SlyOwl

Nail their gizzards to the yardarm!

Cheers! :drunk: This is fantastic!

It's almost like a painting. The stormy elements in this MOC are great.

The sailor ploughing through the waves is a nice detail as well.

I can see your ships are also inspired by Derfel Cardarn, for example by the checkered pattern on the side.

I also like how you did the waves.

They look great on display. Do you have any tips for how to make the ship fit exactly in the waves?

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp] -> Yes I'm first!

Wow, wow, wow!

SlyOwl, let's just ignore for a moment those two fantastic ships. You built waves out of bricks. That is just awesome, the flow of the water looks very natural and real. Super impressive.

Back to the ships, both look great, I love the rigging work and sails. The brick built flag is a nice touch too.

It's just a beautifully done scene.

This is the best pirate themed moc I've seen for ages! Just love it! The brilliant use of gray for the sea coupled with the excellent waves and debris really make this stand out and look like a painting. Both ships are nicely detailed and full of action, I particularly like the Galleon and it's color scheme and details. A truely great build!

Is this for the JRC? That category did sound cool.

Hopefully you might bring this to STEAM??? We must build a collaborative pirate display sometime!

:pir-oh3::drool::pir-oh:

The word "simply" has no business in that thread - I absolutely adore every single bit of this piece of art - from the water (the best LEGO version of water I've seen so far - great choice of colours) to the two stunning ships (yeah - sure, why build one gorgeous ship MOC when you can build TWO!) to the wonderful MOC dinghy

and did I mention the great photography?

we must build a collaborative pirate display sometime!

please don't! If you two make a pirate display together I'd just have to steal it and whisper "my precious" all the time - that would not be good.

Edited by Horry

Love the level of detail in this scene, especially the water.

How long did it take you to do the water part? I really like it!! Although the use of bley(or gray?) for the ocean wouldn't be my first color choice, it really works well here.

Superb scene! Lots of details. I especially love the little dinghy, Id like to see a closer picture of that. Lots of great building techniques scattered throughout as well. Excellent job and really sneaked this one in under the radar!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Cheers! :drunk: This is fantastic!

It's way better than a painting! It's 3 dimensional! I really love all the details. From the water splashing around, to the checkered pattern around one of the boats, this is perfection! :pir-sweet:

This is fantastic! The ships look amazing, the water scene is spectacular and I too, love the MOC brick built dinghy. :thumbup:

:wub_drool: Wow this is amazing work. There is so much going on here, so much action, so much build skill....so much.

I hope this makes it a show I am attending so that I may see it's details in person. I promise not to drool (much)

Wow! just wow!

I had my mouth open for at least 3 minutes just beholding this amazing MOC, its just, increidible!

There's tons of details, love how the ships arent that big, yet they have perfect proportions and look real, like... haha, I just can't describe such awesomeness! :pir-cry_happy: epic!

this makes my entry for the JRIII look like garbage. literally. i love this! the gray waves is a great idea. the ships are stunning.

:pir-wub: :pir-wub: :pir-wub:

Well done Sly!

You never cease to amaze me with your builds, your use of colour is second to none and the composition itself is stunning!

Truly a MOC expert! :pir-wub:

As already said, one of the best Pirate MOCs in ages! The waves are really outstanding and how the ships fit in is also great. Love a lot of the detail and really like the idea of using the seats for closed gun ports! I only think the fleshies would look a bit better with the realistic color schemes ...

Fantastic work, Barney!

I really love how you not only built a great ship, but two(!), and then placed them in a scene with the amazing sea. It really adds to the experience of the MOC, to see the ships set in their natural environment and with all the action going on captured in a special moment.

Good luck in the contest, I hope and think you will win! :pir-classic:

Thanks guys! :classic:

They look great on display. Do you have any tips for how to make the ship fit exactly in the waves?

The photography was a happy accident - a mix of it raining outside and being lazy and just blurring and smudging the wrinkles in the sheet behind it out - but it turned out quite overcast and stormy.

I made the waves fit the ships :wink: I built the ship hulls first, then roughed out the sea in grey, just roughly building around the outside of the hulls. I then filled in all the gaps with white plates - it doesn't fit exactly, but near enough.

Thanks for the blog!

Is this for the JRC? That category did sound cool.

Hopefully you might bring this to STEAM??? We must build a collaborative pirate display sometime!

It is, thanks! And thanks for all the ship inspiration there. It's coming to STEAM, definitely. Pirates at STEAM 2014?! If you've still got ships built up, we could extend this one for this year.

How long did it take you to do the water part? I really like it!! Although the use of bley(or gray?) for the ocean wouldn't be my first color choice, it really works well here.

Not too long - a few hours (although as it was repetitive I was watching tv). It's a mix of bley and grey.

I hope this makes it a show I am attending so that I may see it's details in person. I promise not to drool (much)

Probably not, I'm afraid! It does look much better in person - it's just very hard to photograph between the sails and masts and stuff! - Maybe when I'm not in a rush I'll add some better pics.

Haven't seen you around for a while sly... you're forgiven so long as you promise to keep bringing back MOCs like this.

Not too long - a few hours (although as it was repetitive I was watching tv). It's a mix of bley and grey.

Wow! That's pretty impressive. I could imagine it taking a whole week for myself. Then again I tend to be a slow builder. :pir-grin:

SlyOwl, you are so damn good it is indescribable. Everytime you present a MOC you've added something that I haven't seen before in any MOC - this time it's the water! It is simply stunning. I love all your building techniques

I love the rich life on both ships' decks - the addition of animals is a great idea.

I read Derfel's comment about a collaboration between the two of you - If that ever happened, I would not know what to do with myself but run around in circles due to overload MOC awesomeness!!!

Edited by Lorentzen

Great to see you again Sly!

This is an outstanding MOC. So full of action; I can almost hear the waves crashing in my head. :pir_laugh2:

That water has great texture. It's hard to accomplish water like that without it looking blocky, but you have made it look very natural. Thank you so much for sharing, and good luck in the contest!

:pir-oh3: From looking at the title I wasn't expecting much, but this literally blew me out of the water. :pir-oh::cannon:

It is one of the best Pirate Mocs I think I've ever seen; and your ocean is a remarkable idea. :pir-wub:

Well done! :pir-sweet:

This is fantastic. I love how you made the sea all rough, and as for the ships themselves, they are so wonderfully detailed! Great MOC!

:jollyroger: