Rapscallion

Buying a BSB and a QAR - can I convert one of these to Imperial vessel

Hi all,

I'm currently aggressively bidding on a Black Seas Barracuda on eBay, and I've also ordered a QAR from Amazon. I currently own an old Renegade Runner and numerous boats, but also 4 hull pieces that I got from a boot fair years ago (bow, stern, 2 middle sections). I possess a metric tonne of pirate figures and about 10 imperials. My aim is to have a single large imperial ship that can combat the pirate horde - having never built a custom ship before, I need some help! Is it easier to convert the QAR to an imperial vessel, or modify/expand a BSB and take off the pirate flags? Ideally the imp ship would have a 4+ cannon broadside, 3 is acceptable.

I've seen the Imperial Flagship (102010) but at £245 (Amazon, cheapest I've seen) it is just too much money I think.

Any ideas?

NB. If you think the BSB is less suitable than another ship, please say so and I'll stop my pursuit of one :)

Cheers,

Rap

The beauty of the BSB is that it can be modified into an Imperial vessel very easily. In fact its as simple as removing the pirate flags and replacing them with Imperial Armada ones. Of the pirate ships its certainly the most suitable to be converted to a soldiers vessel, I can't really imagine the QAR being suitable for that role. It shouldn't be to difficult to increase the BSB's broadside although you will need modify the decking. Those two middle hull sections could be used to make a larger and more powerful vessel. I'm not sure what the going rate is for BSB's nowadays but it should cost a lot less than an Imperial Flagship would.

BSB is the most polyvalent ship, you can easely turn it into an imperial ship, increasing it's broadside shouldn't be much of a problem, on that hull you can easely add another cannon port on both sides.

Infact, you could even add two on both sides, making a total of 8 cannons.

That would make 4 studs between the cannonports, very reasonable.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice.

I have ordered a QAR from Amazon (had a £50 gift voucher so it cost £40 in the end) and also won an auction for a BSB from eBay (£58) so I'm quite happy.

I was considering buying a second BSB and demolishing it for parts so that I could turn my first BSB into a larger Imperial ship. Is this plausible, or total overkill? I already have the hull sections and a single mast /w rigging but not much else.

A second BSB would certainly allow you to make a much more substantial ship, if you have the money go for it!

I was considering buying a second BSB and demolishing it for parts so that I could turn my first BSB into a larger Imperial ship. Is this plausible, or total overkill? I already have the hull sections and a single mast /w rigging but not much else.

My preference is that the BSB is very nicely scaled as itself with length, width, rigging and sails.

I found a couple of good examples of rigging for expanded BSB's:

Farore.png and th_rec1.jpg

In case you don't know, I found these in the Ship Index :pir-wink:

They are both nice ships. I have converted the QAR into an imperial ship when necessary. It's quite simple, you just need to remove all of the bones, or replace them with black or brown wands. I have never tried that with the BSB (probably because I don't have it :pir_laugh2: ) but I think that would be better for converting to imperial.

Edited by CaptainBermuda

They are both nice ships. I have converted the QAR into an imperial ship when necessary. It's quite simple, you just need to remove all of the bones, or replace them with black or brown wands. I have never tried that with the BSB (probably because I don't have it :pir_laugh2: ) but I think that would be better for converting to imperial.

I've done just the same with the QAR. A very easy conversion and the sales look great with the old red imperial flag. I also, of course, turned the skulls round, removed the skeletons and added a nice lady figurehead...

I too can't see why you couldn't convert the BSB but the sails and stained glass give the QAR the edge for me out of the two.

Cheers

Rog

I don't own BSB but I am considering converting my QAR by going along the same lines as previous posters - I wouldn't want to alter her too vastly as I still want her to be useable as the QAR. A door to the cabin is a priority however!

As a compromise, she'd make a mightily good privateer vessel also I'd guess!

I'm quite surprised for how much the IFS is sold on ebay! If yoor looking for MOCs, Bricklink is your friend and your imagination (and wallet :pir-tongue: ) the only serious constraints. For a little Modding the Black Seas Barracuda is probably the most beautiful and best value for money ship. Practically it's an Imperial vessel with the wrong flags and crew. :pir-classic: