I'm an AFOL that hasn't really had a chance to play with Legos since I was a kid. I had been trying to get my oldest to grow up faster so that I could justify a NXT. Sadly, at 7, he likes to build but just doesn't seem to do that well with Lego instructions - more practice will help. I do have hope for the 5 year old. She jumped right in and can build any of 6 or 7 sets we have opened with little help.

Anyway, I picked up a couple of power functions pieces (motor kit, AAA battery box, a couple IR receivers, the remote, and a gear/axle set from Klutz), but am finding I don't have enough parts to do a whole lot. I'm at the point where I'd like to pick up a few sets over the Spring and Summer. Mid term - I'd like to build a basic config that can be used as a simple RC vehicle (forward/reverse/steering) and longer term, NXT is in my future.

So, first set choice - 8110 (Unimog) or 9397 (Logging Truck)? The Unimog seems more likely to disappear in the near term. I looked at the latest supercar (8070), but it didn't get me as excited... Any thoughts one way or the other? Am I missing out on a better option for someone just getting into Technic? Are there any good kits to buy so that I have parts like a differential, bevel gears, the one piece gear box I've seen around, worm drive, etc? I'm close to zero in terms of Technic parts, so buying individual pieces would be pretty time consuming. Ebay bulk Technic lots could be an option.

Thanks,

Mark

@ MarkV: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: You should try buying needed parts from Bricklink.com -- it's "The Unofficial Lego Marketplace" where you can buy from vendors (large and small) worldwide. look at the Help webpage to see how it works.

To learn all about Lego Power Functions, I recommend reviewing the "Frequently Asked Questions" and answers on the official Powerfunctions website.

picEBA1AE824019EBCBB919DE1B9763F2B7.jpg

The 8110 Unimog U400 set should still be available into Summer 2013 (since "flagship" Lego Technic sets like it are available for about 2 years on Shop.Lego.com ). The 9397 Logging Truck should be available until the end of 2013. Buying the NEEDED parts from Bricklink.com may be better than buying $140-$200 sets.

If the choice was between the Unimog or the log truck, my vote goes to the Unimog. It sounds like you prefer to build mocs, so the Unimog comes with a better assortment of parts. The pneumatics are nice, plus you get the larger tires and suspension components. The log truck is nice because you get the linear actuators, but otherwise, there isn't anything the log truck has that the Unimog doesn't.

Imho, if you can find one for a good price, the best set for new Technic builders is the 8258 Crane Truck. It has lots of pieces, a nice assortment of gears, 8 tires, and a couple linear actuators. This was the first Technic set I purchased when I exited my "dark ages", and it's still my favorite set that I have.

Also, like Dluders mentioned, bricklink may be a good place for you to purchase parts you need.

Imho, if you can find one for a good price, the best set for new Technic builders is the 8258 Crane Truck. It has lots of pieces, a nice assortment of gears, 8 tires, and a couple linear actuators. This was the first Technic set I purchased when I exited my "dark ages", and it's still my favorite set that I have.

Also, like Dluders mentioned, bricklink may be a good place for you to purchase parts you need.

Yeah, the Crane Truck looks massive. Have to look hard to get anywhere close to original MSRP tho from the looks of the current pricing...

Of those two the unimog is definatly the one to go with, the pneumatics are great and not seen much anymore and the ball type joints and the entire suspension of the vehicle is highly useful in MOC's. You even get a new axle type hub, and 8 gray studless plates in the bed that are handy to have. Overall it is a great set and if I can find it on sale I will buy a second one.

8070 supercar is really nice too just from a parts selection, so while you may not like it grabbing it on sale to build different stuff out of it wouldn't be a bad idea. it has everything you need to build almost any style of car.

Another option could be the 8043 Excavator, you get 4 motors + IR + 4 LA + tracks + a real great gearbox. But, it is not the most easy set to put together.

Another option could be the 8043 Excavator, you get 4 motors + IR + 4 LA + tracks + a real great gearbox. But, it is not the most easy set to put together.

8043 isn't that complicated to build. It only took me about 6 hours.

8043 isn't that complicated to build. It only took me about 6 hours.

Apart form trying to keep the motor leads tidy/flat/compact. :wink:

how much money you got? if you've got enough, get 8258,8043,8110, and if you can find it,8466, the big off roader. i own all of those sets, and much besides, but they make up the bulk of my collection of parts. also, i really recommend that you purchase rechargeable batteries, as most mocs eat batteries like there's no tomorrow. oh, and if you can find it, pick up at least two 8049 sets. i bought two a while ago, and parted 'em out.

I would say the 8043, most motors and electrics for the price!! 9and its really fun to play with)

tim

if you're getting back into it after a long break, you might as well go with the flagship set. the unimog has a huge parts list, and you'll soon discover that the building techniques required for the new elements have changed substantially in the last decade; the unimog's instruction booklet will prove quite educational in that respect. it ain't your father's technic.

you can always supplement your inventory with other sets, or you can purchase many individual elements directly from lego or from private sellers at bricklink.com. at bricklink, you will find discontinued and hard-to-find elements not available from lego directly.

KEvron

Edited by KEvron

if you're getting back into it after a long break, you might as well go with the flagship set. the unimog has a huge parts list, and you'll soon discover that the building techniques required for the new elements have changed substantially in the last decade. it ain't your father's technic.

KEvron

LOL.. I agree, might as well get it out of the way now... :thumbup:

LOL.. I agree, might as well get it out of the way now...

YOU!!1! you young upstarts and your newfangled elements!

don't get me wrong, the new elements allow for lines which were near impossible with the traditional elements. your own sexy mocs give testament to that. i've gone on ad naseum opining about the design shift; i'd prefer a healthy mix of both old and new, as seen in sets from early last decade. as it is now, the theme has evolved into something of a lego-compatible line, and to lego's own detriment, i believe. the line between technic and system has become so well defined that they risk the loss of cross-over appeal.

KEvron

One thing about me is that when it comes to Lego Designs, Themes or Elements, I don't discriminate... :wink:

Thanks for the help, all. Picked up a unimog as my first. Now just a matter of having some time to build it.

Now just a matter of having some time to build it.

where are your priorities, man?! lego always comes first.

KEvron

Theres no way your married or have a girl friend, LOL. Legos never come first unless your single and live all alone.

Theres no way your married or have a girl friend, LOL. Legos never come first unless your single and live all alone.

i've got news for you; it was my wife, at the time, who got me back into lego.

btw, "your" is a possesive adjective; "you're" is the contraction required for your predicate.

KEvron

Edited by KEvron