Sign in to follow this  
ED-209

"We have a Hulk"

Lego's decision to portray the Hulk as a jumbo figure has caused some debate, some people like him while others would have preferred a standard minifigure. I waver between the two but tend to lean towards a minifig myself. So I was pleasantly surprised to discover that TLG will be producing a version of the Hulk in minifig form as an exclusive:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68094&st=0

The downside to this is that the Lego website's postage to Australia is preposterously and inexplicably expensive, and that there may not be enough figures to meet demand. (Maybe? Who knows.)

So with this all in mind, I set about reproducing some decals. I figured I'd make both regular green and sand green colours, as well as both dark purple pants (as the figure has) and dark tan (like the film):

Hulk%2001.pngHulk%2002.png

Hulk%2003.pngHulk%2004.png

And just for fun, I went on to make a design for Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner. Keeping the trouser stitching from the Hulk figure, and adding a second face for when he begins to lose his temper! :devil:

Hulk%2005.png

Any feedback is most welcome! :wink:

EDIT:

A friend of mine suggested Grey Hulk and Red Hulk versions, so I thought - why not?! :laugh:

Hulk%2006.pngHulk%2007.png

EDIT:

I've now got more Hulks than I know what to do with! Now in bright green with dark purple and dark tan trousers, and a mysterious Blue Hulk that I wasn't previously aware of; AKA the Incredible Smurf! :grin:

Hulk%2008.pngHulk%2009.png

Hulk%2010.png

Cheers!

Edited by ED-209

Wow, really great work, I kinda wish I was experienced enough with custom decals to try them out! :laugh: That Bruce Banner head is really good, I may have to just go for it and try it out. :thumbup:

Excellent designs. I especially like the Bruce face. :thumbup:

Thanks! I wanted to use some of the same elements used in the Hulk face, just to tie it together. I'm not really sure how much it looks like Ruffalo though! Well, maybe his chin... :laugh:

ruffalo%2Bavengers.jpg

Wow, really great work, I kinda wish I was experienced enough with custom decals to try them out! :laugh: That Bruce Banner head is really good, I may have to just go for it and try it out. :thumbup:

Thank you, although I must admit I've never done water slide decals - I've only ever used sticker paper. The results look better on torsos than heads, as the edge of the torso helps to hide the edge of the sticker. But it's certainly very easy to do!

The custom decals are nice and all, and very accurate, but I don't like the darker hulk. No offence, but it looks like he has a bad cold. :tongue:

No, he looks sea-sick! :tongue:

It's not 100% clear to me which colour they're using for the promotional figure, so I figured I'd just do a couple of simple recolours to give people some options if they wish to use the images. If you had a prefered colour I'd be happy to do one for you? I've also just edited the original post to include Grey Hulk and Red Hulk versions too!

very nice, I started doing some designs for custom minifigs a year or 2 back but never got anywhere past the drawing board, how difficult is it to use water slides for this stuff? does it take some practice? or do you use some other technique?

very nice, I started doing some designs for custom minifigs a year or 2 back but never got anywhere past the drawing board, how difficult is it to use water slides for this stuff? does it take some practice? or do you use some other technique?

Well to be honest I don't know, I've never used water slide decals. I've seen videos of people doing it on YouTube, and it looks fairly straight forward. I also understand that you get quite a decent result from them. Even though they're lower quality I've always simply used stickers like these:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Office-Supplies/Labelling/Printer-Labels/Mailing-Labels/Inkjet-Printer-Labels/AV936020

I just wait until I have a full page of images ready, and print out a whole sheet of them. You can probably fit about 160 on one A4 page!

This is what the end result looks like with stickers (just the torsos, the faces are standard parts.) In your hands you can tell it's a sticker and the finish is a little matte, but over all it's pretty decent. Here are a couple of my previous figs:

BlackFalcons01.jpg

Well to be honest I don't know, I've never used water slide decals. I've seen videos of people doing it on YouTube, and it looks fairly straight forward.

I've had some great experiance with waterslide on white parts. It looks marvelous. However, it is transparent and so you need to take that into account when desiginging to put onto non-white (or even white to a degree) parts. The other thing is that IMO waterslide for inkjet printers comes out very poorly and way too much work. It's best to just take your designs to the local office supply store and have them print it out on a laser printer. They should be happy to use your own paper (the waterslide paper for lasers) and usually a priint will be around $1 or so. Not too bad for a full sheet of some wonderful decals.

Here are a couple of my previous figs:

These really look great! You could try printing it on glossy sticker paper to get a gloss similar to a real torso, I have tried this but just an idea.

No, he looks sea-sick! :tongue:

It's not 100% clear to me which colour they're using for the promotional figure, so I figured I'd just do a couple of simple recolours to give people some options if they wish to use the images. If you had a prefered colour I'd be happy to do one for you? I've also just edited the original post to include Grey Hulk and Red Hulk versions too!

No, I'm fine, I just thought it was a bit pale.