Sign in to follow this  
Christoph

[Moc] Quest for the blue flower

I am looking for the blue flower

I am looking and never find it

Me dreaming that in the flower

My good luck is blossoming*

So you want to know how I found the blue crystal? It is a story that you may not believe, but then, how many crystals have you found in your life yet?

The knowledge about where the water crystal might be hidden was not very difficult to obtain. I simply read it in a book by Novalis,** okay, it was not clearly written... but I suspected. The difficult part was to get there...

First, I took my camel and a bellows (an apparatus with which you can deliver pressurized air). And then I put both in a non-parking zone in the midst of Petrea on a busy workday. And waited... and waited... until finally the police showed up.

blueflower1.jpg

Then it only took a little effort to argue and some heating up so the situation could escalate. In the end I managed to spend the night in the prison of Petrea.

blueflower2.jpg

I knew that being bound in jail was a prerequisite for finding the crystal. This is because you acknowledge freedom much more if you are in danger of loosing it. I rejoyced but did not show it on the outside. I was looking forward to the night.

blueflower3.jpg

In the night I dreamt of the blue flower. You should know that one cannot dream of the blue flower being complacent after a delicious dinner, sleeping in a warm and cosy bed. No, you have to feel a little uneasy, a bit like a teenager.

blueflower4.jpg

I am a good dreamer. It didn't take me long and me, the camel, and the bellows arrived altogether at the blue flower.

blueflower5.jpg

So you ask why did I need a bellows? Well, the water crystal was hidden in the flower, the flower protected the crystal. Now it was time to use the bellows.

blueflower6.jpg

So I blew wind on the wind detector. When it turns, the blue flower slowly opens up.*** It showed me its secret... and there it was: the water crystal!

blueflower7.jpg

I easily picked it up and felt like the champion of Kaliphlin!

blueflower8.jpg

Wait, you ask, what use is a dream and a crystal found only in a dream. Well, I am a good dreamer and the blue flower is very powerful. The next morning, when I woke up in the prison, guess what I was holding in my hand!

blueflower9.jpg

Unlike on my way in, the guards didn't check my pockets on my way out.

Cheers,

Abū Alī

*Ich suche die blaue Blume,

Ich suche und finde sie nie,

Mir träumt, dass in der Blume

Mein gutes Glück mir blüh.

Joseph von Eichendorff

**The youth was restless on his bed and thought of the stranger and his stories. "Not the treasures are the ones who have awakened such an unspeakable longing in me," he said to himself, "far from me is all covetousness: but I long to see the blue flower." [...]

But what attracted his notice most, was a tall, light blue flower that grew beside the spring and touched him with its broad, glossy leaves.

(Der Jüngling lag unruhig auf seinem Lager und gedachte des Fremden und seiner Erzählungen. »Nicht die Schätze sind es, die ein so unaussprechliches Verlangen in mir geweckt haben«, sagte er zu sich selbst; »fern ab liegt mir alle Habsucht: aber die blaue Blume sehn' ich mich zu erblicken." [...]

Was ihn aber mit voller Macht anzog, war eine hohe lichtblaue Blume, die zunächst an der Quelle stand und ihn mit ihren breiten, glänzenden Blättern berührte.)

Novalis: Heinrich von Ofterdingen

***some underlying technic

Very interesting and different. It looks like when you turn the wind detector, it actually does open the flower. Very nice!

This is great! Very original design, and rather humorous story :laugh: The mosaic in the first scene is stunning, and the flower itself is spectacular, the round base adds the perfect touch :thumbup:

Very well done! So many great things to point out: the no-parking mosaic, the great flower petals and leaves, the rock and waterfall landscaping, the round base... I'm a big fan of that technique you used for the leaves and petals; I think it looks really nice. There are some elements in my challenge entry using a similar technique...

If you win, you're going to make us all look like total fools for the long quests we've been on all over Historica, while you just settle down for a nice nap in downtown Petraea!

Love your story and the twist to it! The cheese slope sign is just great and not to mention the flower! Well done on this on!

I think this is my favorite so far! Great detail in the story and even more in the variaty of the technics used in the mocs! En I love that round base you've made :sweet:

Very creative story and MOC! I like it! I wish I could be inspired to make a simple MOC as inspiring as this but alas my mind can usually only dream up these gigantic scenes. (I'm not sure if simple is the word I should use as this is a very eye appealing MOC and one that I wouldn't mind saving as wallpaper on my comp but can't think of a better at the moment.)

Lovely! Great story, so unique. Great photography, the flower is great! And these techniques..!

(For the record: Are you german? Or german speaking?)

Best regards!

Edited by Rolli

very cool, great story too.

loving the mosaic in the first pic. :laugh:

=Legonardo=

LOL, those no parking zones can be a real pain when parking your camels. One of the only downsides to living in Petrea :laugh:

I absolutely love the round base on the crystal room. The flower guardian is great as well, I would have never thought to have put it together that way, really nice.

LOL, those no parking zones can be a real pain when parking your camels. One of the only downsides to living in Petrea :laugh:

Yeah, and the Petraea PD is such a pain. Just the slightest little infraction, and they throw you in the slammer for a night. Unless of course you can grease the right palms, and I don't mean the trees lining Boulevard of Temples!

BTW, Christoph, what's the underlying technique for the round base? Is it something like this or this?

Thank you for the comments, I really appreciate it. I am glad you like the story. The mechanism for the opening of the flower and the round base were the main challenge for me. Somehow for this build it was difficult to take a picture that shows an overview. (I am not really satisfied with the one I showed.)

BTW, Christoph, what's the underlying technique for the round base? Is it something like this or this?

The round base is made with the technique by John Boozer (your first link), which works very well. (But not all diameters are possible.) The flower technique I saw first in a moc by Siercon and Coral, who credit eilonwy77 on their flickr page.

(For the record: Are you german? Or german speaking?)

both, how'd you know? :tongue:

Very cool build! I really like the flow of the story...feels like the Disney version of Aladdin. I could almost hear Robin Williams voice narrating it!

Great work Christoph. First of all, the concept is incredible! My mind has truly been blown there.

Some of your special effects (e.g. the fish-eye) are very cool.

The flower is lovely too, as it the round base.

Good luck in the contest, I am glad you are in my guild!

A truly unique and poetic take on the quest theme Christoph, lovely work! The technic you incorporated into the flower really stands out to me - i wish i had those kind of skills. :thumbup: The cheese mosaic "no parking" sign is very cool as well. Best of luck in the voting! :classic:

I LOVE your story! It is so original and unique - it's brilliant to quest in a dream. Great concept! You've also done a great job with the flowers and the dreamscape.

Well done!

This is one of my favourite entries Christoph. I initially wanted to go for some internal scene too, as I thought the best guardian would be oneself, and so the best place for the quest would be in one's head - but I just couldn't come up with how to stage it. Congratulations that you managed to display it so well. The techniques on the base, the flower and the working parts are all brilliant. Fantastic entry.

:classic:

Very original idea! I like the scenes you have built and the flower with the round base is so very well done! Unique, enjoyable and well presented. Great entry :thumbup: