Sign in to follow this  
Rook

The Age of Light!

The wait is over…

...and you’re no longer safe.

Unless you’re in the Age of Light!

Villains beware the Age of Light is cleansing the galaxy of evil.

6928263574_5c06026603_c.jpg

6928249606_c2941ce115_c.jpg

Note Photobucket is having issues loading today for me but it will have all +170 images.

Flickr

Photobucket

Edited by Rook

This is amazing. Not only the building, but the blacklight gives it that perfect, eerie feel. I really love all of the detailing on this! I really like the four wings on the sides, too.

Holy Shit is right, that picture is awesome. The lighting is just spot on. It looks so menacing.

You never fail to dissapoint sir - and this monster is no exception. I as well as others am/will wonder the dimensions/part count when you have the time I am sure. I did read on your flickr stream that there were some things you don't like about this build and I have to wonder what they are. This to me is one fantastic build and as a fan I have to wonder what you dislike. I look forward to more pics including interior shots when you photobucket? is up or when you have time to take more. Great visual on the the pics you have here. Fantasic work again man, awe inspiring even.

After some discussion with my fellow ToroLUG’ers I think this SHIP might be a bit too Sci-Fi heavy for the SWU Forum area. If you want/need to move it. Feel free (maybe leave a shadow thread). Though it is based on the SWU and was intended from day one as SWU MOC. :thumbup: Thanks, Rook.

Also my Photobucket link now has about 80 out of 170 of the images uploaded. :blush: Having issues with my upload speed.

You never fail to dissapoint sir - and this monster is no exception. I as well as others am/will wonder the dimensions/part count when you have the time I am sure. I did read on your flickr stream that there were some things you don't like about this build and I have to wonder what they are. This to me is one fantastic build and as a fan I have to wonder what you dislike. I look forward to more pics including interior shots when you photobucket? is up or when you have time to take more. Great visual on the the pics you have here. Fantasic work again man, awe inspiring even.

This sounds like an hour long interview but I’ll give you a brief overview.

General Info:

No I haven’t really collected stats on it. I did on my first few larger builds (see Venator and Separatist Landing Craft) and then I realized who much time I wasted that I could be building. Rough guess would put it around 10,000-30,000 pieces. I’m sure there are some other large scale builders out there that could give you a better educated guess than that. She’s just around 6 feet. I haven’t pulled out the measuring tape but I’d guess 5’8 to 5’11 probably. I could give it a longer fueling rod on the nose and call it a flat 6 feet if that would make it more interesting. :tongue: I was able to briefly lift it off a table at a low level and so I’m guessing she’s between 60-90 lbs. A little hard to tell since size, shape, and location of the object are NOT similar to any of my usual gym exercises.

Pros:

Circular exterior with traditional right angled exterior. Highly playable especially for small hands.

Power function internal lighting and remote controlled turrets.

Dozen of so little ships/vehicles that detach.

List of about a dozen signature minifigures from users on theCBAG.net that submitted them as a “contest entry they didn’t know they had entered”.

Interior is of course finished as usual.

Cons:

Time! Between the Mrs. recovering from Breast Cancer and follow up surgeries, a new job, the in-laws needing help moving across town, and few contest entries (see FBTB.net MOC Madness Eternal Dusk). This took about 8 months to finish, which is about 4 months longer than planned.

Wing joint issues. I had great design but was extremely delicate. After finding out that I might be displaying it at Ad Astra 2012 I knew delicate wings would equal a bystander going “Oh can I touch…” followed by blood shed, cursing, and “mop please”.

Originally I was going to do a SNOT haul. However after inspecting my pieces I knew I was going to have to stick to my usual “frame, plate, tile, greeble” technique to reach the desired size.

Accidently put one of the power packs in a really hard place to reach. And both power packs changing the batteries would be a nightmare so I did make sure they where fully charged in December. However while on display a couple of nameless kind hearted AFOLs decided they’d power the bad boy up to show it off to the viewers. Not realizing that this meant it would most certainly be its only showing of the power functions. Fortunately Si-MOCs noticed the lights where on when he was shutting down on Saturday night. So I might still have enough power to shoot a video of the turrets in action. If not we’ll have to hope that someone somewhere posts a video of the hours that the turrets where spinning around in circles. If I have to rip it apart to replace the batteries, I won’t be bothering to reassemble it. One of the battery packs in located in the heart of the SHIP’s main hanger bay floor. Wrapped in a spaghetti works of technics pieces to keep it from moving around. In future I have plans of how to avoid such issues.

Edited by Rook

After some discussion with my fellow ToroLUG’ers I think this SHIP might be a bit too Sci-Fi heavy for the SWU Forum area. If you want/need to move it. Feel free (maybe leave a shadow thread). Though it is based on the SWU and was intended from day one as SWU MOC. :thumbup: Thanks, Rook.

Also my Photobucket link now has about 80 out of 170 of the images uploaded. :blush: Having issues with my upload speed.

Neh, I've tried arguing this point in the past and got shutdown by the mods. If you can make a case for it to fit in SW for any era, it's allowed. It's only pushing it IMO during large sci-fi contests when the vast majority of ships aren't technically SW.

Great ship by the way, I like the protruding translucent pieces.

Sorry Rook, I wasn't trying trying to sound interviewer-ish. :classic: The time, effort, and sheer part count astounds me as well as the finished product (of course). Just a big fan of your work my friend. And on another more important note I wish all the best to your wife. I hope all is going well for her and continues to be that way.

Sorry Rook, I wasn't trying trying to sound interviewer-ish. :classic: The time, effort, and sheer part count astounds me as well as the finished product (of course). Just a big fan of your work my friend. And on another more important note I wish all the best to your wife. I hope all is going well for her and continues to be that way.

I don’t mind interviews. Just thought the question(s) weren’t going to be able to be answered in a one line response. :D

WOW!

That's what I call nice combination of colors! Less is more!

Well I think I actually used about 10 to 12 colors on the exterior alone. However the strong majority is clearly white, neon green, and trans-light blue. :wink:

Update:

Age of Light added to Lego.com "May the 4th be with you", mosaic. :sweet:

small_10.jpg

Ah it’s been a long time since shredding a MOC was painful. After building for roughly 7 months in an 8 months time period.

Shred, Sort, & Store Times:

Corridor & Support Craft ≈ 3 hours

IMG_5891.jpg

Nose ≈ 2 hours

IMG_5892.jpg

Mmm, Chinese food when shredding is the best!

Shuttle ≈ 2 hours

IMG_5894.jpg

Main Hanger ≈ 3.5 hours

IMG_5898.jpg

Winged Section ≈ 3.5 hours

IMG_5899.jpg

Put away sorted piles ≈ 1 hour

*Minifigures left intact

Total time ≈ 15 hours

And you’ll note that at some point in the moving around of this MOC to shoot and display at Ad Astra it sheered a black technics pin in half.

IMG_5897.jpg

Here’s nice look at the belly of the Main Hanger during shredding.

IMG_5895.jpg

Some of might be asking, “WHY!?” Well quite simply my desire to build is greater than my desire to display. It would have been nice to try to take this to Brickfete and Brickworld however I just purchased a new car. So all my travel money for this year is gone! (Except a prepaid family reunion later this year.)

You’ll also note that this shows about 99.99% of my white tiles; white 2xX plates; and right angled technics in grey, bley, & black.

Edited by Rook

Ah it’s been a long time since shredding a MOC was painful. After building for roughly 7 months in an 8 months time period.

Nooooooooo :vader:.

How could you :cry2:.