Barnell (JimButcher)

I really think that's too much to make up. Even if you are voted off today, or killed during the night, you have given the loyal members of this barge lots to discuss on a day where we had nothing to go on. Thank you.

It's still just cirumstantial evidence, but at least this one involves some night action facts. If this is true, I can understand your reluctance to just jump right back at Jane with it when she accused you, as it would have just looked scummy... I think the information we will get from testing this case is better than from Jane's case as well, so for now I will:

I'll try to check in later to see if any new information comes up that changes the situation.

vote tally

Polly Altamont (Pandora): 3 votes (CallMePieOrDie, JimButcher, Bob)

Jane Phoebe Barnell (JimButcher): 3 votes (Pandora, Zepher, Cecilie)

Well, this is more evidence than anything Jane's said, and that's what counts in a lynch...Unvote: Polly Altamont (Pandora) and Vote: Jane Phoebe Barnell (JimButcher). Clemence just about summed up the circumstances. Tomorrow, there'll be a lot more to talk about, whether she turns up town or scum.

Unvote: Polly Altamont (Pandora)

A logical deduction and finally something to go on.

Polly's claim does not match everything Shalonda told me, because someone else apparently aldso claimed blocker to her. However, I feel that Polly's claim is much more believable.

Vote : Jane Phoebe Barnell (JimButcher)

Polly's claim does not match everything Shalonda told me, because someone else apparently aldso claimed blocker to her. However, I feel that Polly's claim is much more believable.

Hmm. Well this does seem to be based on actual results. I feel a little more comfortable voting based on this than "Shanana said so". Maybe if Jane could have provided Shanana's reasons, it would have made things much clearer.

I'm sorry for the incorrect vote format.

vote tally

Polly Altamont (Pandora): 1 vote (JimButcher)

Jane Phoebe Barnell (JimButcher): 7 votes (Pandora, Zepher, Cecilie, CallMePieOrDie, Bob, CorneliusMurdock, Fugazi)

With 7 votes, Jane Phoebe Barnell (JimButcher) will be lynched. Day Four is now over. A day conclusion will be posted in about 12 hours. Please get your Night Actions in as soon as you can. However, due to travel, the game will take a brief intermission, with Day Five being posted on Tuesday.

018.jpg

It has been a somewhat tedious day and the passengers of the HMS Brutal haven't had much to work with.

"Meh" Jane Phoebe Barnell says, "Should we lynch Polly? She's creepy when she stares. I think Shanalon said she was Scum."

"Oh did he?" Charles Pleasance asks, "I guess that sounds good. I mean, it's something."

"I'll lynch her, sure." Zerard Wolfe adds, "I agree it's something."

Cuthber Neal Memlow ponders the day as he walks around in his breezy skirt and knee boots. He's pretty sure they belong to him, anyway...

019.jpg

"So, I guess we'll kill Polly," Jane yawns as she stretches, "I need a nap. Wake me up if anything comes up."

020.jpg

The day is nearly over and Charles Pleasance wakes Jane Phoebe Barnell up from her nap because something has come up.

"Hey, wake up, we're going to lynch you instead," he tells her.

021.jpg

"What? Why?" A bewildered Jane asks as she is thrust forward by her accusers.

"Oh, we had a thorough discussion," someone tells her, "It makes perfect sense, trust us."

022.jpg

And as the sun sets, it's Jane Phoebe Barnell (JimButcher) who stands on the silver plank.

Day Four is officially over. The game will take a brief intermission this weekend due to half of the players having travel plans, some unexpected. Please have your Night Actions in by Monday night and Day Five will be posted as soon as possible (most likely late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning.)