touthomme

MOC: Ball Maze (Labyrinth)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Just recently finished this working LEGO ball maze, also commonly known as a Labyrinth. It features a removable ball storage container, travel lock and interchangeable mazes.

7085101767_e8bd2b8b9b_c.jpg

I built three mazes for it, including a space themed one and medieval themed one.

6939025128_3e76325abc_c.jpg

I also put together a video showing how it works.

And for those into CUUSOO, you can check out the project there.

Enjoy!

J

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

This is fantastic. I really like the mechanism you used, very clever. I feel like the space theme pales in comparison to the castle theme - it doesn't have any of the custom traps and tunnels that the castle theme has. The microscale castle designs are clever and would work great on their own, as well.

This is fantastic. I really like the mechanism you used, very clever. I feel like the space theme pales in comparison to the castle theme - it doesn't have any of the custom traps and tunnels that the castle theme has. The microscale castle designs are clever and would work great on their own, as well.

Thanks! When I built the space one I was still mostly 'building a maze'. When I got around to the medieval one I was definitely giving more focus to the theme.

Wow! Great project!

Just supported it on Cuusoo! :thumbup:

Thanks for the support!

And thank you all for the rest of the comments!

Love it!! In my youth I used to build marble runs on a 48x48 baseplate, it was a lot of fun. I'd love to own this so definitely will support!

Very cool! Pretty ingenious creation there. The ball storage and the holder that keep it still, brilliant! The interchangeability is great too. Supported! I'd totally buy this.

This is a brilliant idea and extremely well executed! You have my support and best of luck in your CUUSOO journey.

This is a brilliant idea and extremely well executed! You have my support and best of luck in your CUUSOO journey.

Thanks Yatkuu! I just read the post about the process you went through on theBrickBlogger.com. Very inspiring!

J

Passing the 2500 supporter mark on CUUSOO gave me a good excuse to build another themed maze for my Labyrinth project. This one is called 'Legends of the Sea' and is set on the ocean floor, featuring a sunken ship, giant pearl, Kraken, thermal vents, ancient ruins, lost treasure and an anchor. Unlike the other mazes, it doesn't have 'holes' for the ball to fall into, although it would be easy to add some to make it challenging. Had a lot of fun building this one!

J

8107108777_0fa0e24106_z.jpg

Great new update! I hope you make it to 10,000, you've had my vote since the first time I saw this :thumbup:

I also hope you make it to 10,000 votes, as this is one set I would love to own. The concept is unique, looks like it would be fun to play, it's modular in the sense that you can change the playing board, the presentation is perfect and it's not so big that it would be too expensive. Well done and good luck.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten any activity in a while, considering how the CUUSOO / Ideas journey for this excellent project turned out. When the forthcoming set is released, I'd like to see it discussed here, with these early posts for historical context.

touthomme, I'm quite looking forward to your set (and congratulations again!).

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten any activity in a while, considering how the CUUSOO / Ideas journey for this excellent project turned out. When the forthcoming set is released, I'd like to see it discussed here, with these early posts for historical context.

touthomme, I'm quite looking forward to your set (and congratulations again!).

Thanks dude! I'm obviously pretty excited about it. I'm planning to do a bunch of stuff around the release, including a review of the set and comparison between the official release and my original submission. I'll also be designing a bunch of custom mazes and putting together instructions for them. Should be fun!

J

Thanks dude! I'm obviously pretty excited about it. I'm planning to do a bunch of stuff around the release, including a review of the set and comparison between the official release and my original submission. I'll also be designing a bunch of custom mazes and putting together instructions for them. Should be fun!

J

Is there any date on a release? Also congrats!