Ricecracker

Modular Madness

Then I expect you two to submit spectacular Classic Modular entries. :devil:

Ehm, yeah, if you read my entire post, you'll se that I'm loving the long deadline because I'm unable to build for the entire month of May, and possibly longer as I need to get set up at my new place as well :wink:. I may have to stick to category 1 and 2 :cry_sad:

This contest sounds great, count me in! I've always been planning on building my own modular building but I never have gotten around to it :dumb:

Ahhh nice, would be looking forward to whatever people come up with :classic:

Even with the long deadline I probably won't make it---I'm focusing on the last details of my MOCs for Brickworld, and even without that in the way, I just work too slow! :tongue:

*raises hand*

Have I then understood it correctly, that using a 48x48 baseplate, for instance, does not result in automatic disqualification?

The building should be built on a 32x32 baseplate in line with the rest of the Modular Buildings line and you have to include a 'standard' sidewalk. If your question is if you can use a 48x48 baseplate and use the remaining space for something else, then the answer is 'no'.

Isn't the Market street a modular building too?

Yes... and no... but let's not have that discussion here. :wink:

In the Collectible Minifigure contests, there's always a rule that the actual figure cannot be used so as not to give an unfair advantage to those who can more easily obtain them. Will there be a similar rule for this, i.e., photographs cannot feature the existing official sets?

Your pictures should only include your entry.

Remember that, for categories 1 and 3, the aim is to build something in the spirit of the Mini Modulars and the buildings from the Modular Buildings range, i.e. it should be similar in terms of dimension, piece count, etc.

Wow! 3 months to get something made, at first I thought thats a bit long!

I used all my good ideas up just recently on modular MOCs. Hopefully 3 months is enough time to think of something new for the contest! :laugh:

The building should be built on a 32x32 baseplate in line with the rest of the Modular Buildings line and you have to include a 'standard' sidewalk. If your question is if you can use a 48x48 baseplate and use the remaining space for something else, then the answer is 'no'.

Thank you for the clarification. I understood the use of the word "should" as "prefered to be", instead of "have to be". The comparison with the Pet Shop (which is 2x 16x32-based buildings) implied to me that the category was open, as long as it was compatible, i.e. a 24x32-based building (which I am currently building, independent from the competition), or a massive 48x48 based one. Jamie Berard's Town Hall (and others' recreations of it), is a good example of a 48x48-based building, that in my eyes is still in line with the rest - connectors, sidewalk and such are built in such a way that it can easily be connected to the existing buildings.

The reason for me asking, is because I just recently started on a 48x48-based building (the XXXL-size aside, fully in-line with the existing buildings), and was kinda hoping it would be elligible for the competition!:blush:

Darn! I posted my optometrist too early! Oh well, the parks and rec and mini modular categories seem like good fits, but there's NO way I have enough parts for another modular right now! :cry_sad:

Time to start brainstorming! :laugh:

Oops! Seems like I may be able to get a building ready, seeing as I have a big breakdown-and-sort planned ofr the beginning of summer, so I may be able to get a modular planned and built! :devil:

Edited by Dakar A

I'll definitely enter this contest, as it will be my first one on Eurobricks.

I can't wait to see all the entries and finished products. :classic:

Ooh, that's an interesting contest – not just for myself but also because of all the nice buildings we'll likely see. It's good that the deadline is far away... but I should aim for June since my long-awaited move into my new apartment with the big Lego room will be in July. Guess I'll postpone the completion of my current double house project (police/butcher) that won't qualify due to its size (48x64 in total) until after my contest entry.

Hmm... if category 3 is supposed to be similar to the official Modulars, I better not build as high as recently and maybe do without fully tiled floors, too...

Right it will push me to finish my design on LDD and get it built before the deadline. Will be my first contest I've entered :thumbup:

I have a question; is there a hight limit? For example the town hall is the tallest official modular so can my entry be taller than the town hall or do I have to make it the same/shorter hight as the TH?

Ooh, that's an interesting contest – not just for myself but also because of all the nice buildings we'll likely see. It's good that the deadline is far away... but I should aim for June since my long-awaited move into my new apartment with the big Lego room will be in July. Guess I'll postpone the completion of my current double house project (police/butcher) that won't qualify due to its size (48x64 in total) until after my contest entry.

Hmm... if category 3 is supposed to be similar to the official Modulars, I better not build as high as recently and maybe do without fully tiled floors, too...

Yeah. Not only will it be great inspiration, it will also be great blog fodder. :wink::laugh: I seriously can't wait to see all the entries! :blush:

Looks interesting, I might post something in category 1. At first I figured it would uust be minifig scale, glad there is an option for minimodulars scale since I don't have many available parts right now).

Looks like I might FINALLY get around to creating my first modular! We'll see how my parts collection holds up, though.

Is there a limit on how tall/short the modular has to be?

To clarify, are we allowed to use official Lego stickers/decals also or only decals made by us?

I am excited to build something. I think I will come up with something for all three categories. That gives me a month per category...or so it seems. I created a Mini Modular for the toysnbricks contest so I will have to create something else. As for a park and rec idea, I have a decent one. And a full scale Modular, I've been meaning to build one anyway, so this is a good excuse.

Can't wait to see what the prizes will be.

Thanks for putting on this contest! Any excuse to play with, er, I mean build with is a good idea to me.

To clarify, are we allowed to use official Lego stickers/decals also or only decals made by us?

Official stickers count as official LEGO parts, so yes, those are allowed. That rule is in reference to custom parts.

Great contest. I'm really looking forward to seeing the entries roll in.

Category 2: Parks and Rec

For this category, build something compatible with the other modular buildings that is not a building. Ideas include a park, garden, or public property. Entries should be 16x32 or 32x32, and should include a sidewalk in accordance with the modular buildings, where applicable.

Can entries in this category contain small buildings/structures within the area. For example, a park might contain a kiosk or a picnic shelter, a garden could have a shed or a gazebo.

:classic: :classic:

Can entries in this category contain small buildings/structures within the area. For example, a park might contain a kiosk or a picnic shelter, a garden could have a shed or a gazebo.

Definitely! :sweet:

Cool.

Thanks Rick.

Sorry, another question.....

> and should include a sidewalk in accordance with the modular buildings, where applicable.

Does this mean that you could, for example, create a back garden compatible with the modulars and hence a matching sidewalk would not be applicable/required?

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Can the building be a copy of a real building, kinda like the architecture series but in modular or minimodular form?

> and should include a sidewalk in accordance with the modular buildings, where applicable.

Does this mean that you could, for example, create a back garden compatible with the modulars and hence a matching sidewalk would not be applicable/required?

The idea is that it would sit alongside the buildings, thus requiring a sidewalk to complete the street.

Can the building be a copy of a real building, kinda like the architecture series but in modular or minimodular form?

Yes, to a point. It should still compliment the current range of modulars. Take the Town Hall, for instance. It was inspired by and based off of real town halls the designer saw. She then took the key elements from it and made her own building.

cool man heres my entry

Check the rules again on how to enter. :classic:

Well, it looks like I need to end my little vacation from building early. Never entered a Lego contest before, but this is too tempting to pass up. Now, if only I actually had an idea for a new modular...

I've not entered a Eurobricks contest before, looking forward to participating, I already have an idea. I assume corner buildings are OK?