Sign in to follow this  
Makuta

Help with downloading and installing LDraw

I tried installing LDraw after download, and I don't know how to do it! Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to download and install it?

Just download and install SR 3D Builder. You can't go wrong with that, and the LDraw package is already there for you. Download the manual and you're good to go. :thumbup: Otherwise do the All-in-one-installer as Brickdoctor recommended.

I honestly use both. :wacko:

Just download and install SR 3D Builder. You can't go wrong with that, and the LDraw package is already there for you. Download the manual and you're good to go. :thumbup: Otherwise do the All-in-one-installer as Brickdoctor recommended.

I honestly use both. :wacko:

LDraw's website claims that SR 3D Builder is included in the All-in-One package. I'm assuming that that's the free version without all the extra features.

LDraw's website claims that SR 3D Builder is included in the All-in-One package. I'm assuming that that's the free version without all the extra features.

Oh, really? Have they added it to the latest one? I have an older all-in-one package.

All I was trying to render was LEGO Ed, Edd n Eddy minifigures for CUUSOO. I need help with Eddy's headpiece.

All I was trying to render was LEGO Ed, Edd n Eddy minifigures for CUUSOO. I need help with Eddy's headpiece.

Okay, but which editor are you using?

Okay, but which editor are you using?

Which would you suggest, MLCad or LeoCAD? If neither, then what editor should it be? Because I don't know anything about this.

Which would you suggest, MLCad or LeoCAD? If neither, then what editor should it be? Because I don't know anything about this.

If it's rendering you want to do, LeoCAD has more export options. I use Bricksmith on a Mac, so I don't really know how to set up LeoCAD. It should be fairly straight-forwad, but I'm sure there are some other members more experienced than I who can help you. :classic:

If it's rendering you want to do, LeoCAD has more export options. I use Bricksmith on a Mac, so I don't really know how to set up LeoCAD. It should be fairly straight-forwad, but I'm sure there are some other members more experienced than I who can help you. :classic:

Oh, really? Like who?

Edited by Makuta

I installed LeoCad, but didn't like the interface so I switched to MLCad and now SR 3D Builder. LeoCad does have the most export options and is the best for that, as far as I have seen. Installing should be pretty straight forward, as brickdoctor said. I don't know if it's included in the All-in-one-installer, I think it is though. If not you can find a download link at ldraw.org .

If you have problems or need help, let me know. I'm not an expert and as I said I have only tested LeoCad and didn't care for it much, but Doc seems to say it's the best for you due to its multiple export options. I'll check it out some more, hopefully tomorrow, it's late now.

You can also use sr3d builder, which is the easiest building software, and just use LDview to export (as far as I know it has the same export funtions as Leocad), but if you want to make your own LDraw pieces, none of the above will work, because they use the parts to build, and they're not made to make your own parts.

If you want to make your own part, you maybe want to contact "philo" (he is also on this forum). He has made many good LDraw pieces, so he knows how to make a good LDraw piece.

I hope this helps a bit :classic:

Edited by legolijntje

I contacted Philo, and he doesn't know what I'm talking about. Can someone send me a render of a new part like Eddy's headpiece? I need it for a CUUSOO project.

You can also use sr3d builder, which is the easiest building software, and just use LDview to export (as far as I know it has the same export funtions as Leocad), but if you want to make your own LDraw pieces, none of the above will work, because they use the parts to build, and they're not made to make your own parts.

If you want to make your own part, you maybe want to contact "philo" (he is also on this forum). He has made many good LDraw pieces, so he knows how to make a good LDraw piece.

I hope this helps a bit :classic:

Hold on a second! I'm using a PC computer, not a Macintosh. Therefore, I can't install and use SR 3D Builder! :(

Hold on a second! I'm using a PC computer, not a Macintosh. Therefore, I can't install and use SR 3D Builder! :(

SR 3D Builder works on Windows 7, as far as I can see it doesn't work on Windows XP, and I haven't tried it on Windows Vista. Are the parts you are looking for available in the LDraw library? Does anyone know this?

For me, I have no idea whom Ed, Edd, and Eddy are or whether they are available in the LDraw parts library. Sorry about this. Also what filetype does CUUSOO need it in? A picture document, a .dat, or what?

SR 3D is Windows-only. As far as I know, CUUSOO just takes plain image files, and Makuta wants to use CAD to make some nice renders to present his concept.

SR 3D Builder works on Windows 7, as far as I can see it doesn't work on Windows XP, and I haven't tried it on Windows Vista. Are the parts you are looking for available in the LDraw library? Does anyone know this?

For me, I have no idea whom Ed, Edd, and Eddy are or whether they are available in the LDraw parts library. Sorry about this. Also what filetype does CUUSOO need it in? A picture document, a .dat, or what?

Ed, Edd n Eddy is a Cartoon Network show created by Danny Antonucci. And I was trying to generate never-before-seen parts for CUUSOO to show everybody on the internet, such as a new-mold headpiece for Eddy.

Ed, Edd n Eddy is a Cartoon Network show created by Danny Antonucci. And I was trying to generate never-before-seen parts for CUUSOO to show everybody on the internet, such as a new-mold headpiece for Eddy.

Then, as far I understand (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), LDraw will not help you. If you want to create your own parts then you need to contact someone like Philo, as legolijntje said. He actually creates LDraw parts from Lego pieces. What you need to do this (again somebody correct me if I'm wrong) is an actual 3D building programme like Maya. I think gerkenz did something like this with Cheetah3D. That could be what you're looking for, although if you're not basing your work off anything I could imagine that it would be quite difficult.

Am I rambling?...I think so.

Then, as far I understand (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), LDraw will not help you. If you want to create your own parts then you need to contact someone like Philo, as legolijntje said. He actually creates LDraw parts from Lego pieces. What you need to do this (again somebody correct me if I'm wrong) is an actual 3D building programme like Maya. I think gerkenz did something like this with Cheetah3D. That could be what you're looking for, although if you're not basing your work off anything I could imagine that it would be quite difficult.

Am I rambling?...I think so.

Thank you very much! I hope Maya works.

@ Makuta: You may want to contact the owners to the rights of the Ed, Edd, & Eddy characters first, before you make an unlicensed copy of the character(s). Copyright laws may be invoked. There is a link to the official website at the bottom of this Wikipedia webpage.

Eds.gif

@ Makuta: You may want to contact the owners to the rights of the Ed, Edd, & Eddy characters first, before you make an unlicensed copy of the character(s). Copyright laws may be invoked. There is a link to the official website at the bottom of this Wikipedia webpage.

Eds.gif

How do I do that? I'm confused.

Well, on the official website, there is a "Trademark Information" hyperlink at the bottom of that page which reads:

"ED, EDD N EDDY and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Cartoon Network." Note the "Copyright" symbol.

On that webpage, there is a "Contact Us" button. Ask for permission to use their trademarked property in your Lego minifig head-type application. The Lego Group is very lenient about AFOLs creating their own Lego minifig elements, but they DO NOT use other company's property without a license (such as they did for Star Wars, Toy Story, Cars, and other similar sets).

Well, on the official website, there is a "Trademark Information" hyperlink at the bottom of that page which reads:

"ED, EDD N EDDY and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Cartoon Network." Note the "Copyright" symbol.

On that webpage, there is a "Contact Us" button. Ask for permission to use their trademarked property in your Lego minifig head-type application. The Lego Group is very lenient about AFOLs creating their own Lego minifig elements, but they DO NOT use other company's property without a license (such as they did for Star Wars, Toy Story, Cars, and other similar sets).

Which category and topic?

I don't know, man! CONTACT THEM! If you don't care about possible legal action against you, proceed at your own risk.