Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

Steampunk Mafia: Day Two

Beneath that otherwise normal looking exteriour, Ruben Castleton is a slimy green-skinned scum sucking Kensmy Assassin.

I am privileged to be in indirect but irrefutable contact with the head of security for the Royal Family. He is privately working to uncover the assassins amongst us. I kick a pigeon or toss a potato towards the heavens and in the morning it is returned with the results of my request. Those results identify the alignment of the person investigated. This morning, I received the aforementioned results that I bring you now.

This is valuable information, and I am glad that it has been brought forward. Though I am a bit confused by the delivery... Basically you're saying that there's an investigator among us, and are privy to his or her results? Do you choose the investigation target, or they do? Is the investigator also aware of the result of their investigation?

I can confirm everything that Shanalon has said. It would explain why Ruben was so interested in a random quick lynch yesterday. Perhaps that does mean that they can only kill when we lynch.

Could be. But how can you confirm Shanalon's story? Are you also in contact with this investigator?

Missing a word right there: "and you are privy to his or her results"

This is valuable information, and I am glad that it has been brought forward. Though I am a bit confused by the delivery... Basically you're saying that there's an investigator among us, and are privy to his or her results? Do you choose the investigation target, or they do? Is the investigator also aware of the result of their investigation?

The delivery is certainly the most off-putting part. I pray/pigeon/potato my requested target and I get the results back the same way, but not from the investigator. That's why I have no doubt of it's accuracy, and no idea who the investigator is. If I understand this type of situation correctly, they don't get the result, they simply act as the physical body that collects it. As such, they could probably be blocked since they do the action, and I would get no result. It seems to add a level of protection to their role, since it can be reported without them being exposed.

Could be. But how can you confirm Shanalon's story? Are you also in contact with this investigator?

Missing a word right there: "and you are privy to his or her results"

Even I'm a little confused there. I think she's confirming that I have privately explained the situation to her, but as far as I know, no one is in direct contact with the investigator and I'm the only one who is capable of contacting them right now (with that changing if I die).

The delivery is certainly the most off-putting part. I pray/pigeon/potato my requested target and I get the results back the same way, but not from the investigator. That's why I have no doubt of it's accuracy, and no idea who the investigator is. If I understand this type of situation correctly, they don't get the result, they simply act as the physical body that collects it. As such, they could probably be blocked since they do the action, and I would get no result. It seems to add a level of protection to their role, since it can be reported without them being exposed.

I see. It's a twisted mechanism, and I suppose that if you wanted to mislead us you would have come up with something simpler -- I think? You have little to gain from making us lynch the wrong person, unless you happen to know that Ruben is actually from the Royal Family. It's likely that the scum have a way to investigate alignments. But even then, unless the scum were sure to nail the other two Royals quickly, I don't think you would sacrifice yourself this way. Or could lynching be the only way for scum to achieve their objective? I guess it's too early to tell.

Wow, this sounds complicated :wacko:, but I think I get it, sort of... Interesting way of shielding the investigator. If you're trying to mislead us, you sure have come up with an elaborate story (not that I don't think you're capable of that :tongue:).

Beneath that otherwise normal looking exteriour, Ruben Castleton is a slimy green-skinned scum sucking Kensmy Assassin.

Well, I'm not (not that you wouldn't expect me to say this if I truly were a Kensmy Assassin). Now you could either be an Assassin yourself and you're setting me up or there is some way the result you got back got mixed up. I don't see how you could pull this off if you're an Assassin, so for now I'm inclined to believe you're not scum (but let's not rule out third-parties here...).

I am privileged to be in indirect but irrefutable contact with the head of security for the Royal Family. He is privately working to uncover the assassins amongst us. I kick a pigeon or toss a potato towards the heavens and in the morning it is returned with the results of my request. Those results identify the alignment of the person investigated. This morning, I received the aforementioned results that I bring you now.

If I should die, contact will transfer to another trusted member of the Royal party. If the investigator should die, however, we would lose a valuable weapon. I do not know his alternate identity, which is the major reason I am against random lynchings, we could do even more harm to ourselves than I had previously indicated. The longer we can place absolute votes, like today, the less chance of his loss.

If this is indeed how your investigation works then that's an awfully powerful weapon we have and it means that we can always credibly and safely communicate investigation results. It almost seems too powerful to not have any downsides. And the downside seems to be that the investigation you got on me is somehow incorrect. I have no concrete idea how it might have happened. I may have been metagamed some more framed last night. But given the Assassins are trying to find the Royal Family and we all have an alter ego to protect the Royal Family, I also wouldn't be surprised if 'the heavens' allow for some sort of identity-switching at night. I think it's likely that we have actions that switch identities or redirect actions somehow.

It would explain why Ruben was so interested in a random quick lynch yesterday. Perhaps that does mean that they can only kill when we lynch.

If you look back at yesterday, you'll see I wasn't interested in a quick lynch at all. I was interested in learning something from yesterday's events and lynching is the way we normally try to get ahead of the scum. If Shanalon is telling the truth about the way investigations are conducted, I understand her caution about lynching yesterday a whole lot better.

Likely because there wasn't a night time kill and we know that the scum have the ability to kill.

It's possible that one of us drops dead in a matter of hours. But I still think it's more likely that either the killer was blocked or their target was somehow protected.

That's why I have no doubt of it's accuracy, and no idea who the investigator is.

I agree, 'the heavens' wouldn't be so cruel to make the investigator an Assassin who can lie to you, but that doesn't mean the information you get is accurate.

I see. It's a twisted mechanism, and I suppose that if you wanted to mislead us you would have come up with something simpler -- I think? You have little to gain from making us lynch the wrong person, unless you happen to know that Ruben is actually from the Royal Family. It's likely that the scum have a way to investigate alignments. But even then, unless the scum were sure to nail the other two Royals quickly, I don't think you would sacrifice yourself this way. Or could lynching be the only way for scum to achieve their objective? I guess it's too early to tell.

Twisted like the mind of god. The assassins must be able to investigate and kill, so if I was simply trying to get him killed for that reason, it wouldn't be done like this.

Wow, this sounds complicated :wacko:, but I think I get it, sort of... Interesting way of shielding the investigator. If you're trying to mislead us, you sure have come up with an elaborate story (not that I don't think you're capable of that :tongue:).

Capable, maybe, but it's pointless, if it's wrong I'm dead and that won't reveal any of the Royal Family, so as scum, it would be an idiotic move with no gain.

Well, I'm not (not that you wouldn't expect me to say this if I truly were a Kensmy Assassin). Now you could either be an Assassin yourself and you're setting me up or there is some way the result you got back got mixed up. I don't see how you could pull this off if you're an Assassin, so for now I'm inclined to believe you're not scum (but let's not rule out third-parties here...).

Yeah, if I was an assassin, I wouldn't have gotten stuck in the middle of something this complicated, I'd just keep looking for the family and kill them, but thanks for being inclined to believe that I'm not scum. :laugh:

If this is indeed how your investigation works then that's an awfully powerful weapon we have and it means that we can always credibly and safely communicate investigation results. It almost seems too powerful to not have any downsides. And the downside seems to be that the investigation you got on me is somehow incorrect.

The downside would be the investigator being killed, while at the same time a member of the party is put at risk daily to reveal his results AND having to keep dealing with the credibility issue while trying to explain a system that is complicated, thus hard to make people believe.

If you look back at yesterday, you'll see I wasn't interested in a quick lynch at all. I was interested in learning something from yesterday's events and lynching is the way we normally try to get ahead of the scum. If Shanalon is telling the truth about the way investigations are conducted, I understand her caution about lynching yesterday a whole lot better.

You know how day 1 lynchings work as well as anyone, they usually kill a member of the town and everyone says "oh darn" and nothing is learned. You wanted one anyway, you can admit that, even some loyal members of the Royal party did, you just had a different reason for wanting it.

It's possible that one of us drops dead in a matter of hours. But I still think it's more likely that either the killer was blocked or their target was somehow protected.

It's entirely possible that nothing happens, I just wasn't going to take the risk of the first results dying with me. To be honest, I think you're planning to find all of the Royal Family and strike in the same night, to reduce your odds of exposure along the way. Would you like to confess your true plans, so we can stop guessing, or shall we just take you down, one by one? We know the answer to that. :laugh:

I agree, 'the heavens' wouldn't be so cruel to make the investigator an Assassin who can lie to you, but that doesn't mean the information you get is accurate.

We've already covered that the investigator can't choose to lie to me because they aren't the one kicking the pigeon.

It is accurate. You know it, too. :laugh:

So here's where this ends. I am not going to spend hour after hour debating points that don't change the results, Ruben is scum. I will be voting the next chance I get after voting opens. I hope you all will. I also hope I survive the day/night to continue to try to serve the Royal Family. If not, someone will step up.

I may be old, but as long as Shananana isn't an assassin willing to sacrifice herself to get you, Reuben, it seems more likely to be true than not. And that wouldn't seem like a fair exchange for an assassin.

This is an interesting turn of events, and it seems we have gotten some serious evidence today. I think it's worth the risk to confirm this investigator. Most solid thing we have to go off of, by far. I only fear that Shanalon is going to use the excuse 'I'm just the carrier' to avoid a lynch tomorrow, and this might be a one-time scum strategy to get someone lynched, but I still think it's a pretty unlikely thing. I know where my vote's going today. Sorry Ruben, but we do need to check the credibility of these results. Of course, if you're a dirty green assassin, then, well, don't let the propeller hit you on the way down. :sweet:

This is an interesting turn of events, and it seems we have gotten some serious evidence today. I think it's worth the risk to confirm this investigator. Most solid thing we have to go off of, by far. I only fear that Shanalon is going to use the excuse 'I'm just the carrier' to avoid a lynch tomorrow, and this might be a one-time scum strategy to get someone lynched, but I still think it's a pretty unlikely thing. I know where my vote's going today. Sorry Ruben, but we do need to check the credibility of these results. Of course, if you're a dirty green assassin, then, well, don't let the propeller hit you on the way down. :sweet:

If it is wrong, I will make no excuses and I will commit some kind of violation to gain a penalty to insure I can't survive. Fair enough?

If it is wrong, I will make no excuses and I will commit some kind of violation to gain a penalty to insure I can't survive. Fair enough?

Yeah, that's fair.

I have been privately asked to seek out the blocker (if there is one) and listen to their story to try to determine what happened last night in regards to the scum not killing anyone. By extension, that would also require hearing from any form of protector (again, if there is one). Honestly, I'm not convinced that I can expect that kind of trust until after the results of this investigation are shown to be correct, but I'm putting the offer out. If you wish to contact me, you may share as much or as little as you wish, and anything you want kept private will be.

If you have even the slightest doubt, don't contact me.

That said, I don't trust this idea very much and will be wary of anything I'm told.

I'm also not convinced that even if someone was blocked or protected, that it was the right person. What are the odds, really? It would be hilarious if one blocked and/or protected the other. :laugh:

Yeah, if I was an assassin, I wouldn't have gotten stuck in the middle of something this complicated, I'd just keep looking for the family and kill them, but thanks for being inclined to believe that I'm not scum. :laugh:

Bravo if you are, but indeed, I don't think you're an Assassin.

The downside would be the investigator being killed, while at the same time a member of the party is put at risk daily to reveal his results AND having to keep dealing with the credibility issue while trying to explain a system that is complicated, thus hard to make people believe.

It just seems like too small price to pay to have such a powerful role on our side.

We've already covered that the investigator can't choose to lie to me because they aren't the one kicking the pigeon.

And I acknowledged that...

It is accurate.

.. but it doesn't mean it's accurate. I have become the victim of some action that has clearly twisted your investigation result. I don't know whether that's one of our actions designed to protect the Royal Family (like some sort of redirection or character switching) or a framing action by the Assassins. I just know your result is incorrect and you'll be losing a member of the Royal Court, just as you'll likely be losing a member of the Royal Court tonight or maybe even, as you seem to think might happen, at noon already.

you'll be losing a member of the Royal Court, just as you'll likely be losing a member of the Royal Court tonight or maybe even, as you seem to think might happen, at noon already.

Actually, we'll be losing one assassin (you), and if there is a blocker, I'd like to ask them to do what they did last night. If the reason for no scum kill is, as some want to believe, due to this blocker (who we don't even know exists), then we should be safe again. I'm not sold on this theory, but it would be lovely if it was true.

As for noon, I really hope not, but this particular god has employed this method before and when dealing with assassins, I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if it was possible.

Like I said, I'm not going to continue to argue this with you. You approached me privately, we discussed it, I even went so far as to attempt to contact a blocker who may not exist. I can't be more fair, and saying that I haven't considered all options is just a flat out lie. I've considered a lot of options and presented them along the way. I fully admit that this is an unusual game of life, but that doesn't change the fact that unless we have the cruelest god known to man, you are an assassin and won't survive the day.

Well, I said I'll be standing in the sidelines combing my eyebrows and that's pretty much what I've been doing for most of the day now. However, there have been some developments I believe you all should be aware of, especially considering Shanalon's plea from earlier today.

I have been able to confirm that there has been a protector involved last night. Of course, I use the term "confirm" only in so far as such a thing is possible this early in our voyage... More interestingly though, said protector claims to have targeted Ruben last night. I prefer to put this out in the open, even though that might mean I could lose the protector's trust, despite the fact I have tried to persuade them that this is the best course of action. I do hope the protector will understand that under these circumstances, all of us do collectively need to have as much information available as possible in order to reach the right decision. As has been suggested yesterday, I'm basing my actions on my "hunch"; this time though I have to admit this is entirely the case - I have had no opportunity to confirm the claimed protector's true allegiance or role.

Before anyone asks - I was contacted by the protector earlier today, before Shanalon had the opportunity to make her revelations. Which does not automatically make any claim true, and does not mean they couldn't actually both be Assassins who've drawn up an elaborate plan to try and frame Ruben today... I know that this information may not be the best of leads, but it can still help us, especially after allegiances have been revealed tonight.

So what if the protector targeted Ruben? I don't see how that would change Shanana's result. They had no more information to go on than the rest of us yesterday as to whom to protect.

What it does mean is that, if true, the scum's target may not have been protected last night. So if none of us drop over dead before the end of the day, the blocker's information may be important.

But that's only if we can trust what Meahan says. Why would this protector contact him? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I could understand him wanting to tell someone after hearing Shanana's information but not before. Especially to someone they wouldn't know they could trust. :sceptic:

So what if the protector targeted Ruben? I don't see how that would change Shanana's result.

True, I was just supplying more information, as requested. I also don't believe that these two should be connected. As to whether you trust me or not - fair point, but unfortunately at this point in time I have nothing to help you with that. I do believe I saw a spare pair of pants somewhere on the deck though, so that might help with the draft? :sweet:

The way I see things, the earlier we have the above information, the more we can make of it tomorrow. As to tonight's lynch - Ruben is basing his defence on the premise of heavens having mixed up information sources / alter egos, which I'm not really inclined to believe for the time being. In any case, I hope we'll learn more before the end of the day.

More interestingly though, said protector claims to have targeted Ruben last night.

I can't say I'm surprised. I seem to be a night action magnet. But as indicated earlier, a protected target is a potential explanation for the lack of a kill last night. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if I also was the Assassins' target for a kill last night. So, whoever protected me last night, I thank you for protecting me, but it appears I'm still going to get lynched today over an incorrect investigation result.

So what if the protector targeted Ruben? I don't see how that would change Shanana's result.

You're right, it doesn't, but I've given plenty of reasons why that result shouldn't necessarily be trusted.

What it does mean is that, if true, the scum's target may not have been protected last night. So if none of us drop over dead before the end of the day, the blocker's information may be important.

... or I was the Assassins' target last night, but their kill failed because I was protected.

But that's only if we can trust what Meahan says. Why would this protector contact him? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I could understand him wanting to tell someone after hearing Shanana's information but not before. Especially to someone they wouldn't know they could trust. :sceptic:

That's a good point, there really wasn't/isn't a good reason to trust Meahan with information like that.

A hell of a lot seems to have been happening around here. :wacko:

I wouldn't actually be that surprised if Shanalon had some sort of ridiculously convoluted relationship with the investigator, and if true then it does add a good layer of protection for them. It's such a bold claim, and I just can't see much benefit for the assassins if Shanalon is lying. I cannot reconcile the idea that the assassins would make a false claim so early, not without a huge potential gain somewhere, and I can't see where that gain would be so early in this ordeal.

Right now, the only logical thing to do is to test the claim by lynching Ruben. There is always a risk that we might get it wrong, but Shanalon seems to readily accept her fate should that turn out to be the case.

In any case, I hope we'll learn more before the end of the day.

Just as an update, to this point no one has contacted me claiming to be either blocker or protector.

Given the risk I've taken, I'm inclined to believe that the person who contacted you may have been attempting some form of trickery. Why would they choose to contact you prior to any results being presented, yet not contact me when I clearly have nothing to gain by lying?

Of course, they could be otherwise occupied, so I will reserve judgment and hope to hear from them.

I wouldn't actually be that surprised if Shanalon had some sort of ridiculously convoluted relationship with the investigator, and if true then it does add a good layer of protection for them. It's such a bold claim, and I just can't see much benefit for the assassins if Shanalon is lying. I cannot reconcile the idea that the assassins would make a false claim so early, not without a huge potential gain somewhere, and I can't see where that gain would be so early in this ordeal.

I honestly think this is the major drawback to this situation. On the one hand, it's a little more secure for the investigator, but on the other it's complicated to explain. Obviously, the investigator could be killed at any time and I'm sure they could be blocked if targeted randomly (or found through some kind of scum investigation), so it has many of the same risks as a normal investigation, it's just a little easier to report results. And even that comes at the risk of my life, so all of the nonsense about it being overpowered is just that, nonsense.

Right now, the only logical thing to do is to test the claim by lynching Ruben. There is always a risk that we might get it wrong, but Shanalon seems to readily accept her fate should that turn out to be the case.

Agreed. :thumbup:

Once again, I'll repeat what I said yesterday - Bess did on a number of occasions defend herself by claiming that she was not a member of the Royal Family. Which is why I thought our chances with that vote were pretty good. I'd rather just sit here and work on my eyebrows today though and see if other people can lead us to more info regarding a conviction, seeing as my attempts yesterday were futile anyway.

Now for a bit of a reminder. We are here to save our Royal Family, not ourselves. I know that revealing this information paints a target on me, but I am doing my duty and my survival isn't the most important issue. I only ask that each of you do the same. Don't make claims about being or not being part of the Royal Family. You'll notice that I haven't. Doing so only helps the assassins find their targets more quickly. Right now, they will scratch their heads wondering whether or not to kill me (assuming they haven't already). That's exactly what each of us needs to do.

I agree with Shanalon. A member of the Royal Court but not of the Royal Family or Assassins is a convenient claim for anyone, and if Bess really was a Royal Court member then she wouldn't have told anyone this... though I'm willing to let that go for now and focus on more important matters.

Oh no! Not the cap'n! But he made such sweet love to my goggles... Ah, well, I suppose there is only one way to test this claim. As others have said there really isn't any obvious way this claim would benefit an Assassin, so the best course of action is to, of course, vote.

021.jpg

"This spell is pretty neat," Fairon Garzi says, "Lady Eleanor Quin Fry though of every little detail! I even have memories! I used to rob trains and give the spoils to the poor and less fortunate."

"Like Robin Hood?" Darberis Gibbon asks.

"No," Fairon Garzi says, "Like robbin' trains. What do you remember?"

"I remember giving birth to a turtle." Darberis admits.

022.jpg

The conversation is interrupted by a flash of red hair and a startling "Whump!"

023.jpg

"What was that?" Fairon gasps.

"It's Shanalon Dairne!" Darberis Gibbon screams, "She's dead!"

You may now vote. The player with the most votes will be lynched.

024.jpg

"I'm not dead!" Shanalon says, "I'm just a bit clumsy. I fell off the railing. Don't you take a pulse before you scream, 'She's dead!' you twat?"

"Tee hee!" Darberis laughs, "You mispronounced 'twit'!"

I'll start us off then, if you're all following what I'm saying. :wink:

Vote: Ruben Castleton (Rick)

He has put up a good defense, but there isn't a case against anyone else and not voting again isn't a option in my mind. If he isn't an assassin, then tomorrow we go after Shanalon, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Whoah, you gave me quite a scare there Shanalon!

Anyway, I see no other course of action for today than to test Shanalon's investigation result. So I will

I agree. I doubt there will be many better leads throughout this ordeal. We have no choice but to test it out.

Everything has been said. Oh, and no word from any supposed blocker, so add that to Ruben's list of pointless distractions. :hmpf:

"I remember giving birth to a turtle." Darberis admits.

Twit. :laugh: