Anio

[MOC] UCS AT-AT

It's just a tiny detail, but can you replace the blue technic pin on the bottom of the legs with a gray one? :wink:

You are right. I did not includ that detail.

But have an overall look at the neck.

Actually, what is an AT-AT neck ?

In the right order, it have to be :

- first a round tube

- then, with grooves outside, on the whole length

- then, eventually, the detail you are talking about.

So yes, I had to do compromise regarding that detail. And I really think that it is the good compromise.

Because, overall, the neck look so much better than a brick built neck.

And I may add that my neck is made out of... 5 parts !

And it is not fragile. ;)

And that's great. In fact I would say that's one of the most concise ways to look at MOCing, and one that would yield good results, and I assume you've followed this model of building for all of your projects along with your other philosophies.

The snag however, is this

- first a round tube

- then, with grooves outside, on the whole length

- then, eventually, the detail you are talking about.

Apparently you didn't get to the last step. And in general... who cares? It still looks like an at-at right? Maybe you'll add it in later, maybe it's still a WIP, maybe you can't figure out how to do it well within your rules and you chose to omit it. All valid points, but whatever the reason someone is going to point it out.

The real problem is the way you limit yourself and end up with a pretty good result, when you could have an amazing result, or even the best result. And then when people point this out to you, you adopt this superior attitude that is extremely obnoxious.

I understand if you don't care enough to make it perfect; hell for me lego is one of my minor hobbies, I bought my first set today in probably 4 months (skiff, amazing figs btw) and if I was in your shoes and had an MOC like this one, I'd have it locked up and never bother with it again. But it seems you updated it recently and that shows to me you do care, and I'd like to see you build something that someone can look to for years as the standard for LEGO AT-AT MOCs or some other such nonsense. You're 90% of the way there.

It's just a tiny detail, but can you replace the blue technic pin on the bottom of the legs with a gray one? :wink:

I guess I could.

But I won't.

2) The grey pins are friction-less, and so, make the thing less stable.

1) I try to respect the official Lego color scheme (blue, in this case).

Apparently you didn't get to the last step.[...]

Apparently you do not understand the concept of "compromise".

Too bad. It is so important when creating a model...

When you feel the model, when you get the overall spirit of it, when you have a good Lego-y understanding of it, you understand what is the concept/idea of compromise.

The only thing you seem to take into account is accuracy.

Sorry, but taking only accuracy into account is IMO an huge mistake.

May I add that taking only accuracy into account make MOCing almost too easy. :/

There are so many other parameters that deserve to be considered.

I guess I could.

But I won't.

2) The grey pins are friction-less, and so, make the thing less stable.

1) I try to respect the official Lego color scheme (blue, in this case).

Apparently you do not understand the concept of "compromise".

Too bad. It is so important when creating a model...

When you feel the model, when you get the overall spirit of it, when you have a good Lego-y understanding of it, you understand what is the concept/idea of compromise.

The only thing you seem to take into account is accuracy.

Sorry, but taking only accuracy into account is IMO an huge mistake.

May I add that taking only accuracy into account make MOCing almost too easy. :/

There are so many other parameters that deserve to be considered.

You're compromising detail for what, exactly? The "feeling" of a model. You're making a caricature. If that's what you enjoy, do so. That doesn't make your building immune to criticisms.

Great answer ! +_+

If you read my other threads, you will probably see that I am among the MOCers who appreciate to give details about the building process, explain the approach, the design choices, etc.

Because presenting a MOC is not only posting 2 photos or a link to a gallery.

I'm always glad to give explanations etc.

However, I'm not here to waste my time with someone who just don't want to understand anything. :/

You're compromising detail for what, exactly? The "feeling" of a model. You're making a caricature. If that's what you enjoy, do so. That doesn't make your building immune to criticisms.

It's Lego, so details have to be compromised, while what you call the overall "feeling" of a model, at least in my opinion, should be given priority.

Anio's AT-AT is not exactly what I'd call "a caricature", it's far from being that...

edit:

Oh yes, and I think there is no rational base for criticism; he can make whatever decisions he wants to. Whether you like it or not, whether you would have made something different or not is a totally different question; but expressing your preferences is something different than criticizing another person for not sharing them. You may argue why you would have built what in a different way, and thus express your preferences. But it's clearly not within your competence to measure Anio's build and building decisions against some kind of "objectively true build of an AT-AT" that you believe to possess.

Edited by Brickadeer

Firstly, Lefty, look at the previous posts of mine (mainly page 4) in this thread, you will then get an idea of what road you are heading down.

@wokajablocka

Your view that for someone to point out inaccuracies only if they have made the exact same model and then changed bits is completely way off the mark, and is rather an arrogant view. I am sure there are many things (not just lego, but maybe films etc) in your lifetime you have critised yet have not made of your own version. I would have a hard time believing if you said otherwise...

Secondly, Anio...

The improvements of the feet (width) are :thumbup:

The improvement of the rear is :thumbup:

That rear improvement of yours, the way the rear detailing slopes in towards the leg motor is something I am struggling to show correctly on mine so good job! I shall get there soon enough...

I understand why you did not do the bit around the neck, as it is very difficult to achieve at any scale without compromising on other things. Omitting it was the best compromise as I do not (personally) feel it is necessarily an important detail to include.

I shall leave it at that.

First off this is a very cool MOC. I'm just getting back into LEGO and I would love to have the skills and creativity to build something like this.

I do, however, want to point out something. I don't think the "knees" ever bent backwards. They only bend like a human "knee" with the upper leg forward and the lower leg back. To me the way your 2 of your legs bend backwards makes them look awkward.

http://deathstarpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/AT-AT-Hoth1.jpg

EDIT: Looking more closely at your pictures I see why you had to bend the knees the way you did; it is so the lower leg connects to the ankle in a straight line.

Edited by Chills

...That doesn't make your building immune to criticisms.

A key statement, lefty.

Anio, gushing praise isn't guaranteed.

After carefully reading this entire topic at least twice, I have to agree with the constructive criticism contained in the above posts. I was honestly expecting a masterpiece when I discovered your post in the forums, but I was underwhelmed after viewing the photos.

I certainly mean no disrespect, but it's okay if some members believe there's a lot of room for improvement of your AT-AT. Just by creating a new thread to showcase your MOC implies that you want members to comment. Your over-sensitivity comes across as very childish, and it's disappointing coming from a builder of your skill.

Anio, gushing praise isn't guaranteed.

With the nitpicking I regularly get about my MOCs, be sure I know that.

After carefully reading this entire topic at least twice, I have to agree with the constructive criticism contained in the above posts. I was honestly expecting a masterpiece when I discovered your post in the forums, but I was underwhelmed after viewing the photos.

Sorry if you are disappointed by the model.

Yes, it is nearly twice smaller than most of the other UCS AT-AT you will see on the Internet.

However, a masterpiece NEVER depend on the size. It is just too easy to make something big and then say "it is a masterpiece because it is big".

You may think it is not a masterpiece, fine. But definitely, it is cleverly built and nicely engineered. Which is so much harder than just making something big.

Example : I made the neck with 5 parts. Just five parts.

All the UCS AT-AT I see on the net use dozens of parts to do the same neck (and often not that well executed, btw)

All I want to say is "dafuq ??"

But most people don't get that aspect. Mainly because, and sorry to say that, they are noob regarding the design process of a model. :/

You also just have to read what some people say regarding the official models to understand they are noob.

Example with Tehcnic, a theme I know very well : "I deeply regret that 8261 has no fake engine and that 9396 has no collective pitch". mister%20mystere.gif

I do not have anything against noobs. You need all kind to make a world. But being taught by them when at the same time they understand less than a fifth of a design process, it is kind of curious.

it's okay if some members believe there's a lot of room for improvement of your AT-AT.

Members may believe what they want. The thing is that there is no room for significant improvements.

First off this is a very cool MOC. I'm just getting back into LEGO and I would love to have the skills and creativity to build something like this.

I do, however, want to point out something. I don't think the "knees" ever bent backwards. They only bend like a human "knee" with the upper leg forward and the lower leg back. To me the way your 2 of your legs bend backwards makes them look awkward.

http://deathstarpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/AT-AT-Hoth1.jpg

As I said, the model is carefully engineered and the legs are fully hinged.

So, no problem.

Voilà :

161455DSCN7459.jpg

Edited by Anio

However, a masterpiece NEVER depend on the size. It is just too easy to make something big and then say "it is a masterpiece because it is big".

I am not at all referring to the size or scale you chose for your AT-AT...some of the most amazing MOCs out there are constructed in a small scale...often a tiny scale.

Members may believe what they want. The thing is that there is no room for significant improvements.

Wow.

Have a nice day, sir!

As I said, the model is carefully engineered and the legs are fully hinged.

So, no problem.

Voilà :

That's very cool.

I have to say it takes a lot to post a MOC in this forum. There are some tough critics out there, probably because we enjoy LEGO and Star Wars so much. I understand both sides; Anio put up his MOC and it is tough to hear criticism, even if it is given with the best intentions. I understand the other posters too, as I feel there are improvements in shape that could be made.

However Anio's MOC is way better than anything I've created. Keep on buildin'!

I feel there are improvements in shape that could be made.

Go ahead, dazzle me.

I redid the sticker, btw :

sticker.jpg

While I agree there are numerous improvements that could be made, Anio is happy with his Moc and his only limiting factor is he himself. If he is happy with how it looks then thats fine by me.

I agree there are numerous improvements that could be made

I'm listening to you, the AFOL who made 5,000 part (!) AT-AT.

I'm listening to you, the AFOL who made 5,000 part (!) AT-AT.

6221 actually.

Ouch. Dats not a strength. :/

Edited by Anio

Depends what you build it for, I built for viewing pleasure with no limit on parts or part types where as you built to other limiting factors. I was thinking of building another twice as big!

Pinky glasses pinky glasses

Depends what you build it for, I built for viewing pleasure with no limit on parts or part types where as you built to other limiting factors. I was thinking of building another twice as big!

on skills.

:tongue:

I'm sorry Anio but in mine and a lot of other peoples opinions it seems your very good at giving criticism but just cannot take it, Unless everybody praises you on every MOC you build you get all on your high horse and strike down anyone who says otherwise.

While your other MOC's are very good especially Sebulba's Pod racer your latest one (being this) is basically crap well ok it is sturdy and is probably something TLG would release as a set but compared to your other MOC's it's well below par in that respect, so I suggest you take peoples comments like a man and admit that it is not perfect by any means despite you selling it as such.

I shall make no further comment on this thread.

I'm sorry Anio but in mine and a lot of other peoples opinions it seems your very good at giving criticism but just cannot take it, Unless everybody praises you on every MOC you build you get all on your high horse and strike down anyone who says otherwise.

While your other MOC's are very good especially Sebulba's Pod racer your latest one (being this) is basically crap well ok it is sturdy and is probably something TLG would release as a set but compared to your other MOC's it's well below par in that respect, so I suggest you take peoples comments like a man and admit that it is not perfect by any means despite you selling it as such.

I shall make no further comment on this thread.

Totally agreed :thumbup:

Dont like criticism? Dont post in a forum that guarantees it of some sort. All you do the moment anyone says anything you dont like no matter how justified and politely put it is, you respond in an elitist disrespectfully arrogant manner. Perhaps stick to flickr where there will be no one to put your efforts down and so you can live in harmony and peace.

That place is where ego stroking belongs, don't bring it here.

To all you 'amg why u so nitpicky?!111' people:

Grow the hell up, and learn about constructive criticism.