Brickthing

ART/MOC: Concept HF Themes

I've had ideas and concepts for Hero Factory themes sitting around on paper and in my head for a long time, but two weeks ago I was able to start making them a little bit more real. As part of the Engineering degree I'm currently working on, I needed to use CAD software to recreate a 6-10 yr child's toy or household tool. I figured this was a rare opportunity to combine my hobby with my studies, so I chose to create a Hero Factory figure, custom of course. :laugh: It was a lot of work to reverse engineer all of the Hero Factory pieces, but I hope to do more in the future, which should go a little faster as I build up my digital piece library.

Hero Factory Outlaws: Figure 1 -

box.jpg

View 1

View 2

New Pieces

Combined with the recoloured parts in this figure, I think there are roughly around the right number of new molds for the set. The hat and gun were designed with the idea of being used in multiple sets, as well as the odd looking connector piece, which attaches the hat to the head and provides connection points for spikes, masks or other details.

Concept Art

7115509371_b09110c805_c.jpg

Breaking the endless and motionless dusk, a bright capsule tears its path across the skies of Planet Torengul. As it arcs down towards the cracked, barren earth, rusted robots stir from their lonely slumber to watch the rare spectacle. For the first time in one thous0and years since the Quaza Rush ended and the miners left with their spoils, something new is about to happen here.

6969428964_4c105f4253_c.jpg

A bounty hunter and an outlaw cross paths while stranded on a remote moon in the Kepler-11 system. While the sun sets on the barren landscape and planets shift to obscure the star filled sky, the two foes reach for their ray-guns. Tensions are high, and only the fastest draw will escape this encounter.

I'll keep this topic updated as an ongoing project, and I'd also love to hear your thoughts, criticisms and suggestions.

Edited by Brickthing

this is really cool. correct me if i'm wrong but is this based off of the star wars the clone wars character Cade Bane?

This is a brilliant concept. I'm not sure if HF would actually do something like this, but I wouldn't be too sad if they did!

This is also a well-refined enough design to work as a Cuusoo proposal. Although it wouldn't be all that impressive as a single set unless it also included, like, a horse or something. I've tried building a Hero Factory horse, and it's surprisingly difficult! Mainly because horses are such bulky animals and so would likely require a custom-built skeleton, which at least on LDD is hard for me to manage. Or perhaps it's just because I'm not a very good MOCist. :tongue:

The colors of this work very well, and that "box art" mock-up is brilliant-looking. Great job!

Agh! I want it as a real set!

Seriously, that's fantastic. Especially loving the hat and the use of 1.0 feet for boots.

I could see this work for a Hero Factory wave.

Kalhiki

The only word to describe this:Epic. Seriously. It is epic. I can imagine it as a real set. I especially like the use of hero factory 1.0 feet as boots and the yellow(Is it?) and red combo on the torso. I also love the background. Nice work!

Now I think he's the best mocist... :look:

My oh my, but isn't that just gorgeous. I most certainly hope to see more, man!

Although, what colors are his bones supposed to be? Doesn't quite match up to any official LEGO colors. Light bley?

correct me if i'm wrong but is this based off of the star wars the clone wars character Cade Bane?

I'm pretty sure it's just a cowboy.

Edited by CabooseBM

Love this!

Playing the PSO2 Beta has gotten me back into a bit of a cowboy themed kick, so I'd totally love to see this happen as a set. His rival villain set could have a cow skull mask / helmet. :D

As SpiderSpaceman said, if you Cuusoo this, I'll gladly give it my support.

Edited by Taaron

I saw this on Brickshelf just a minute ago and started freaking out. Once I read the description, I chilled a little.

But it looks so real in the box art! The glow of the eyes, the slightly gritty look of the textures, those guns, THAT HAT, right down to the ages and part-count. Just superb.

Then there's those new parts. I like that the gun has loadable ammo, or maybe that's the part the bullets go in? The Pin-mount on the gun looks like it gives the ammo a spinny function when put on, and I rather like that, makes the gun feel a little more 'real western', if you get my meaning. The little noisemaker things for the boots are great too(can't for the life of me think of what they're called, Google isn't helping either), though I can't really see them in any of the cowboy-hero's poses. I like that head-connector piece best of all, it's what I wanted with the 2.0 figures- something useful and not so limiting as the headgear then.

AND THAT HAT! :laugh:

One thing about the hat though- the little circle on the front looks like it could be used as a pin-connector, like for the horns on the head and upper-arm cladding. Doing that could also bring the possibility of a Villain-type character wearing it with a skull-decoration or something on it. But other than that, I love that hat.

I could definitely see this as an Official Lego Set. If you do Cuusoo this, you have my full support. :thumbup:

This is amazing. My favorite part is probably the pistols, because they look like a blend of the real deal with retro-futurism. :classic:

If this became a set, here is a possible story/description for it:

"In the outer rim of the galaxy, a lone Hero Factory sheriff works to protect colonists from bandits and other threats."

This is really cool. Correct me if I'm wrong but is this based off of the star wars the clone wars character Cade Bane?

I had a different famous bounty hunter in mind when I created this character, but I realize that there are a lot of similarities. I even chose a blue head for this Hero. :laugh:

This is also a well-refined enough design to work as a Cuusoo proposal. Although it wouldn't be all that impressive as a single set unless it also included, like, a horse or something. I've tried building a Hero Factory horse, and it's surprisingly difficult! Mainly because horses are such bulky animals and so would likely require a custom-built skeleton, which at least on LDD is hard for me to manage. Or perhaps it's just because I'm not a very good MOCist. :tongue:

I'm working on a horse and rider for one of the next characters, and I agree that horses aren't easy! But because this would be a Hero Factory horse, I've decided that my solution won't be entirely horse, just as none of the other Hero Factory animals are entirely one specific creature.

Here I have the advantage of being able to create custom parts, so I may invest in designing a new bone type or two to make the horse more achievable. :sweet:

My oh my, but isn't that just gorgeous. I most certainly hope to see more, man!

Although, what colors are his bones supposed to be? Doesn't quite match up to any official LEGO colors. Light bley?

Most of the bones are dark bley, while the hands and forearms are (meant to be) light bley. I'm fairly sure I had the RGB values right for that colour, so I think I need to tweak some other specular properties of that material to make it look correct in the renders.

Then there's those new parts. I like that the gun has loadable ammo, or maybe that's the part the bullets go in? The Pin-mount on the gun looks like it gives the ammo a spinny function when put on, and I rather like that, makes the gun feel a little more 'real western', if you get my meaning. The little noisemaker things for the boots are great too(can't for the life of me think of what they're called, Google isn't helping either), though I can't really see them in any of the cowboy-hero's poses. I like that head-connector piece best of all, it's what I wanted with the 2.0 figures- something useful and not so limiting as the headgear then.

AND THAT HAT! :laugh:

One thing about the hat though- the little circle on the front looks like it could be used as a pin-connector, like for the horns on the head and upper-arm cladding. Doing that could also bring the possibility of a Villain-type character wearing it with a skull-decoration or something on it. But other than that, I love that hat.

I could definitely see this as an Official Lego Set. If you do Cuusoo this, you have my full support. :thumbup:

The barrel is a 1x1 cylinder brick with added indents, which would make a great architectural brick like the modified 2x2 round bricks used in the Temple of Atlantis. I'd love to see future Hero Factory sets use new System bricks before they appear in System sets.

The boot pieces are spurs, although they aren't in the right position to be functional. I'm stuck on alternate uses for that piece though, with my only idea being decorative belt details. :sceptic:

The hat does indeed have a rod-connection point. :sweet: I included it intending to for it to be used for a Sheriff's star piece or Barraki eye, but a small skull could also fit well!

This is amazing. My favorite part is probably the pistols, because they look like a blend of the real deal with retro-futurism. :classic:

If this became a set, here is a possible story/description for it:

"In the outer rim of the galaxy, a lone Hero Factory sheriff works to protect colonists from bandits and other threats."

The pistols were my favourite part to work on as well, although I think I got carried away with adding connection points - even the trigger could have a clip piece connected to it. :look:

I don't have much of a story worked out, but I do have a logo for the theme!

outlawslogo.png

I was left speechless.

Brickthing, you have outdone yourself with this. It's glorious, wonderful idea.

And that logo. :wub:

My only complain is that the Hero Head with just a cowboy hat, the face looks rather... Odd. Of sorts.

That logo...! And the art too, wow!

Didn't see it when I commented the other time, probably because they weren't up yet. But they do look great.

Cracked earth, red sky.. that bot standing on the cliff looks interesting, don't suppose that will be one of the characters you make? Or perhaps he'll just be something to wonder about in the art. I really like the way the sky looks in the first picture too, especially with those stars, so bright and large on the horizon.

That little mention of the "Quaza Rush" was neat.. like the gold rush but not.

The other piece of concept art is great as well. There's one rock with a curved top that looks odd standing between the two rectangular rocks on the left that is a little distracting to me, but I can get over it. I love the big green planet hanging there in the golden brown/coffee-coloured sky, those two smaller planets(or are they moons?) circling it, and the sun on the horizon. Almost missed that. There's a ripply-effect coming from it, intentional I hope, which I absolutely love too, gives the sky a desert-hot feel to me. I can't tell if the ground, or at least the hills the two figures are standing near are covered in grass or not, the grainy effect on the picture makes it a little difficult to tell, but I like the look of the ground. It brings a little tension too, with the two just standing there.. I wonder who will make the first move.

The concept art and that logo are wonderful, and I do look forward to seeing more from you soon :)

I like that. Your model has definatelly a personality default_classic.gif

Cuusoo it and you'll have my vote!

Edited by Theo

Like others have said, CUUSOO this and I will give you my vote. ALL MY VOTES R BELONG TO U! As they usually say on the internet. :laugh:

this is the part where I draw fanart of fanart

tumblr_m37f84levC1qizlduo1_1280.png

welp

keep the good work brickthing

Another one of your awesome fanart!

This is insane! However LEGO wouldn't make it into a whole new theme/series for HF because the primary color is brown. Lego stopped brown BIONICLES because they didnt sell well. But if they made thes a theme i would buy every set they have it is just awesome.

this is the part where I draw fanart of fanart

welp

keep the good work brickthing

That's fantastic! :wub: I'm honoured to be the recipient of fanart for my fanart.

Although it would need to be scaled down a little bit, I could see that rear wheel being a Thornatus wheel - do you mind if I attempt to turn your vehicle into a set version?

This is insane! However LEGO wouldn't make it into a whole new theme/series for HF because the primary color is brown. Lego stopped brown BIONICLES because they didnt sell well. But if they made thes a theme i would buy every set they have it is just awesome.

I'll be making some more colourful figures as well, to justify the more subdued tones of this one. I figure that this is one of the few possibilities that would allow Brown and Tan shells to be produced, because cowboys would look worse in the normal bright colours of Hero Factory.

That's fantastic! :wub: I'm honoured to be the recipient of fanart for my fanart.

Although it would need to be scaled down a little bit, I could see that rear wheel being a Thornatus wheel - do you mind if I attempt to turn your vehicle into a set version?

I'll be making some more colourful figures as well, to justify the more subdued tones of this one. I figure that this is one of the few possibilities that would allow Brown and Tan shells to be produced, because cowboys would look worse in the normal bright colours of Hero Factory.

Yeah especially if they had mixed unbalanced colors like Breez 4.0 :sick:

I would love to see a character with a Longhorn's skull as a mask. That would be the cherry on top! :tongue: If you CUUSOO this project, you have my support... If I can remember my password, lol.