Daedalus304

MOC: GWR 1400

Hello everyone! It has been a long time since I posted a MOC (Mostly due to not having time to photograph them, I've been going a bit crazy with actually building them!), but hopefully this week I can get all caught up! My engines are a bit dusty, AZ is a dusty place and again, these have been made for a while now.

Today I bring sort of a "sequel" model to my previous GWR 5700, in that they're both built in the same general style and to scale with the drivers. This does mean that they are not perfectly to scale with each other, however it was a scale I felt I could best capture the nuances of their shapes.

One last thing I want to address before I post a picture is the colour: The engine is red. Ideally it would have been green, or black. However green wasn't possible for me due to both costs and part rarity; and I ended up not wanting black due to the fact that, well, you can only have so many black engines before you get colour-bored! :blush: So my "LRTS" 1400 is red. That said, onto the pictures!

img_0670s.png

This engine is basically 90% SNOT above the running board.

img_0671s.png

img_0672s.png

img_0673s.png

img_0674s.png

The most difficult part of the model for me was the integration of the boiler into the water tanks on the sides. I had a lot of very strict rules for myself, proportions had to be as close as I could get, and I did not want any unsightly gaps. Eventually I ended up being able to get these slopes to line up just right, and the fact that I had previously been insistent on a step on the front of the water tank helped hide the gap there.

The original build actually was motorized by a pair of adjacent M-Motors hidden under the boiler and between the water tanks. While the strength of the system worked marvelously, it led to some structural and drive issues thanks to the trailing wheels articulation. The structural issues were overcome, however the center of gravity is between the 2nd and 3rd axle meaning that curves with even slight gradients sent the front wheels off the track. I ran a lot of experimentation with different builds and rubber bands, but it seemed to be an inescapable problem thanks to wheels and body shape. The current version is therefor unpowered, however it does roll very smoothly and a powered coach solves the motorization problem.

I hope you all enjoyed my engine! I should hopefully be posting a few more within the near future!

Edited by Daedalus304

Red on that engine looks great 'Daedalus304', excellent detailing too ! :classic:

Can't wait to see your next piece of steam power ! :grin:

Hey, I love your Red Engine! I didn't really even think about the color much as I was too busy enjoying the nice SNOT-work, until I read your description and you mention the lack of other than red parts to build with :sweet:

I actually like how it goes so well with the red wheels! :thumbup:

Veeery nice! I must agree with LMM, the red wheels / red body combo really works great, and, of course, the engine itself is a beaut!

I'm planning on building a GWR 2884 later on, so I'll definitely be using your GWR MOCs as a great source of inspiration. :sweet:

Thank you all for your kind words! I'm glad to hear that you like the red, I guess I failed to mention that though it's not the "proper" GWR livery I do still quite like it in red.

Veeery nice! I must agree with LMM' date=' the red wheels / red body combo really works great, and, of course, the engine itself is a beaut!

I'm planning on building a GWR 2884 later on, so I'll definitely be using your GWR MOCs as a great source of inspiration. [/quote']

Thank you! I'd love to see your rendition of the 2884 - in fact after a quick google image search I may just give that engine a go myself someday as part of my GWR 'series'. I'm not quite sure which aspects of the MOCs inspired you, but rest assured I feel honored that they did! :sweet:

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the chance to post another engine or two!

Well, whadya know! It's one of Oliver's brothers, Red. :laugh:

She looks very good. You ought to get her a brakevan, too. You know, like Oliver and Toad.

Thank you everyone! :D It makes me happy to see people like my engines.

Well, whadya know! It's one of Oliver's brothers, Red. :laugh:

She looks very good. You ought to get her a brakevan, too. You know, like Oliver and Toad.

A GWR "Toad" brakevan has been in my train-car building que for far too long now! I quite agree, perhaps after my latest engine is completed I'll actually build one. The fact that "Red" :tongue: is the same type of engine as Oliver pretty much seals the deal, though - it simply has to happen!

A really nice little train. I like steam trains but thy are so hard to build. This one is nice and bright as well.

I love this train but have you thought of using big ben medium flanged wheels? instead of the large flanged?

Didn't London Transport have some ex GWR locos that were painted in their red livery?

I really enjoyed seeing your 1400 class as I've got a big soft spot for tank engines.

Thanks! I quite like tank engines myself, and building these two GWR tank engines was quite a lot of fun. I did a quick Google search and you were right - London Transport seems to have had several red GWR locomotives. I have always like my 1400 in red but now knowing that there really were some red ones is kind of nice for an accuracy stickler like myself!