does the Chinook have folding rotor blades?

I was thinking how would I implement that (your model was so inspiring, that I started to think about building a chopper). That would be an awesome feature. If I have time, I'll try to build a prototype. I was thinking about using a turntable as the swashplate, but maybe that would be too big and ugly.

I was thinking how would I implement that (your model was so inspiring, that I started to think about building a chopper). That would be an awesome feature. If I have time, I'll try to build a prototype. I was thinking about using a turntable as the swashplate, but maybe that would be too big and ugly.

I didn't understood that.

If you mean that blades are folding while engine are off : answer is yes

If you mean that blades can be folded to take less place on storage : answer is yes too :wink:

I didn't understood that.

If you mean that blades are folding while engine are off : answer is yes

If you mean that blades can be folded to take less place on storage : answer is yes too :wink:

I meant the second one. I will be fun to implement!

I agree with the facts that this piece need an update ...studless version

Studless would be less useful.

Last but not least the original model as 3-blades rotors...That's a very complex problem. Official parts are ok for 4-blades rotors.

Ralph_s made a seven blade by attaching one to the center, it wasn't technic but still. Perhaps something like that.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Hi everyone!

I got new project currently. It will be an helicopter again but quiet more exiting in technological design.

I'am working on a CH-47 CHINOOK model.

I didn't have onother swashplate actualy, and i don't want to take the Bell's one.

So did someone have an idea to build a homemade swahsplate?

May be someone has 2 of them to let, th'ats another issue to this problem.

Last but not least the original model as 3-blades rotors...That's a very complex problem. Official parts are ok for 4-blades rotors.

Thanks for your help.

Steph.

A Chinook would be awesome! I haven't worked on any swashplates yet, but a chinook may be somewhat easier since the chinook doesn't have forward/backward cyclic movement in the swashplates. Since the Chinook has tandem rotors, forward/backward flight is controlled by varying the amount of collective in each rotor. This is still controlled by the forward/backward movement of the cyclic control sticks in the cockpit. Like a traditional helicopter, the Chinook still has collective control. You probably know all that, but thought I'd mention it....

The Chinook and Super Stallion (which I have part of the rotor hub built for) have been on my list of mocs, but it looks like you may have the Chinook built first. :thumbup::grin: In my Chinook research, I found the THIS site to be very useful. Also, HEREis a detailed description of the flight controls in PDF format.

I'm looking forward to your project! Your Huey is fantastic, and I'm really excited to see your Chinook.

The Chinooks fly over my house on a regular bases. They are really loud and make the pictures on my walls rattle. :laugh:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

but a chinook may be somewhat easier since the chinook doesn't have forward/backward cyclic movement in the swashplates. laugh:

That's partialy truth. It has a trim that auto-regulate the forward/backward cyclic movement in function of the airspeed of the aircraft. That's automatical and éléctronics.

The real challenge is in the commands and the mixing unit that mix collective and cyclic movement.

Thanks for the links you posted, it's very interresting!

That's partialy truth. It has a trim that auto-regulate the forward/backward cyclic movement in function of the airspeed of the aircraft. That's automatical and éléctronics.

The real challenge is in the commands and the mixing unit that mix collective and cyclic movement.

Thanks for the links you posted, it's very interresting!

You're right, I overlooked the trim function when I was reading through that PDF. Thanks for the info! It's always nice for me to learn something new. Are you going to implement the ability to trim on your Chinook?

I'm a fan of your work, and I'm looking forward to your Chinook!

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Are you going to implement the ability to trim on your Chinook?

Yes i would do that. I've no choise becouse the lego swashplate needs to be fixed by 3 points.

Actually i've realised a prototype of the whole command mecanism.

It's ok for the functionalities but not with the scale of that all. It's actualy bigger than the Huey complete structure! Need to be compacted. More infos in a new Topic coming very soon.

I'll also post new photos of the huey who gets new rotor head fully articulated.

Coming soon so.

@+

hi everybody,

here is my update to my project.

The hiller-bell stabilisation control bare is now fully functional.

note that despite of a full fredom of movement the rotor incline itself following the command of the cyclic control.

Edited by steph77