Hey Eurobricksians,

I have some questions that some of you might be able to help me out with.

I have a CUUSOO proposal up here: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11050 to make Muppet LEGO. And while I know that it's not for everybody, and there are some people who evidently really hate the Muppets with the passion of a thousand burning suns, I want to try to strengthen that proposal.

Right now the proposal includes hand-drawn sketches of 35 Muppets. I think the sketches do a fairly good job of representing what I'd like to see done. And they look LEGO-ey enough. And while I've been told by some that they have some charm in their own right, I want to move past the sketches. My question for the customization kids is basically...(and this is a loaded question, and several of the purists will probably either vomit or faint)(not both, it's dangerous)...would people prefer to see customized, modified, butchered-up minifigs in three dimensions, or do you think the sketches are adequate?

My plan right now is to start with a sort of sub-set--the band from The Muppet Show, the Electric Mayhem. (seen here: http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/4/46/Electricmayhemposter.jpg ) ...my reasoning is that although they may need a few custom hairpieces/hats, they'd really just be torso redesigns on a standard minifigure. There are other Muppets that would really only be feasible with a smaller, Salacious Crumby-take (Rizzo the Rat, Camilla the Chicken, etc.) or oversized monsters. But the band members are all pretty much human/minifig shaped, when compared to Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, etc.

So. Advice? Should I start with them, post pictures and proceed from there? Should I include custom instruments for them? Really, I'd use guitars from the Minifigures line, and build the keyboard and drumset for the band; I'll have to research how to make a saxophone though.

Any advice/comments/criticisms are tolerated and appreciated. I know this has a one in a million (or technically, today, a 357/10,000 chance) of even making it to the review stage, but you know how it is with the obsessive compulsive. We can't let stuff go. :laugh:

I'm one of those who commented on the charm of your drawings, but agree that if you want to get this moving, some 'real' minifigs will be better at securing support. As I understand it, it is LEGO's job to decide what the exact final build and new parts will be, so your role is to do whatever you want to secure votes. So a thread like this is a good idea.

For me, the proposal looks good i.e. custom printed bodies and new heads. Using existing parts where available is neat e.g. chef's hat. Custom musical instruments where needed sound fine (I recently noticed some 3D printer designers offering such things) but hopefully things like the drums can be built from existing standard parts; I'd prefer that wherever possible.

LEGO have an existing relationship with Disney which is a plus. I'm wondering if you can 'do a Yatkuu' and secure celebrity support - Jason Segel seems to be a Muppets nutter!

While I can't speak to the minifig customization aspect, the LEGO Winter Post Office set has a brick-built saxophone. Coincidentally, that same set has a LEGO banjo--perfect for when you get around to doing Kermit. (I imagine a modification of the Space Police "Frenzy" head would be a good starting point for him, but like I said, I have no experience in minifig mods. :wink: )

Hope this helps! I'm supporting you, and I hope others do, too! :thumbup:

I'm one of those who commented on the charm of your drawings, but agree that if you want to get this moving, some 'real' minifigs will be better at securing support. As I understand it, it is LEGO's job to decide what the exact final build and new parts will be, so your role is to do whatever you want to secure votes. So a thread like this is a good idea.

For me, the proposal looks good i.e. custom printed bodies and new heads. Using existing parts where available is neat e.g. chef's hat. Custom musical instruments where needed sound fine (I recently noticed some 3D printer designers offering such things) but hopefully things like the drums can be built from existing standard parts; I'd prefer that wherever possible.

LEGO have an existing relationship with Disney which is a plus. I'm wondering if you can 'do a Yatkuu' and secure celebrity support - Jason Segel seems to be a Muppets nutter!

Thanks for your advice and your support--I want to work on the minifigs first, primarily because I have customized lots of toys in my time. I'm sadly more comfortable sculpting and painting than I am building. That said, I do want to use existing parts as much as possible.

I also want to get some 3D modeling of the sets; things like the Muppet Theatre are within my capabilities, I think--at least to get a better idea.

And yeah. Jason Segel. I've tagged him on Twitter and stuff when I've tweeted about the proposal, but haven't really launched a campaign. Hmmmm...

While I can't speak to the minifig customization aspect, the LEGO Winter Post Office set has a brick-built saxophone. Coincidentally, that same set has a LEGO banjo--perfect for when you get around to doing Kermit. (I imagine a modification of the Space Police "Frenzy" head would be a good starting point for him, but like I said, I have no experience in minifig mods. :wink: )

Hope this helps! I'm supporting you, and I hope others do, too! :thumbup:

First, thanks for the support. I have experience modding minifigs, but I like to do things my way, which may or may not be offensive to the LEGO/Eurobricks community.

And thanks for the information about the saxophone and banjo! I'll be checking those out.

Updated my LEGO Cuusoo proposal today with customized minifigures for the Electric Mayhem: the band from The Muppet Show.

That includes Dr Teeth, Floyd, Animal, Janice, Zoot, and I threw in Rowlf the Dog, because...he's a piano playing dog. How can I not include him?

I used the recent minifig guitars for the band, and then built the piano, keyboard, drumset and saxophone; that sax is ridiculous. And looks ridiculous.

I custom-sculpted some things, but tried to keep it to a minimum; except for Animal, all of the others have a standard minifig head, but with a reworked hat or hairpiece. I had sculpted my own hairpiece for Janice, but then the "Hippie" minifigure showed up, so I used that hairpiece for her instead. Works pretty well.

Anyway, if you're interested check it out; I'm just around the corner from 500 supporters now, which I think is what triggers "official notes" from LEGO.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11050

I actually really like the idea - it is old enough to allow AFOL's to remember their beloved childhood - and young enough to inspire the Sesame Street Generation(s).

Perhaps a couple of ideas to help expand how the series could work (edit: You listed most of them)

* Ralph and the Piano

Split the Muppet Theater into mini-views (cheaper sets?)

* The Balcony Scenes

* The Muppet Theater Stage

Many of these could also tie into the official Muppet Music Videos (links below). Ok just a shameless push to watch them again.

Edited by roamingstudio

Thanks for the suggestions Roaming! ...and yeah, those videos are awesome. :)

With Disney announcing work on "The Muppets 2," and fast-tracking it, I do think this could work.

I added the custom Electric Mayhem members the other day--and it passed 500 votes yesterday. :thumbup:

This morning I posted my first LDD, one of the Muppet Theater. It is my first, so I welcome suggestions. But be gentle. -ish. :blush:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11050

Please, do not turn this into a CUUSOO only topic.

jedikermit can share his ideas and look for feedback here, but this is not the place to muster supporters for the project alone. Thank you all. :classic:

(Thanks Teardrop)

LuxorV,

Is there a CUUSOO forum/thread around these parts? I checked with another moderator before I posted anything at all, not wanting to sully the good customizin' threads with crass pleas, and he said to go ahead and post the customization questions and ideas here.

About a week ago, the same mod said he thought a CUUSOO place had opened up on EB, but he wasn't sure yet where it is. Any direction/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Is there a CUUSOO forum/thread around these parts? I checked with another moderator before I posted anything at all, not wanting to sully the good customizin' threads with crass pleas, and he said to go ahead and post the customization questions and ideas here.

About a week ago, the same mod said he thought a CUUSOO place had opened up on EB, but he wasn't sure yet where it is. Any direction/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Used to be this one. Too many people tend to start their personal CUUSOO topics, though, so it may not be the most complete. We prefer people to post there to attract attention specifically on their CUUSOO projects, and showcase the MOCs, customs or general ideas in separated topics not meant to gather votes. :wink:

If you've got time, I'd hit some of the Muppet fansites and Twitter and whatnot and discuss the following: You've got a Muppet project on Cuusoo, and Wednesday (May 16) will be the 22nd anniversary of the passing of the Muppets' creator, Jim Henson.

Try and milk the whole, "Vote for Muppet Lego Sets, in memory of Jim" vibe.

LuxorV, thanks for the tips. I'll try to be compliant and non-annoying.

Battle_Gorilla, thanks for the reminder. I'll try to milk the death of my hero to support my project. THROUGH MY TEARS! :cry_sad: ...and I actually will try. LOL. I have some input on several of the big Muppet fansites, and they've done some promotion, I've sort of been waiting until my project looks better to really go full-bore on them. That'll be coming soon.

And JohnnyVGoode, thanks for the support. I know that the custom pieces hold some collectors back; on the other hand, I have Series 7 of the Minifigures looking at me right now, and I'm seeing bagpipes and space marine armor, and Viking chick, and Aztec stuff and a freaking bunny rabbit that are telling me they could handle making a few custom Muppet heads. :) If the idea's a good enough one for LEGO to pursue, they can make it work. A lot better than my proposal. :thumbup:

LuxorV, thanks for the tips. I'll try to be compliant and non-annoying.

Battle_Gorilla, thanks for the reminder. I'll try to milk the death of my hero to support my project. THROUGH MY TEARS! :cry_sad: ...and I actually will try. LOL. I have some input on several of the big Muppet fansites, and they've done some promotion, I've sort of been waiting until my project looks better to really go full-bore on them. That'll be coming soon.

And JohnnyVGoode, thanks for the support. I know that the custom pieces hold some collectors back; on the other hand, I have Series 7 of the Minifigures looking at me right now, and I'm seeing bagpipes and space marine armor, and Viking chick, and Aztec stuff and a freaking bunny rabbit that are telling me they could handle making a few custom Muppet heads. :) If the idea's a good enough one for LEGO to pursue, they can make it work. A lot better than my proposal. :thumbup:

You're welcome. Haters gonna hate. :wink: It's like Lego did with Squidward... The new design was better. Sometimes custom is the way to go. Good luck. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey guys, just a heads up that my Muppet LEGO CUUSOO proposal has been updated with 8 new custom minifigures:

Gonzo (Purple Tux)

Gonzo (Stuntman)

Camilla

Random Chicken

Swedish Chef

Sam Eagle

Statler

Waldorf

If you're interested, check them out here: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11050

More on the way soon, and more LDD sets.

Hey guys, there have been several updates since my last post on this here, including "Official Comments" from LEGO, and they said to keep on going. So I'm keeping on going. The blog Muppet Mindset just published an article on the proposal here: http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2012/12/quinn-rollins-and-great-muppet-lego.html and there are more LDD images, custom minifigs and some other stuff there. I'm almost up to 50 custom minifigs, and I know that realistically there's no way LEGO would ever take it that far, but I'm a little bit OCD and I'm just doing this for fun. Anyway, if you're interested check it out, and either comment here or there--I'm sure I'll see it.

I would vote as i genuinely like the idea. However as Disney now own the Muppets I think A: the licensing will be problematic and B: you're asking for non standard new parts and that's not going to go down well in the CUUSOO review process. I hate to say it but I think this project is going to fail.

Actually since Disney own muppets and have many other licenses with Lego it could see the light of day; the main issue would be the cross licensing of a 'muppet' (and various equivalent soft toys) and a Lego Brick rendition. However with the new palace cinema modular (pics on front page) it would be easy to convert to a muppet theater!

Jargo, thanks for the honest feedback--LEGO and Disney have worked together on several different properties now, and they seem to be playing nicely. The Muppets are owned by Disney now, and there's the Muppet sequel in the works. I think it's possible for them to make it happen if they want to. I think the licensing issue is a small one--and LEGO has encouraged me to keep going, both in official comments and unofficial ones privately. The other issue (new moulds for heads, especially) is the much bigger hurdle, and I agree that it may spell the end of the project. But again, LEGO hasn't pulled the plug yet, and I'm going to keep on trying.

Honestly, if this did make it through to production, I can see LEGO doing it with only a few new heads: Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo...they could get away with a face print for Miss Piggy (although I think a new head sculpt would work better)...and then there are enough Muppets you can make without new sculpts that they could have a pretty diverse cast of characters---the Swedish Chef, the Electric Mayhem band, Bunsen and Beaker, etc. Just because I'm obsessed with Muppets and keep making more and more and more and more of them doesn't mean that's how I think LEGO would actually handle it.

In any case, thank you for the feedback. I do appreciate it. If you feel like you can't support it, that's okay too. :)

RoamingStudio,

Thanks for pointing that out--both about the licensing/ownership issues and the difficulties of translating Muppets into plastic toys. I think the design of the Muppets can be hard to pull off in LEGO form, but the more I make the attempt myself as a sculpting/painting/designing amateur, the more I think the real professionals at LEGO would have solutions and ideas that would make it work. They're the best in the business--they could pull it off. :)

And I love that Palace Cinema--didn't even think about it as the Muppet Theater, but I love it. Of course. :)

Holy crap, this project's the best!

I would buy all the Muppet Legos. Especially if there were a Muppet Theater. All the movie stars from other Lego licensed themes would host the show.

"It's the Muppet Show, with our very special guest star, Johnny Depp...uh, still in his pirate make up...Yaaaaaaaaay!"