Dakar A

MOC: Terraced Street Corner+ Optometrist

indexed.gif B-OM-20E

This is the new Brick Glasses vision superstore!

My newest MOC, this time a Modular Glasses Store. This was inspired by two things: A recent trip to a Pearle Vision store, to get a new pair of glasses (It's great to see! :tongue: ), and a recent search for 'townhouses' through Google. I was curious about the inspiration behind the Modular buildings, and hoped to get some of my own! Well, I soon learned that they are often called terraced houses outside of the U.S., so I know know the correct terms! The model is an end terrace. According to Wikipedia, "The first and last of these houses is called an end terrace, and is often larger than the houses in the middle." The Overdale townhouse is imagined as a renovated end terrace, with a new exterior, and modern shaping, but still retaining the original framework, so as to fit int! . This was a lot of fun to build, but required me to demolish a couple of WIPs and my Creator Family House. :cry_sad:

So, without further boring you :tongue: , here's the streetcorner -

7107178593_fcbf5a1834_z.jpg

Terraced Street 2 by Dakar A, on Flickr

The building on the left is the store, while the one on the right is my Overdale Townhouse.

7103981831_6160898967_z.jpg

Terraced Street corner 3 by Dakar A, on Flickr

The rear was a lot of fun to do :sweet: . The dumpster is from Flickr user ShadowViking, and the balcony was something I had wanted to include in one of my buildings for a long time. THe gables were stolen from inspired by Cimdwwic.

6957913294_8672d7a8f6_z.jpg

Brick glasses interior- Floor 1-2 by Dakar A, on Flickr

The first floor is where the store is located, with walls covered in rows and rows of glasses. There's a desk for the clerk, and drawers behind her for keeping patient's waiting glasses organised.

6957915086_f32a73a2df_z.jpg

Brick glasses interior- Floor 2-1 by Dakar A, on Flickr

The second floor has residential areas. There's plenty of space for one person, and two could live here comfortably. There's a kitchenette, a computer and desk, and a futon (One right now, but room for many more... :devil: ). The stairs were fun to design, I tried for a 'modern' feel with them.

7103986001_915bd9c843_z.jpg

Brick glasses interior- Floor 3-2 by Dakar A, on Flickr

The third floor has the bathroom, a small dining table with chair, an IKEA armchair, a 45-inch flatscreen T.V., and the door to the balcony. The bathroom is a bit cramped, but fits a fig better than the one in the Pet Shop.

There are more pictures in the Flickr set, and a blog post at Brick Town Talk!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, and Comments and Criticisms welcome. :classic:

Very nice indeed 'Dakar', wonderful fusion of an early 20th century building next to a real modern one......it works. :sweet:

A red oven is funky, in all clean and tidy interiors. Keep up the great work 'Dakar' and Brick On ! :classic:

Very nice indeed 'Dakar', wonderful fusion of an early 20th century building next to a real modern one......it works. :sweet:

A red oven is funky, in all clean and tidy interiors. Keep up the great work 'Dakar' and Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks, LT! I was as surprised at ti working as you, but I agree, I do like the look. I may have to commit to this format once I get the Town Hall. :wink:

Great modular store,lot's of great detail.:classic:

Thanks Ryan! Coming up with the flooring patterns was the toughest detail to work out, followed closely by the window stonework. :wacko:

While I'm no big fan of your red corner building, I really like the idea of a corner building on a 16x32 baseplate, and next to another, 'regular' 16x32 modular it makes perfect sense. I've seen a couple of others done like that before, and it's an intriguing concept.

As for the new one, I like it a lot. The colours work well together, the front and rear are equally appealing, and the interiors are very, very nice. Keep it up, I say!

While I'm no big fan of your red corner building, I really like the idea of a corner building on a 16x32 baseplate, and next to another, 'regular' 16x32 modular it makes perfect sense. I've seen a couple of others done like that before, and it's an intriguing concept.

As for the new one, I like it a lot. The colours work well together, the front and rear are equally appealing, and the interiors are very, very nice. Keep it up, I say!

Thanks! I learn a little bit (or a lot! :tongue: ) from each modular I build, the official sets being no exception. Seeing as how this one, I took extra time to do an interior, it works alot better to build around chairs and tables, instead of placing them afterward.

Great work Dakar A! They are getting better and better. Much more detail here, I like what you've done with the interiors. The red appliances are very retro-looking. Keep up the fine work default_classic.gif

Great work Dakar A! They are getting better and better. Much more detail here, I like what you've done with the interiors. The red appliances are very retro-looking. Keep up the fine work default_classic.gif

Thanks, Lego Guy Bri! I expect to be able to do more and more in the future, maybe I'll even muster up the courage to go a 32x32 next! :wink:

I expect to be able to do more and more in the future, maybe I'll even muster up the courage to go a 32x32 next! :wink:

When you do (and you will), you'll be surprised to find how much easier it is to fit an interior with 32x32. It's very good practice to start with a smaller footprint, though :)

This is nice in deed. In Boston, there have been a lot of old buildings that have been torn down and replaced with modern ones.

This reminds me of just that. The interior is great too. :thumbup::classic:

When you do (and you will), you'll be surprised to find how much easier it is to fit an interior with 32x32. It's very good practice to start with a smaller footprint, though :)

Yeah, I've got my Green Grocer to experiment with er, I mean practice with! :devil:

This is nice in deed. In Boston, there have been a lot of old buildings that have been torn down and replaced with modern ones.

This reminds me of just that. The interior is great too. :thumbup::classic:

Thanks! That's exactly the feel I was tryiing to get with this!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments! :blush:

Looks good, reminds me of the end of terrace in the center of town where I live. The end house / shop was demolished by a bomb during the war and when it was rebuilt y the design of it was in the early 1960's. Looks st like that as I recall om my youth, but I see that too is now demolished in a redevelopment and something more fitting put there.