Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

Heroica RPG - Quest #31: Lions and Lambs

"I would like to command the horsemen if it's okay. Always loved horsies when I was a kid, not that relevant to topic but I wanted to mention it."

"I would like to command the horsemen if it's okay. Always loved horsies when I was a kid, not that relevant to topic but I wanted to mention it."

"You mean the Knights? That's fine, I'll take the Crossbowmen, then."

Alexandre watches Isabella stab the dagger into the Tehtusal's body. "Good job."

"Skrall, I'd appreciate if I could command the Lion Pikemen, and perform a flanking maneuver."

OoC: Sorry this is going to be a long note. First, just note that a Hunter's Shield roll also does damage against an enemy, as discussed here. I'm not sure if this will matter or not, but it would mean that the battle was done a round earlier and I don't know if that would save us an extra pikemen, though that also means that Luke never got his Vortex shield healing everybody so :look:

Also let me see if I understand how this battle system works. So we each control a unit, but we do not participate in the battle itself. Is attacking done like normal i.e. you roll a dice for each unit or for each individual soldier. Is the rebel scout unit composed of only scouts or are there crossbowman, swordsman, and butchers in their as well and if so are there stats the same as the battle earlier? When you say if one group of rebels reaches the mountains they are gone does that refer to any group of rebels or only the unarmed ones? Do the enemy units get a move/attack phase or are they only dependent upon if we attack them or not?

IC: Skrall surveyed the battle field, "Ms. Toboso, I don't think a horse will bear me so run over there and accompany those knights. Master Arthur, take charge of those crossbowman. Alexandre go ahead and hold down the fort here with the Lion Knight Pikemen while I take the Imperial Forces and try and stop those run aways."

Edited by Waterbrick Down

OoC: Sorry this is going to be a long note. First, just note that a Hunter's Shield roll also does damage against an enemy, as discussed here. I'm not sure if this will matter or not, but it would mean that the battle was done a round earlier and I don't know if that would save us an extra pikemen, though that also means that Luke never got his Vortex shield healing everybody so :look:

Also let me see if I understand how this battle system works. So we each control a unit, but we do not participate in the battle itself. Is attacking done like normal i.e. you roll a dice for each unit or for each individual soldier. Is the rebel scout unit composed of only scouts or are there crossbowman, swordsman, and butchers in their as well and if so are there stats the same as the battle earlier? When you say if one group of rebels reaches the mountains they are gone does that refer to any group of rebels or only the unarmed ones? Do the enemy units get a move/attack phase or are they only dependent upon if we attack them or not?

QM Note:

Luke got a Magical Vortex in both Rounds. I've adjusted the earlier Round. Changes are that Alexandre loses 2 Health from Suppressive Fire, and Isabella Mugs 2 fewer Gold, but you do gain one Pikeman. I'll update the image ASAP.

You do not participate in the battle. One die is rolled for each unit. The scout unit's stats are as listed in the last update; the unit includes crossbowmen and butchers just to show that the four rebels you just defeated were part of the scout unit. If any group reaches the mountains, they have successfully gotten away, not just the unarmed ones. (and you don't fail the quest if they do, it just affects later battles) The enemies' actions are dependent on whether or not you target them. I'm trying to keep this as simple and as similar to the normal battle system as possible.

I realize that I forgot to tell you how to report the movement. Just use basic directions. (i.e., "Imperial Pikemen move one hex to the north-west")

"Defending the fort sir!" Alexandre smiled, just like his last quest, and besides, he was more of a defensive tactition anyways.

Alexadre le Chevalier commands the Lion Pikemen to the half hex in the South East, near the fort.

"Alexandre, we don't need to defend the fort, we need to catch the Rebels. I suggest you attack the brutes. Crossbowmen, move 1 hex north to cut off the fleeing Scouts! Master Skrall, I suggest you do the same with your pikemen. Isabella, your options seem to be to move closer to the Brutes and attack, or to try and get ahead of the Brutes, to cut them off."

"Alexandre, we don't need to defend the fort, we need to catch the Rebels. I suggest you attack the brutes. Crossbowmen, move 1 hex north to cut off the fleeing Scouts! Master Skrall, I suggest you do the same with your pikemen. Isabella, your options seem to be to move closer to the Brutes and attack, or to try and get ahead of the Brutes, to cut them off."

"Aye! Sorry sir. Forward!" Alexandre change his mind and attacks the Pogcanis brutes.

EDIT: Isabella is commanding the cavalry, we should tell her to make a wide arc around the main rebel force to attack in the rear, or chase the unarmed rebels.

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

"Aye! Sorry sir. Forward!" Alexandre change his mind and attacks the Pogcanis brutes.

EDIT: Isabella is commanding the cavalry, we should tell her to make a wide arc around the main rebel force to attack in the rear, or chase the unarmed rebels.

"A sound strategy. Isabella, you should lead your troops around the Brutes, and attempt to pursue the unarmed rebels."

Skrall surveyed the battle field from his place with the Imperial soldiers. He lifted a helm off one of the soldiers and borrowing a spear from another smashed a hole in the peak of the helmet. With his make shift speaking trumpet, Skrall called over to Arthur, "Master Regulus, you're commandin' crossbows not sling shots, pin those unarmed rebels down before they escape with the weapons stash, they should be in range!"

Skrall watched as Isabella and the knights prepared to intercept the escaping rebels from behind. "Good," he thought to himself, "if they get out of range of the crossbows then at least we can catch 'em with the cavelry." Skrall handed the soldier back his helm and spear as he took up his heavy crossbow in his hands. "Alright boys, let's give those Rebel Scouts what fer," and with that Skrall led the Imperial Pikemen against the Rebel Scouts.

Arthur accepts his order unquestioningly. "All right, men, new target: attack the unarmed rebels!"

As the crossbowmen prepare to deliver their volley, Skrall shouts out the rest of the troop movements.

Battle Order:

Imperial Pikemen

Lion Crossbowmen

Lion Pikemen

Lion Knights

OOC: Yeah, that was just what I was thinking about. :)

I am leading my troops around the Brutes to get their behind.

OOC: Yeah, that was just what I was thinking about. :)

I am leading my troops around the Brutes to get their behind.

OOC: So...one hex northwest and one hex north?

"I just realized something! To all troops: We need to leave at least one Rebel alive--disabled and unable to fight or flee, but alive. Feel free to kill the rest, but if you notice there are 4 or fewer Rebels still living across the entire battlefield, be sure to disable rather than kill."

OOC: The crossbowmen will now aim for the knee. :laugh: This should have no gameplay effect other than leaving us a Tethusian prisoner to interrogate. Since we don't have anyone with Animal Talk, I don't know if we can communicate with the Pongcanae, though that would be nice.

: This should have no gameplay effect other than leaving us a Tethusian prisoner to interrogate. Since we don't have anyone with Animal Talk, I don't know if we can communicate with the Pongcanae, though that would be nice.

Well, the enemies are humanoids, not beasts; so I think we don't need animal talk, I could use my diplomacy.

Well, the enemies are humanoids, not beasts; so I think we don't need animal talk, I could use my diplomacy.

"The Pongcanae are both beasts and humanoids. I believe that some use normal speech, but most cannot, as far as I am aware."

QM Note:

Sorry; I was busy all day.

LionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.png

Results of Round One of the Pursuit of the Rebels:

Imperial Pikemen vs. Teuthisal Rebel Scouts - Damage (2-1=1 Damage)

Lion Crossbowmen vs. Unarmed Teuthisal Rebels - Shield (3*2=6 Damage)

Lion Pikemen vs. Pongcanis Brutes - Miss

Lion Knights move one hex north-west and one hex north.

Skrall, you lead the Imperial Pikemen in a charge, but the Teuthisal scouts are ready for you and take out one pikeman before your men pull back. Arthur, you order the crossbowmen to fire on unarmed peasants, and they comply swiftly and efficiently, taking out six rebels. Alexandre, your Lion Pikemen, outnumbered, cautiously approach the brutes and don't get anyone. Isabella, you lead the knights around behind the brutes, attempting to cut off the escape route.

Quest31-Hex1Round1.jpg

ava-LionCommander.png

"I knew those Imperials were weak. Nothing compared to our men. The battle continues..."

Enemies:

ava-UnarmedTeuthisalRebel.png

Unarmed Teuthisal Rebels

Type:
Unarmed

Level:

Health:
4/10

Defense:

Passive Special:
None

Drops: nothing

ava-TeuthisalRebelDoublesword.png

Teuthisal Rebel Scouts

Type:
Scout

Level:

Health:
6/10

Defense:

Passive Special:
Scouts gain +1 Defense when in a forest or on a hill.

Drops: 20 Gold

ava-PongcanisBrute.png

Pongcanis Brutes

Type:
Footsoldier

Level:

Health:
10/10

Defense:

Passive Special:
Footsoldiers gain a +1 Level flanking bonus whenever their target is adjacent to one of their allies.

Drops: nothing

Allies:

ava-LionPikeman.png

Lion Pikemen
, Level 3 Footsoldiers (lead by Capt.JohnPaul)

Power:

Health:
6/10

Defense:

Passive Special:
Footsoldiers gain a +1 Power flanking bonus whenever their target is adjacent to one of their allies.

ava-LionKnight.png

Lion Knights
, Level 4 Mounted (lead by Dharkan)

Power:

Health:
10/10

Defense:

Passive Special:
Mounted units can act twice in a Round. (move two hexes, move one hex and attack, or attack twice)

ava-LionCrossbowman.png

Lion Crossbowmen
, Level 3 Ranged (lead by Flipz)

Power:

Health:
10/10

Defense:

Passive Special:
Ranged units can fire over obstacles or other units to attack enemies up to two hexes away. If their target is two hexes away, they cannot take Damage.

ava-ImperialPikeman.png

Imperial Pikemen
, Level 2 Footsoldiers (lead by Waterbrick Down)

Power:

Health:
9/10

Defense:

Passive Special:
Footsoldiers gain a +1 Power flanking bonus whenever their target is adjacent to one of their allies.

LionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.png

Party Leader, choose the order of actions and which unit each hero will command.

All of you, choose the action your unit will perform.

Any enemy not targeted will get a free action at the end of the Round.

"Again! If we all repeat our actions and Isabella attacks the brutes, we should be in good shape."

OOC: Question for future battles, even though I doubt it will come up (you know, given Arthur's budget :tongue: ): if a Hero in command of a unit has a status effect (i.e. Lucky or Poisoned or Afraid), will it affect the entire unit? Or will the effect just carry over to the next character-scale battle (i.e. taking a Nostrum just before troop combat won't affect troop combat and will carry over to the next character-level battle)? Or ( :cry_sad: ) would the benefeits of that effect just be useless and be lost?

OOC: Question for future battles, even though I doubt it will come up (you know, given Arthur's budget :tongue: ): if a Hero in command of a unit has a status effect (i.e. Lucky or Poisoned or Afraid), will it affect the entire unit? Or will the effect just carry over to the next character-scale battle (i.e. taking a Nostrum just before troop combat won't affect troop combat and will carry over to the next character-level battle)? Or ( :cry_sad: ) would the benefeits of that effect just be useless and be lost?

QM Note:

The effect will carry over to the next character-level battle.

Or you could buy ten Nostrums and make all your crossbowmen Lucky.

"Again! If we all repeat our actions and Isabella attacks the brutes, we should be in good shape."

I take the same action too! Also, don't attack the brutes! We need to chase the unarmed rebels!

I take the same action too! Also, don't attack the brutes! We need to chase the unarmed rebels!

QM Note:

It doesn't matter which one you chase. If any of the rebels reaches the mountains, they get away with the weapons, not just the unarmed rebels.

"Did you hear that, Isabella? My crossbowmen can handle the peasants, concentrate on the Brutes."

OOC: Just making sure she sees it when scanning through the topic. :wink: