Asper

Proof-of-concept: Automatic Dumper

Some weeks ago there was a discussion on 1000Steine.de how to dump LEGO train cars. One of the posts had a link to a private site showing a solution for H0 trains.

Now I built this in LEGO with focus on simplicity so my kids can handle this on their own:

The stop at te end is strong enough to stop the train if it's not too fast.

More pictures on brickshelf - once it's moderated.

This is not yet finished: It needs some modifications to look more like a real train facility and it's rather annoying to get the technic-pins back into the cars manually. But I did not think about this much and I'm open to suggestions (conveyor, excavator, ...)

Steffen

Edited by Asper

Nice solution which does not require gears!

I remember a solution discussed on here - from the really old ideas books - of using gears to rotate the tipper elements. As the truck ran past a flat gear panel, it caused the rotation of the tipper... where is old google search when you need it...

[edit]

A few pages back - and here it is

4389899534_7f37698123.jpg

From Matt Dawson, February 2010... Old but still remembered.

Edited by roamingstudio

Nice solution which does not require gears!

I remember a solution discussed on here - from the really old ideas books - of using gears to rotate the tipper elements. As the truck ran past a flat gear panel, it caused the rotation of the tipper... where is old google search when you need it...

Oh the memories!

Very clever, I like it :thumbup:

Andy

Old but still remembered.

And very much appreciated. As are all of Matt's great ideas. :wink:

Asper, this is a brilliant simple solution which I must admit I really like. The plainness of it means that train cars wouldn't need to be cluttered with useless mechanisms, thus keeping the design basically unchanged. I definitely think I might implement that once I get around to building a proper train layout with an industrial segment. Great job and thanks for sharing!! :sweet:

I love this!!! I have been working on recreating the 7777 hopper, and I was thinking about improving on the design, but this version has just blown me out of the water!!!

The only thing I can't figure out from the videos is how the buckets get back to their horizontal state on the return journey? Is it just that they are so loose that gravity gets them back to the original state?

Your design has really fired me up to get back into my train MOC. I love EuroBricks for all of this amazing inspiration!!!! And the free-flowing of ideas!!!

Keep up the great work!

PS: I will be using some kind of conveyor belt system running underneath my MOC to transfer 1x1 round plates from the dumper to a loader down the line.

Edited by Younge

very nice concept. This technique is also used in roller coasters and gondola's in ski resorts.

The only thing I can't figure out from the videos is how the buckets get back to their horizontal state on the return journey? Is it just that they are so loose that gravity gets them back to the original state?

Thank you! And yes you are right. It's pure gravity that gets them back.

Asper,

It would be great if you could post some more photos of your creation for us to see - especially some close-ups of the carriages. :classic:

That's a nice solution. Simple and effective.

I see that for now it only works at the end of a line. Do you plan to modify it in some way so the dump location could be placed anywhere on a line?

Thank you.

I see that for now it only works at the end of a line. Do you plan to modify it in some way so the dump location could be placed anywhere on a line?

The guiding forms part of a circle when viewed from the track. So all other cars and engines must be shaped to be inside this circle. Maybe one could make the cars to be dumped a bit higher? So other cars and engines fit beneath it? Or maybe the guiding can be rotate somehow or lifted?

But I must confess I haven't thought about this. I always have seen this at the end of a ramp that is only built for this purpose. Currently the next step for me is filling the cars with some LEGO construction.

Edited by Asper

Very cool!

I didn't know those 3mm rigid hoses came in such great lenght, but checking BL I see you can get them as long as 63L/50,4cm (allthough only 49L/39,2cm if you want it black, item# 75c49)

I'm most definitely gonna use this idea as well :thumbup: Great that you don't to make those cumbersome 7777 wagons (as cool as the concept is, it just doesn't look all that well, imho)

Great work :classic:

Asper,

It would be great if you could post some more photos of your creation for us to see - especially some close-ups of the carriages. :classic:

Younge, Sorry for not replying earlier. I hope you can find the things you wanted to see in these images.

cimg2422.jpg

cimg2423.jpg

cimg2424.jpg

I do not know if the cheese slopes are really necessary.

Younge, Sorry for not replying earlier. I hope you can find the things you wanted to see in these images.

Thanks for these photos, Asper. They are sure to help me out immensely!!!

Man, I love EuroBricks!!! Such a free-flowing stew of ideas!

cimg2422.jpg

cimg2423.jpg

cimg2424.jpg

I do not know if the cheese slopes are really necessary.

Still a bit prototype like but well, it works and that is most important in this case!!