41 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like this set?

• You talking to me? Umm… bleh.
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Choptastic!

approvedgold_v2_62.png

X-Men is probably my favorite comic series. Not that the originals were very good, since they weren't, but where a lot of the characters went later has been quite inventive. Like so many other LEGO things, X-Men was one that I never expected to see happen, but now we're blessed with…

6937939386_76050b3dde_b.jpg

Set Title: Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Set #: 6866

Theme: Superheroes

Subtheme: Marvel

Subsubtheme: X-Men

Parts: 201

Minifigures: 3

Year of Release: 2012

Price at Release: US 20, GBP 20, CAD 25, kr 250, AUD 50, EU varied

Buy it? Inventory? Bricklink LEGO (US Link)

Just browse the pictures? Flickr set

INTRODUCTION

Well, I already gave a little bit of an intro. Anyway, X-Men. Neat stuff. Unlike other Superhero properties, there's no one, main, obvious character for a set. You know, Batman's got Batman, Superman's got Superman, Red Sonja's got Red Sonja… but X-Men is and always has been a whole lot of characters with basically equal levels of prominence. While I personally would have liked to see Northstar vs. Mastermind and Unus, I understand that Wolverine and Magneto make a lot of sense for an introductory X-Men set, so I'm happy. But it's not all about minifigures, you know. If it was, LEGO would just sell blind packs of superheroes and call it a superhero theme. What we need (sometimes) is nice cohesive sets. Let's check out if this one fits the bill…

BOX

The box, to my surprise, is kind of rectangular. I thought that the curvalicious Friends box invasion was supposed to start, but I guess it was averted. The background is nice, though a bit nondescript, and everyone has been ooing and ahing over the dark red Marvel colors. Really I quite liked the dark blue, so I'd just call it a draw. LEGO did a superb triple pun on this box in relation to the set title, which I find hilarious: one chopper is the helicopter, one chopper is the motorcycle, and one chopper is Wolverine, chopping a flick-fire! Brilliant! On the other hand, the box is too cluttered. With all of the regular American-box text, the figure line-up, and the 'comic adventure included,' it's not very pleasing on the eyes. (Sidenote: try as I might, I can't find any other source of that exact X-Men logo. It's reminiscent of some others, but not exactly the same. Strange.)

7084015651_43a73d469e_b.jpg

The back isn't terribly exciting. It has panes from the included comic adventure in the background, which is nice. Apart from that, it shows everything fine, but the front is far more exciting.

6937939062_c20460d87c_b.jpg

I love on the 1:1 minifigure shot how it's Wolverine with another shot faded into the background… of himself. Did someone say boss?

7084015737_24d521b776.jpg

On another side is the same picture of Wolverine from the back of the box. I'm sorry, but I'm so glad LEGO didn't bother to make his mask. Wolverine in that mask looks so idiotic. The X-Men filmmakers were so smart to lose it.

7084015715_9a1accecb7_b.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

The front shows off the nice Canadian backdrop, minus all the annoying text and other pictures. It's pleasant. The instructions booklet is pleasantly thick for a set of this size. The copter itself has 40 steps plus sub-builds, so the build is neither too short nor too tedious.

7084015499_1a822cfd8d_b.jpg

Some of the pages have this nice fade of the minifigures. It's like in the Harry Potter line, except waaaaaaay less creepy.

7084015551_ac0397275f_b.jpg

The Club page features this adorable picture of Wolverine cutting Max's hair into his (now) signature vampire style. I hope we see more customized Club pages in the future (but it mixes fleshies and yellows, ahhh!).

6937938906_c4b557a091_b.jpg

COMIC

I actually took pictures of it this time! Well, just the front and back. Magneto looks creepy as heck on the front. I don't know what is possibly going on with his face. Otherwise the artwork is good.

7084015381_26633b6076_o.jpg

The back features all of the boring minifigs from the Avengers sets, plus the awesome Spider-Man and Iron Fist and the seriously messed up Doc Ock. I like how all of the Avengers look stoically posed and then Wolverine shows up in the front and says 'hey look at me!' *waves claw*

7084015429_ddb4e91372_o.jpg

MINIFIGURES

Noticed the Deadpool in those last couple of pictures, did you? Don't worry, I'm getting there! I already commented on the figure selection in the intro, so I'll dedicate this section to the minifigures and designs themselves. There is plenty to say.

Here we have our figure friends from the front (if that isn't a lot of alliteration, then maybe mister mango mashed melons at Mindy's mellow massage parlor). Overall these figures are wonderful. They get down the looks of the characters perfectly, and the colors all work well. I've been wanting a Magneto helmet for who knows how long, and LEGO delivers. The one thing that's a little strange is the use of black for Wolvs's musculature. They use that lighter color for all of the other figures, so the black is a little strange. But maybe his suit is just THAT TIGHT. (Do note that the colors didn't work out perfectly in this pic, since Wolvs's suit looks almost regular yellow. It's neon-yellow-orangish, like the hazmat guy apparently. BL's bright light orange. Aanchir's something official)

7084013785_c7af7fb2a0_b.jpg

Great backprints all around. Deadpool's got more belt and black patterning. Magneto's got more purple bling bling. Wolvs has his mask hanging down, more belt, more dark blue, and more black muscles. Now about the mask; I was under the impression it wasn't attached, in which case, how could it hang down? Oh well, at least it appeases the 'where's the mask'ers. Also, Wolvs's double head always shows, which is kind of annoying, but I prefer it over a more scrunched-up face print (like Hawkeye).

6937937320_1dedb6bdb3_b.jpg

Here are Wolvs and Mags with their alternate face prints and headgear still on. Magneto's angry face isn't in step with the Magneto of the recent films, but I do recall him getting this angry in the comics, so it's nice to have. What I really like is that LEGO didn't force happy faces onto these guys. They really aren't happy people, ever. Wolverine's hair also is perfect, and I remember thinking of him as soon as I got the Vampire Studios set way back when. I even made a custom figure using the Monsters Doctor's non-glasses face. I guess LEGO thought of Wolverine with this hair too!

6937937360_c1393f8dee_b.jpg

I felt like taking a glory shot of Magneto to show off his helmet/him in general. And now I can say, while he's a great figure, who the heck thought of this design for a bad guy? Red spandex with purple undies, cape, glove, and super big bling bling reminiscent of Pharaohs? Plus a horned helmet? Seriously wacked out, but also awesome. By the way, I think this is the first ever dark purple cape, and certainly the first purple cape of any shade in quite a while (since Dumbledore wore purple). I love capes (despite what Edna Mode has to say about them)!

7084014059_d8e22a26e1_b.jpg

Let's see them sans headgear now. Magneto has some crazy eyebrows, but they fit with a comic style. I can see the Wolverine face having a lot of applications for pissed figures in various settings.

6937937506_5799025235_b.jpg

I think the only difference between the calm and angry Magneto faces are the mouth. It shows, since the mouth looks out of place with the rest of the facial expressions, and it's too symmetrical anyway. It's not the greatest. Wolverine looks much better, since he's really growling and angry. It's quite fierce; I love all the furrows in his face.

6937937422_8e13510c27_b.jpg

ACCESSORIES

Like the Funhouse, this set isn't exactly brimming with accessories, but it certainly has a better amount than that set and it doesn't feel lacking. Wolverine has his two claws (plus another as an extra piece) and Deadpool has two swords, a PoP carrier for them, and an Alien Conquest gun. The gun isn't so accurate I suppose, but it looks nice and modern nonetheless. Like others have said, black would've been better for the holder, but it's alright. Magneto just gets a disc, but that's all he needs. Magneto doesn't use weapons. Besides, he has the power of purple!

6937937180_4d38638707_b.jpg

CHOPPER #1 - Motorcycle

The first Chopper is Wolverine's bike. It's plain, but it does the trick and looks nice. I've found that with one claw out, Wolverine doesn't look too silly. He of all people would be able to ride a bike with one hand.

7084014261_07b6cf85d6_b.jpg

The back has no place a for a red taillight, but that doesn't bother me. It's just the mold, which is the same one that appeared in the Indy Cemetery Battle and a PQ set, though both of those times it had printing. In grey it doesn't need it.

6937937762_b81cfa8849_b.jpg

This side of the bike has an exhaust pipe, a detail missing from the dirt bike but present in the awful big cycle mold. Even with this small mold, the cycle is starting to look large.

7084014329_c5e587184d_b.jpg

This side does not have a pipe. Hooray for non-symmetry!

6937937822_09892357d5_b.jpg

There are plenty of places on the bike to put the claws if you want to keep them nearby but have Wolvs drive with both hands. With this setup, you barely notice that they're there.

6937937870_33e90768c0_b.jpg

But look how huge this bike is. I still love the classic cycle. It felt like the right size. This one rolls well and looks great on it's own, but next to a figure it's a bit too ginormous. Wolvs is grumbly about it too, see?

7084014471_d49734c9e1_b.jpg

CHOPPER #2 - Helicopter

We've now come to the bulk of the set: Deadpool's heli. As far as I can tell from the internet, Deadpool isn't exactly known for having a helicopter, but he's a kick-megablocks merc so it's not unreasonable. The color-scheme is certainly fitting, and I'm glad LEGO went with the purty dark red.

6937937968_2a35341520_b.jpg

The best views of the copter are from above, like this. The chunky-ness just works better from this angle. I've read comments online that this model is too chunky and thus horrible, but I don't get it. People are too obsessed with slim slim slim these days. A little weight looks healthier, says I.

7084014915_e3e696718d_b.jpg

A front angled-down view also looks quite nice. The colors are nicely cohesive, and the cockpit has a nice shape overall thanks to the big dark grey train piece.

7084014727_ab38a5059d_b.jpg

Straight-on from the front looks pretty good too. I love the down-facing red lights; landing lights perhaps? It's nice to see LEGO doesn't only care about the top (like in SW). Basically, the front is great. Really no complaints.

7084014549_8f84ed2a7e_b.jpg

It's around the side that things start to get weird, whether from straight-on or from a bit above. The cockpit is great, but the huge open hole is pretty unsightly. The long tail, too, is fairly basic. It's a shame, since the front is awesome, that the rest is just 'eh.'

7084014565_122e0a9fe3_b.jpg

The back view isn't terrible exactly. The designer didn't completely drop the ball, as some people appear to think about this model.

7084015005_1c790e0440_b.jpg

Well, saying the designer didn't completely drop the ball isn't quite correct. As you can see, there are two tail rotors. I'm no helicopter expert, but I've done a little internet research and I'm fairly certain such a thing does not exist. Correct me if I'm wrong, but two tail rotors would not correct for the torque of the main rotor and effectively do nothing. So, as is, if this copter were real it wouldn't fly. I don't mind the asymmetrical tail fin at all, but the dual rotors are a problem.

6937938042_1c685dcd84_b.jpg

Thanks to those newish big curved pieces, the main rotor is quite large without too many pieces. The model looks great from straight above.

6937939300_764c026fce_b.jpg

The bottom looks fine too. It's got the red lights, and it at least doesn't look unfinished like basically every Star Wars ship nowadays. Nice!

6937939334_4c31ae2cc4_b.jpg

The swords clipping onto the sides of the ship is a little weird, but at least they aren't lightsabers. They sort of look like fins? Eh, I guess not really, but it could be worse (worse=lightsabers).

7084015037_4c4e6b3fc9_b.jpg

PLAY!

Ok it's done, let's play! So much to do, woohoo! Well, not really, but if you've read my reviews before, you'll know I'm crafty when it comes to playing.

First of all, the rotor spins. Since it's so big, it's not the easiest to get spinning fast, but it can be done. One thing to note is that it sometimes hits the back rotors if they're in the wrong position. Seriously, stay far away from this thing if you happen to come across a real-life one. You will crash and burn.

7084014689_b70823c2a0_b.jpg

Play idea numero dos: take Magneto for a ride. He certainly looks excited about it, doesn't he? And this is where that big gap because even dumber. That's no compartment (…it's a space station!). It's just an uncomfortable looking hole, and what passenger (especially a classy passenger like Erik) would want to sit or stand in an open-air compartment?

7084015097_db22a5a00e_b.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that the hole is really there for swooshability. You can quite easily lock your fingers through it and carry the chopper around that way. Observe:

7084015189_ea1d58191a_b.jpg

You've got great minifigures, so do a little bit of roleplaying and sit there bonking those little guys together. Fight fight fight! If you were to do that, you would not end up with a carefully staged photograph like this, but that's an idea! You could photograph the set!

7084015317_8986e3164f_b.jpg

And now, if you hadn't realized, I've been saving the best for last. Everyone's, from little kid to old person, favorite, flick fires! This set packs a great payload of four beautiful, shiny silver tipped missiles! You can rotate the missile silos for maximum accuracy! Here, I line up the shot…

6937938648_e64753aefe_b.jpg

…and miss dismally. I promise, I photographed it as it was. Better luck next time.

7084015269_5bd0d6f9cb_b.jpg

WHOLE SET and CONCLUSION

7084015301_d987670c6b_b.jpg

So, what do I think of LEGO's first journey into X-Men territory? Sure, of course I want a whole cast of my favorite X-Men characters and their stealth ship and the mansion and all of that, but I'm pleased overall. The minifigures are great, the bike looks cool, and the helicopter is fine. This set is certainly the most exciting set out of the three similarly priced Superheroes sets, although the Avengers SHIELD jeep is a nice-looking jeep. Really, if you care for the minifigures or like dark red or both, this is a great set. If you throw a fit every time you follow LEGO instructions and end up with a helicopter and don't like one of the best comic properties out there, stay away.

Still, I find the Batman sets to be a little more fun (especially the Funhouse; it even has Fun in the title). I don't like Batman the comic, but as LEGO the Batman sets are more shlock and zany and fun. These figures are lovely, and the helicopter is pretty good, but they're not as fun as some of the Batman stuff. Still, it's not much of a critique. X-Men doesn't lend itself so much to zaniness (despite Magneto's wacked-out costume; none of the characters seem to mind that for some reason). This is still a great set!

RATINGS

Parts: 10/10 - 201 for $20, lots of sexy dark red, flat silver cones, cheese, a motorcycle. Need I say more? Sure I do; I never shut up.

Build: 10/10 - Not too tedious, but not too quick. So that's good.

Design: 6/10 - Overall the copter is fine, but the gap is poor and the dual tail rotors are a failure. I don't even understand why anyone thought that was a thing.

Minifigures: 10/10 - Superb, really. Yes you can see Wolverine's headprint under his hair, but I don't mind. These are great.

Price: 10/10 - As the TV show goes, the price is right.

Playability: 8/10 - It's mostly just flick-fires, though it's a ship so by nature you can swoosh it. Not the most playable set, but it does the job.

Overall: 9/10 - That's quite accurate. The copter has it's flaws, but overall there's no denying that this set is a great deal and one to certainly pick up. Do it! You'll probably be more satisfied than if it was just a dark-orange cannon (I'm looking at you, Geonosian Cannon set).

Until next time! Shrakkk!

Fantastic. Everything I was expecting from a review and more :tongue:

About this set:

Very nice chopper, and the figs are terrific. As you said, it has its flaws, but it is still one of the best sets of this line. :thumbup:

Great review. I don't like the chopper but I love dark red, so all the curves will be useful. I can always use more greys. All the minifigs are great.

Nice review! I liked seeing all of the details this set has to offer. I think I'll pick it up just because of the figs and dark red.

Excellent review! :thumbup:

Man, I'm really looking forward to this weekend mostly because I'm probably going to pick this set up. The figures are amazing, and the helicopter is my first one in a while. :sweet:

Edited by just2good

Glad that somebody else shares my feelings about Magneto's costume (the purple decoration on the top of his helmet looks like it was modeled after his eyebrows to me :look: ).

I can't say I like the helicopter, not because it's chunky though, I don't like the curves, even though it's kind of a ridiculous idea. I'd probably strip it for parts anyway.

Edited by Superficial Username

Bravisimo! Another great and entertaining review. Maybe the designer was thinking of a Huey when making the helicopter? While they do have doors, most pictures I've seen of them are open. I really hooe we see more X-Men next year.

Another lovely review! This is on my "to buy list" but I'm still to busy buying the "The Avengers" sets. :tongue:

Nice review, Clone O' Patra :thumbup: !

This set may be one of the best sets released this year. All that dark red :wub_drool: !

Magneto's coloration is nice, with all the red and purple (although Magneto is old, right? So isn't it odd that an old man has a six-pack?)

Good review, I picked it up for 15 pounds and my it was worth it, the chopper was fun to build and looks really great, Wolvie is awesome, as are Magneto and Deadpool. It also fits the 10 cents a piece price as it has just overe 200 including extras.

Might have to buy another at that price.

I bought this set for Magneto, and because it is currently the only non film Marvel set.

Deadpool means zilch to me, and Wolverine is far from my favorite. But this is a great set, and great figures.

Great review!

I know I will pick this set up so it isn't a game changer. I do like how you described the helicopter as I pictured changing the blades in the least but after your review I think I will leave it be. Thanks!

Oooh, nice dark-red! Not totally enthused about the copter, but the minifigs are good, all that dark-red is useful, and could always use a motorcycle. Plus the price is right! Didn't see any analysis of the parts really, so I'm guessing that there weren't any totally new parts or anything super interesting... Thanks for the review!

Have a friend who is a heli pilot; will have to ask him about the dual tail rotor thing...

Thank you Clonie! I am looking forward to pick this set as soon as it hit the stores. In fact, I am searching for my childhood X-MEN action figurines and wanting to make a comparison. Those figurines were released back in 1991 or 1992 and I am very much excited to search for it. :grin:

I think the helicopter definitely looks better from some angles than from others. I hadn't noticed how small the windscreen was until looking at that head-on shot, and the hole in the middle of the helicopter looks worse from side-one. So pretty much the only way to look at the helicopter is from an angle. Still, it could have been worse. I like to imagine that the missile launchers are supposed to fold up to into the gap and fill it somehow, although I'm not sure I could say that this was their intention.

I don't mind the size disparity between the minifigs and the motorcycle. They are Lego figures. They traditionally cannot fit side-by-side in a car.

Didn't see any analysis of the parts really, so I'm guessing that there weren't any totally new parts or anything super interesting...

I didn't analyze parts because I hate taking parts pics :laugh:

So here's a little analysis for you:

The dark red speaks for itself. It's great.

There's the big grey train piece, which I did mention. That could have some uses, although it's kind of clunky. Good for space-ships certainly, though.

There is also the new SNOT peice: this guy.. That's a really nice piece.

There's the curved piece that debuted not long ago, as you can see on the front of the copter.

That's about it for parts. Nothing too great, but the SNOT piece is nice.

Any chase of seeing the chopper without the flick fire fins? they look easy enought to detatch.

Nice review, now I need to buy this set :laugh:. thanks you've helpped me make up my mind and these mini figs look great. Good clear pictures by the way.

Great review! :thumbup:

I love that Wolverine's mask is printed on his back, very nice detail!

I really enjoyed this set, but I have one question: There have been many dark blue minifigures that lego gave black or bley hands :sad:

So why now, for a character who's hands are barely seen behind big claws, did they finally make dark blue hands?

Edited by watersnap

I really enjoyed this set, but I have one question: There have been many dark blue minifigures that lego gave black or bley hands :sad:

So why now, for a character who's hands are barely seen behind big claws, did they finally make dark blue hands?

Because he wears dark blue gloves.

I'm really not sure what you're referring to. Firstly, it's up to LEGO to determine color schemes for their minifigures. Secondly, what do you mean by 'dark blue minifigures?' The only dark blue minifigures that come to mind that don't have dark blue hands are some of the Ninjago snake characters, but apart from that nothing comes to mind that 'should've had dark blue hands.' LEGO usually doesn't go with monochrome minifigures, especially in interesting colors, probably for aesthetic reasons. Dark blue hands against Wolverine's neon orange/yellow or Batman's grey, though, look great.