Sign in to follow this  
Makuta

Should Avatar: The Last Airbender be reintroduced?

What do you think?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should LEGO revisit this theme?

I remember the short-lived LEGO Avatar: The Last Airbender theme. A few members are making Avatar MOCs, but I want a theme revival. Since "The Legend of Korra" has just started airing on Nickelodeon, I think it may take a long time for LEGO to think if they are interested in renewing the license for Avatar: The Last Airbender. What are your thoughts?

Edited by CorneliusMurdock
Added Poll

It would be cool IMO if it were re-released, but I don't expect it would see much more success. The staying power of a licensed theme depends not only on how good the subject matter looks, how great the set designs are, or even how many fans the franchise has. It also depends on how good the franchise is at selling merchandise.

TLG's successful multi-year licensed themes tend to have one thing in common: They sell a lot of toys and other merchandise. Movie-based license themes often fade away when there is no new movie immediately over the horizon, as is the case with all movie-based toys. Unlike TLG's in-house themes, the marketing of the source material often plays a heavy role in the success of the theme, so TLG often can't control whether the theme lasts more than a year.

I'm no expert on the success of the A:TLA toyline, but I'm sure that as brilliant as the source material is, it's nowhere near the sort of merchandising behemoth epitomized by Star Wars, Spongebob Squarepants, Cars, or Marvel and DC Super Heroes.

Now, it's possible a Legend of Korra theme could show up within the next year, but my hopes aren't too high for it unless it can prove that it's really good at selling toys and not just at telling stories.

On a side note, LEGO Cuusoo seems like it's really good at getting more "niche" products made which can't necessarily sustain a full theme. So if an A:TLA or LoK proposal I liked were put through it, I'd definitely throw my support behind it.

The Lego Group could use Aurra Sing's ponytail hairpiece from Star Wars as Zuko's ponytail to modify the Zuko minifigure.

You could post it on CUUSOO and see what 10,000 people think.

I just signed up for CUUSOO. Now I'll try and get supporters to see if they would like it! Oh, I just found out that projects that request a revival of discontinued themes is prohibited.

Edited by Makuta

Of course it should be reintroduced! ATLA has gained quite a large fanbase since the original two sets were released, and considering for how much the sets and minifigs go for on the aftermarket currently, it would seem like just as good a move as reintroducing Harry Potter and Batman! Sure, ATLA may not be as timeless or popular as HP or Batman, but it's still pretty big, and with Legend of Kora currently running on TV, there should be some demand for it. There is lots of potential for sets, and I can only imagine how great the minifigs would be if produced today! And just think of a possible Lego Avatar videogame! :cry_happy:

On a side note, LEGO Cuusoo seems like it's really good at getting more "niche" products made which can't necessarily sustain a full theme. So if an A:TLA or LoK proposal I liked were put through it, I'd definitely throw my support behind it.

Well, I did put up my Appa MOC, so you could support that if you like it. :wink:

The Lego Group could use Aurra Sing's ponytail hairpiece from Star Wars as Zuko's ponytail to modify the Zuko minifigure.

I tried that actually. It doesn't look great, but it's certainly better than that puny ponytail they printed on the official fig.

No! I do not want this theme to return.

Care to explain why? :sceptic:

You could post it on CUUSOO and see what 10,000 people think.

Actually, I don't think they like it when you propose the revival of a theme, but individual projects might work.

No!

I do not want this theme to return.

If this is a joke then it sucked; and if not then why even post at all??

I personally would love to see this theme revisited. If I remember right it was put up against Spongebob and really didn't stand a chance, so it was an unfair fight. And now the two sets are expensive and hard to find.

So, with the reintroduction of the Legend of Korra, I can imagine releasing a few Airbender sets like they are doing with LOTR before the Hobbit. Especially if Nickelodeon decides to air the original show again; and not just on Nicktoons.

I'm starting to think that I only post when something Avatar related is happening here :laugh:! I would love to see this come back especially after watching the new two Korra episodes. I believe cuusoo already has someone trying to get support (if it doesn't than I have no idea what I joined then).

I would rant more on this, and maybe later I will, but for now I think Oky can do a good job of it :wink:

No!

I do not want this theme to return.

I hope this is a joke. Even so it is in poor taste when other users cannot tell your tone. If you really have a problem with this theme, explain why and don't troll the thread.

Everyone else should ignore his post. Joke or not, it doesn't need any further response.

While it has been suggested that this be merged with the Dream License thread, I'm going to allow it to stay open for now. I see no reason to not be able to discuss a past theme.

I, for one, would love to see what Lego could do with this theme if they really went all out with it as opposed to their previous outing. Avatar certainly has a style to it in both architecture and vehicles that would be neat to see done well in official Lego form, especially with the wealth of new pieces that have been introduced since this theme faded away.

God yes!

Your post could use a little more substance as well. If you really feel that strongly about it, it shouldn't be difficult to tell us why you would want the theme to come back.

I would love to see the Avatar theme return, but I do think that at least in LEGO terms it would be a bit of a niche market. Also I could suspect that there may be some copyright issues with the James Cameron Avatar over the name.

I have also seen someone else on CUUSOO try to get some support for some LDD builds for Legend of Korra.

Edit: Here is the CUUSOO build I was talking about:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/13835

Edited by Runamuck

I am not trying to joke or troll.

I wouldn't want to see this theme return, in my opinion the sets released of it was quite poor. I know the sets would be better designed today but it's not a theme I care about and I would like Lego to go after other lisences instead.

As for cuusoo not allowing projects wanting revival of themes is a bit silly, even if it wouldn't get made it would give LEGO another idea of what people are into.

On top of beeing what it is now it should be an official lego petition place. Most online petition places are quite lame and doesent get taken seriously here LEGO has a place where it would be possible to make petitions you'd be sure leago would read (once it has enough support).

It's an interesting question. On the one hand, the original sets failed for a number of reasons that may not apply now: the sets were produced before the show's peak, and before the current "golden age of licensed themes" where great pains are taken to preserve accuracy. But there's one factor that still applies: ATLA has never been much of a merchandise mover. Fans of ATLA are generally more likely to custom-make trinkets and doodads related to the show than to amass a collection of officially-licensed merchandise.

I personally would love the theme to return, having missed out on the somewhat sub-par sets from the initial release. But I'm not sure such a theme would be sustainable, and it could easily fade away just as quickly as it did back in 2006.

I'd love to get an ALA or LOK license. My only hope is that they wouldn't design the minifigures to have anime styled eyes. I was never a big fan of that.

Thanks for elaborating, deskp. :classic:

Since we are keeping this thread, could we get a poll for it?

ATLA has never been much of a merchandise mover. Fans of ATLA are generally more likely to custom-make trinkets and doodads related to the show than to amass a collection of officially-licensed merchandise.

Neither was Indiana Jones AFAIK, and see how that turned out. :wink:

No,

The theme wasn't popular enough before. Though the buildings and vehicles from it are fantastic, I'd much rather LEGO had it's own Samurai type theme. We have far too many licensed themes, let alone themes like Avatar which hardly anyone knows about.

Also, Avatar's buildings/vehicles are a very similar style to Ninjago, to me Avatar would just be more a expensive version of Ninjago.

No,

The theme wasn't popular enough before. Though the buildings and vehicles from it are fantastic, I'd much rather LEGO had it's own Samurai type theme. We have far too many licensed themes, let alone themes like Avatar which hardly anyone knows about.

Also, Avatar's buildings/vehicles are a very similar style to Ninjago, to me Avatar would just be more a expensive version of Ninjago.

Ninjago is more vehicle oriented, there are hardly any buildings. Saying Avatar is too similar to Ninjago is like saying Star Wars is too similar to Space or Indiana Jones is too similar to Pharaoh's Quest. :sceptic:

I would say no, simply because this show is not at all popular, and had a very short original run. A movie might change my mind, but I would disapprove at this moment.

Well, I did put up my Appa MOC, so you could support that if you like it. :wink:

I gave that one my support a long time ago! I agree that it needs much more support. It's an excellent model that I certainly wouldn't mind buying!

Ninjago is more vehicle oriented, there are hardly any buildings. Saying Avatar is too similar to Ninjago is like saying Star Wars is too similar to Space or Indiana Jones is too similar to Pharaoh's Quest. :sceptic:

I agree, that comparison is just silly. Sure, they both have architecture and fighting styles with heavy Eastern influence and heroes who control the elements, but other than that the two shows/themes don't have much in common.

I would say no, simply because this show is not at all popular, and had a very short original run. A movie might change my mind, but I would disapprove at this moment.

No offense, but you are obviously not aware of the ATLA fanbase. If it were "not at all popular", I don't think we'd be having this conversation. :hmpf: Also, it had 61 episodes, which is more than most shows can speak of. There is a movie, but it will hardly change your mind as it does not do the show justice (to put it mildly). :sadnew:

I gave that one my support a long time ago! I agree that it needs much more support. It's an excellent model that I certainly wouldn't mind buying!

Great, thanks! :thumbup:

Should I share the CUUSOO Appa MOC on Facebook?

Yes please! :sweet: