Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

Heroica RPG - Quest #31: Lions and Lambs

Alexandre joins the quiet discussion with Arthur and Skrall. "I might join Leofard's side too. He has much experience. And Lyonel is very convincing, perhaps too much. And he is young, he'll have lots of ambitions. And, The Voice in the Sky made Leofard seem like the badguy, but it is really the unsuspecting Lyonel, but I saw through that trap. :devil: The one problem is Leofard's beard. :sceptic: "

ava-sirleonard.png

"I suppose I could do that. It'd diminish the strength of your own force, though."

QM Note:

Leofard is the stern knight with the longsword. Leonard is the leader of the Lions with the dark red cape who was in Bric'Lin in Q4 and in the conclusion of Q17. Lawrence was the commander of Bric'Bay Fort in Q17 and hasn't appeared in this quest.

OOC: Wow, epic fail on my part, I've been calling Leonard "Lawrence" all this time. :facepalm:

Alexandre joins the quiet discussion with Arthur and Skrall. "I might join Leofard's side too. He has much experience. And Lyonel is very convincing, perhaps too much. And he is young, he'll have lots of ambitions. And, The Voice in the Sky made Leofard seem like the badguy, but it is really the unsuspecting Lyonel, but I saw through that trap. :devil: The one problem is Leofard's beard. :sceptic: "

"In truth, I felt the same way, except about the beard. It's a goatee you have to watch out for. It doesn't seem like a goatee...does it?" Arthur examines Leofard's beard to determine if it is just a beard or if it truly is a goatee. He also checks the ceiling for traps and spies.

Turning to Leonard, he adds, "I feel we have almost reached our decision, however, there is one last matter to discuss." He turns back to Skrall. "How do you feel about slightly lessening our own force to put a secret guard on Leofard, Leofwena, and Lyonel? I feel we can handle ourselves in a fight, and that this added protection could prove the difference between a victorious battle yet a failed Quest and a failed battle yet a victorious Quest. I believe we are all in agreement about Leofard being in command, we simply have to decide whether or not to dispatch the snipers to watch them, just in case."

"I think it's a goatee, I'm not sure." :sceptic:

"Another thing to consider is Leofard is angry, and when you are angry, you do unexpected things without thinking. Do we really want that to command our troops?"

Skrall continued the conversation in hushed tones, "He may be of a sour disposition my friend, but I believe when the time comes and action is called for, his lack of refinement will be overshadowed by his calmness in a dire situation. Besides as I have said, I would rather face treachery holding a sword in front of me than risk treachery with a knife behind me. We shall send the archers with them just in case and hope that we are yet able to accomplish our own task, though I fear of spreading ourselves too thin that we are unable to achieve our purpose on any front."

Skrall turned to Sir Leonard, "We are of the opinion that you should send Sir Leofard as the commander and adviser to the emperor, but send along a small detachment of expert crossbowman to deal with any insurgence that may arise while we are away rounding up the rebels."

Edited by Waterbrick Down

Skrall turned to Sir Leonard, "We are of the opinion that you should send Sir Leofard as the commander and adviser to the emperor, but send along a small detachment of expert crossbowman to deal with any insurgence that may arise while we are away rounding up the rebels."

You see Sir Leonard dismiss the two knights, and hear him promise to let them know of your decision later.

ava-sirleonard.png

"Very well. Sir Leofard will command the small force protecting the emperor, while Sir Lyonel will act as a subordinate and advisor to Sir Leofard. I'll reassign a force of crossbowmen from the main force with instructions to kill either knight if it becomes evident that they have betrayed us.

"I don't know if you already figured it out or if someone told you, but I suspect that one of them is a spy. The crossbowmen will at least slightly lessen my worry about that, but I do hope that the reassignment doesn't affect your effectiveness in battle."

You watch Sir Leonard scribble some orders on a piece of parchment and open the door. You see him hand the piece to a pikeman before beckoning to another figure to enter.

Quest31-12.jpg

ava-sirleonard.png

"This is Admiral Mathias Thraune. He was formerly an artist on Uland who supported our settling here. He officially joined our navy nearly a year ago, and has since proven himself a tactical genius. You'll be traveling to Dastan aboard Admiral Thraune's new flagship. The eighteen-gun brig Chimaera is the first of our fleet built from the keel up for use with cannon. The rest of the force will be sailing on our older unarmed carracks and galleys.

"I've been told that we are ready to depart. Are there any further questions? Remember that you will not be able to contact me until you return from Dastan."

ava-sirleonard.png

"I've been told that we are ready to depart. Are there any further questions? Remember that you will not be able to contact me until you return from Dastan."

"Sir, what else can you tel me about the Dastan Empire? What sort of terrain is there? What are the major towns and villages? Are there any significant individuals (besides the Emperors, of course) we should know about? What of the Emperors, what do they look like and what are their names? Do you have any available portraits or sketches of the rebels, so we may be able to recognize them? Oh, and did the Rebels steal anything before they left?"

"Oh, once those questions are answered, I will be ready to go."

Isabella didn't really care about the conversation but still wanted to comment on that;

"Well while I think you are being too much of a conspiracy theorist, if there is a bad guy among them, that would be the beardy guy, what was his name again?" Isabella whispered.

Isabella didn't really care about the conversation but still wanted to comment on that;

"Well while I think you are being too much of a conspiracy theorist, if there is a bad guy among them, that would be the beardy guy, what was his name again?" Isabella whispered.

"Sir Leofard. I agree, but better the evil known than the one unknown. It Lyonel turns out to be the traitor, he could do much greater harm to us than Leofard could. In any event, the die is cast, the decision made."

"What are we to do with the rebels once we have caught up with them, I am sure if they prove difficult we will have no choice end their lives, but are there any of the higher ups you want brought back for some sort of tribunal or another? The question is the same should the spy move against us while we are in Dastan, I assume ya want them brought back for questioning? Furthermore do the rebels know that you will be sending an army after them, or will our presence be unexpected? Finally I'm assuming you've already made contact with the emperor of Dastan concerning our arrival, but is there anything we should know or have in our possession to ensure the validity of our mission to him should it be necessary? I think once we've got some answers to these questions, we should be ready to head out."

Skrall turned to his companions, "Once we get on the boat there are a few manners we need to discuss in private."

"Sir, what else can you tel me about the Dastan Empire? What sort of terrain is there? What are the major towns and villages? Are there any significant individuals (besides the Emperors, of course) we should know about? What of the Emperors, what do they look like and what are their names? Do you have any available portraits or sketches of the rebels, so we may be able to recognize them? Oh, and did the Rebels steal anything before they left?"

ava-sirleonard.png

"I know much of Dastan is reportedly mountainous and arid. I'm really not sure about any of the towns or individuals, as we haven't been in contact with Dastan for centuries. The other two emperors are Emperor Roland Esmeraldo and Emperor Severus Septrine."

"What are we to do with the rebels once we have caught up with them, I am sure if they prove difficult we will have no choice end their lives, but are there any of the higher ups you want brought back for some sort of tribunal or another? The question is the same should the spy move against us while we are in Dastan, I assume ya want them brought back for questioning? Furthermore do the rebels know that you will be sending an army after them, or will our presence be unexpected? Finally I'm assuming you've already made contact with the emperor of Dastan concerning our arrival, but is there anything we should know or have in our possession to ensure the validity of our mission to him should it be necessary? I think once we've got some answers to these questions, we should be ready to head out."

ava-sirleonard.png

"We want the rebels removed from Dastan, dead or alive. If you can capture them, great, but don't fret if you have to kill them. Unless there is a spy who has alerted the rebels, you should have the element of surprise. Emperor Alandri has taken the utmost precaution to keep our plan private, and he does know that you will be coming and will be receiving you at his private docks. I can give you his letter to prove that you are expected, if you would like. I have no need of it, and it does mention your impending arrival and bears the emperor's seal."

"Then lead the way to the Chimaera, Admiral Thrawn Thraune! Perhaps while we sail you can explain to me in detail this new warship's capabilities?"

"Lead the way, sir." To Skrall- "What else do we have to discuss? I guess you'll tell us." :wacko:

Arthur meditates while he waits for the Admiral's response. He decides to take the time to look over his Scrolls, so he is familiar with them if the time came to use them. "I wish there were more of these..." he murmured. He wonders how the other Heroes were doing, and who was finally picked for Quest 29. He hoped it wasn't anyone he'd regret killing later...he couldn't shake the feeling that the many Heroes now headed for Dastan were all fated for combat.

"Admiral, what's the hold-up? We need to wait for the grass wheat to grow?" :grin:

Edited by Flipz

skrall.jpg

Skrall
, Level 15 Hunter (Waterbrick Down) *Party Leader*

Power:
(+4 vs beasts)

Health:
28/28

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Heavy Crossbow: WP 8 (Knockback)
, Hunter's Crossbow: WP 10 (+4 vs beasts), Potion, Tonic, Smoke Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, Emperor Alandri's Letter

ava-arthur.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII
, Level 9 Mage (Flipz) *Party Second-in-Command*

Power:

Health:
13/13

Ether:
13/13

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Arthur's Staff of Elven Necromancy (WP: 5)
Robe of Magi (SP:1)
, Amethyst (Darkness), Opal (Ice), Potion(x2), Bedroll, Telescope, Healing Staff, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep, Shovel, Grand Tonic

Isabella del Toboso
, Level 6 Rogue (Dharkan)

Power:

Health:
12/12

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Fauxthril Dagger (WP:7)
, Golden Dagger (WP:3),
Cloak of the Invisible Elf (SP: 1;
untargetable for first 2 Rounds of every Battle
)
, Venom, Potions (2), Bedroll, Fire Bombs (2)

Alexandre le Chevalier
, Level 9 Knight (Capt.JohnPaul)

Power:

Health:
18/18

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Sword of the Elven Blademaster (WP: 6; ignores SP)
, Cross Heater Shield (SP: 7), Potions (2), Fire Bombs (2), Bedroll

LionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.png

As you make your way back to Eubric to spend one last night in the city, you stop by the docks and behold the pride of the Lion's fleet. You see the Chimaera rocking slowly in the harbor. Making your way down to the vessel, you see that a few sailors are still onboard, loading the last of the cargo. You also see a figure in a dark red cape and a brown hat overseeing the loading of cannon onto the ship, and you see that an elf in a white robe is standing next to him, providing the soft glow of light which emanates from the diamond atop his staff.

Quest31-13.jpg

ava-countlewisknyghton.png

"Heroes! Great to see you again! Master Regulus, Sir Alexandre, Miss Isabella, and I assume the big fella is Skrall."

ava-luke.png

"Good evening."

"Master Regulus, you'll be pleased to note that the Chimaera is fully armed with the latest in gunpowder weaponry. Eighteen brand new cannon, and she can out-maneuver just about any pirate craft on the seven seas. You're in good hands with Admiral Thraune, and lucky, too. The rest of the troops have to make the trip on ten of our older galleys and fifteen of our minimally-armed carracks."

ava-luke.png

"I hear that you're only a party of four, without a Cleric, and that in part that is because there aren't many Clerics in Eubric. I convinced Sir Leonard that you would need one, so he has decided on a compromise: your party would get a healer, but it would have to be a healer already respected by the Lions - myself."

"And, naturally, I decided to tag along."

Luke and Count Lewis have joined the party!

skrall.jpg

Skrall
, Level 15 Hunter (Waterbrick Down) *Party Leader*

Power:
(+4 vs beasts)

Health:
28/28

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Heavy Crossbow: WP 8 (Knockback)
, Hunter's Crossbow: WP 10 (+4 vs beasts), Potion, Tonic, Smoke Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, Emperor Alandri's Letter

ava-arthur.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII
, Level 9 Mage (Flipz) *Party Second-in-Command*

Power:

Health:
13/13

Ether:
13/13

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Arthur's Staff of Elven Necromancy (WP: 5)
Robe of Magi (SP:1)
, Amethyst (Darkness), Opal (Ice), Potion(x2), Bedroll, Telescope, Healing Staff, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep, Shovel, Grand Tonic

Isabella del Toboso
, Level 6 Rogue (Dharkan)

Power:

Health:
12/12

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Fauxthril Dagger (WP:7)
, Golden Dagger (WP:3),
Cloak of the Invisible Elf (SP: 1;
untargetable for first 2 Rounds of every Battle
)
, Venom, Potions (2), Bedroll, Fire Bombs (2)

Alexandre le Chevalier
, Level 9 Knight (Capt.JohnPaul)

Power:

Health:
18/18

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Sword of the Elven Blademaster (WP: 6; ignores SP)
, Cross Heater Shield (SP: 7), Potions (2), Fire Bombs (2), Bedroll

ava-luke.png

Luke
, Level 16 Sage (controlled by Waterbrick Down)
*Pacifist*

Power:

Health:
31/31

Ether:
23/23

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Wooden Staff (WP: 1)
, Diamond (Light)

Count Lewis Knyghton
, Level 11 Engineer (controlled by Flipz)

Power:

Health:
18/18

Defense:

Gold:

Inventory:
Spatha (WP: 3)

QM Note:

The Engineer's Shield, in this quest, is Disable, a normal Hit that is doubly effective against Mechanical enemies. The Engineer's Job Trait is Mechanical Expertise, which allows the Engineer to repair or alter various machinery encountered.

LionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.png

The next morning, you board the Chimaera. After an uneventful trip, you see the coasts of Dastan in the distance. You watch as Admiral Thraune guides the fleet into an opening in the cliffs, which leads to a massive cavern. You can see that the underground harbor is large enough to contain all twenty-six Lion ships with ease, and is so large that you cannot see the walls or ceiling. As you pull alongside the eastern wall, you can see docks jutting out every two hundred feet or so, upon which you spot men rushing to throw ropes to the arriving ships. You see the sailors tie up the sails and catch the ropes, and you see the ships being towed to docks in the windless cavern. You notice the shine of gold on the dock the Chimaera arrives at, which proves to be reflecting off of a crown.

Quest31-14.jpg

You see that Emperor Alandri has dispatched his guards to assist with tying down the ship, and that he is flanked only by a hulking minotaur. You see that the emperor himself is quite young, though he manages to look powerful with his short black cane and in his dark green robes over light armor.

ava-bodyguard.png

"..."

ava-Alandri.png

"Lions and heroes! Welcome to Dastan."

"Hail and well met, lord Emperor! It is an honor to meet you, your majesty. Arthur Justus Regulus, the Seventh, Mage of Heroica." Arthur bows respectfully, and falls uncharacteristically silent, waiting politely for the Emperor's response.

Count Knyghton gives Arthur an odd look, then quickly returns his attention to the Emperor and inclines his head respectfully. "Count Lewis Knyghton, Engineer for tha Lion Knights, your, uh, your majesty." He stumbles over the greeting, shooting Arthur a dirty look for making things so formal. "Ya know I'm not much for tha formal stuff, Arthur!"

Arthur blushes, but remains silent and respectfully attentive to the Emperor.

ava-Alandri.png

"So formal. Let's discuss the quest at hand in my library."

You see Emperor Alandri motion for some guards to show the knights to their quarters, and then you follow him to his library. The floor is covered with stone tiles and furs, but the walls and ceiling look as if they've been carved from sandstone. The library is sparsely furnished, and what few books are present seem more like trophies and display pieces than useful manuscripts.

Quest31-15.jpg

You watch as Emperor Alandri removes his crown and places it on a pedestal in a corner, and then turns to the minotaur.

ava-Alandri.png

"I have business to conduct with the heroes. You can wait outside."

ava-bodyguard.png

"..."

ava-Alandri.png

"Now then, let me repeat your goal: as you know, a former Lion Knight named Sir Loren has returned to Dastan and begun recruiting follows who feel that the Lions can become a major military power on this continent. Your job is simple: put down the rebellion. I do have a few troops to assist yours, and a plain outside the city where you can mass them and train them. Are there any further questions before you meet the men?"

Alexandre kneels, "Hello, My Lord. I am ready to meet these men." Alexandre addresses the next question to everyone. "And these rebels, are they common criminals or thugs, or high ranking nobles?"

Skrall inclined his head to the emperor, "Good evening my liege, we are grateful fer yer assistance in helping to restrain the foolish advances of these idealists. Can ya tell us how long the rebels have had an established presence in the land, do ya know of any of their capabilities, magic users, siege weaponry, beasts whether common or fantastic? Do ya know of their where abouts whether they are in a temporary lodging or have set up fortifications?

"And these rebels, are they common criminals or thugs, or high ranking nobles?"

ava-Alandri.png

"A mix. Naturally, the majority are commoners; the nobles already have power and don't really feel the need to revolt in order to get it."

Skrall inclined his head to the emperor, "Good evening my liege, we are grateful fer yer assistance in helping to restrain the foolish advances of these idealists. Can ya tell us how long the rebels have had an established presence in the land, do ya know of any of their capabilities, magic users, siege weaponry, beasts whether common or fantastic? Do ya know of their where abouts whether they are in a temporary lodging or have set up fortifications?

ava-Alandri.png

"Half a dozen weeks or so, at the most. We know that Sir Loren himself and his four lieutenants are all highly-skilled former Lions who are probably not experienced in magic or siege weaponry, but we don't really know anything about the rest of the rebels. We suspect that they have a temporary base in the mountains far to the north."

"Your Excellency, could you provide us with a map?" Alexandre asks, "We could then track them down right away, or make a plan."

"My liege, what can you tell us of the natural hazards of the area? I have heard rumors that here there be dragons, might we have to contend with any wild ones? Are there any other dangerous creatures that may be in the area? And what do you think the rebels' first target will be? Is there an ideal point of ambush we may use to keep them back?"

"Your Excellency, I'd like ta enquire as ta tha sort o' supplies for siege weaponry we have available. Master Arthur and I are both well-versed in tha assembly and maintenence o' such things, if we have sufficient supplies we might be able ta improve upon some o' tha designs we used in defense o' Bric'bay Fort. Gunpowder, masonry supplies, some minor metalwork if ya could spare a blacksmith or two."

Arthur does an extremely hammy quick double-take, but says nothing. I should ask about that later.