gmshades

Anyone else get excited when finally owning a certain set?

Sorry if this is a repost from someone else, but just seeing if there is anyone else as excited as I am.

I overlooked the 8292 Cherry Picker when it came out. But since then I've bought the 8052 Container Truck, 8109 Flatbed Truck, and 8071 Lift Truck. I wanted to complete the "set". After a year of trying to get a good price and fighting to win the auction, I was able to get 8292 used for $80 on Ebay. I can't wait to see it at home and build it.

Anyone else have a similar story?

I was pretty excited to get the 8292 Cherry Picker as well. It was on my list when I got back into Lego Technic a couple of years ago. I also have the 8052 and 8109, and want the 8071 but will wait on that one. I really like the scale of those models and recently picked up an 8273 from 2007 also.

When I first got back into Lego, there were three must-haves that I went after - 8421, 8275 and 8455. They were also the most expensive, but once I decided to make the commitment I couldn't get them soon enough.

Edited by Technic Gearhead

I really wanted 8145 (the Ferrari 599) for a long time. I finally found an auction last year that I thought might stay in my price range (it was mint with unused stickers). But, after spending 175 bucks I had to say I was 100% let down. Complete waste of time and space that model is.

I am sad to say I am not so excited for real technic sets these days. I own every one of them at this point (and in some cases up to 7 of each). I tend to get excited about building MOC's though. Grazis Tow Truck and Bigfoot, Barmans V8, Hans Snowgroomer, Lowloader and of course 6x6.

All of those pale in comparison to my excitement of building JC's Baldwin Crane. Its taken me 2 months to collect the parts but I should start building it soon!

The set that interested me was the unimog, when I built I was very disappointed and I discovered much to my regret that I like more yours MOCs and mine than the Lego sets, I guess is the price for trying to be a good builder. Now when I look at the sets I only see parts... although I admit some small interest in the helicopter. Nychase I think 8145 is not a technic set but if it were... it would be the most beautiful set of all, in my opinion.

Man did I flip when I got the Unimog! I always wanted one since I first saw it in 2010. It is amazing but now I want 8285 and 8258 because I kind of missed buying them.

I had a similar experience with the 8043 excavator. i researched the set for weeks looking at mods and the pros and cons of the set. when i finally got the set, i was beyond happy :classic: .

tim

Mine was the 8448. This was the set that brought me out of my "dark age". It wasn't the first set I got, but just seeing it had me searching the web and discovering LEGO all over again. I was lucky enough to recieve one, complete, as a gift!

The excitement of that moment may be surpassed when I'm finally able to get an 8466. Anyone have one for sale? :grin:

- Mike

When coming out of my dark ages in 2000, getting my hands on the 8448 Supercar. I was in heaven, I think I disassembled and reassembled about a half dozen times over the years just admiring the design and features and plain good looks of the set. Then getting the 8464 Pneumatic Front End Loader a year later, I was mesmerized by pneumatics and always have been. Then of course the eclectic 8455 Backhoe Loader in 2004, lucky I bought it, it retired not long after, snagged another, its still sitting in my MISB collection, hard temptation not to build another one. I highly anticipated the 8275 in 2007, wasn't disappointed, awe-inspiring and my first Technic RC model. I would 'groom' the carpet with it all the time, at the time the carpet was just fresh enough it would leave impressions of tracks and the dozer blade smoothed the carpet over. Biggest mistake I made was taking out in a couple inches of snow and tried, well lets just say, plowing. Got the underside soaked, thought it was done for. Doesn't work quite too well anymore, but still is an excellent shelf model. Other notables are the 8265, 8421, 8285, 8070, 8109, 8292, 9395 and 9397, and best of all time is receiving my 8466 4x4 Off Roader from 2001. Saw it on a TRU shelf, but it had a crunched in, taped up corner, so I passed on it. Worst mistake I ever made, luckily a fellow Bricklinker had one that I snapped up a few weeks ago. Haven't had the time to assemble, probably because I sit on this forum too much at night, which I thoroughly enjoy, but I'm drooling at starting the 8466 build.

Yeah buddy - enjoy that 8448 :laugh: , it held a lot of fun for me before I gifted it to you. Hey, just posted on this topic about that set, just got a hold of an 8466 from BL, wasn't cheap, but I've been waiting 11 years for this set, finally got it in my hands, only a tape seal missing posted by the owner, which reduced the price enough for me to afford it. Maybe I'll let you have it in say about a dozen years, about as long as I had the 8448...

Eric

Mine was the 8448. This was the set that brought me out of my "dark age". It wasn't the first set I got, but just seeing it had me searching the web and discovering LEGO all over again. I was lucky enough to recieve one, complete, as a gift!

The excitement of that moment may be surpassed when I'm finally able to get an 8466. Anyone have one for sale? :grin:

- Mike

Edited by TechnicFreak

When coming out of my dark ages in 2000, getting my hands on the 8448 Supercar. I was in heaven, I think I disassembled and reassembled about a half dozen times over the years just admiring the design and features and plain good looks of the set. Then getting the 8464 Pneumatic Front End Loader a year later, I was mesmerized by pneumatics and always have been. Then of course the eclectic 8455 Backhoe Loader in 2004, lucky I bought it, it retired not long after, snagged another, its still sitting in my MISB collection, hard temptation not to build another one. I highly anticipated the 8275 in 2007, wasn't disappointed, awe-inspiring and my first Technic RC model. I would 'groom' the carpet with it all the time, at the time the carpet was just fresh enough it would leave impressions of tracks and the dozer blade smoothed the carpet over. Biggest mistake I made was taking out in a couple inches of snow and tried, well lets just say, plowing. Got the underside soaked, thought it was done for. Doesn't work quite too well anymore, but still is an excellent shelf model. Other notables are the 8265, 8421, 8285, 8070, 8109, 8292, 9395 and 9397, and best of all time is receiving my 8466 4x4 Off Roader from 2001. Saw it on a TRU shelf, but it had a crunched in, taped up corner, so I passed on it. Worst mistake I ever made, luckily a fellow Bricklinker had one that I snapped up a few weeks ago. Haven't had the time to assemble, probably because I sit on this forum too much at night, which I thoroughly enjoy, but I'm drooling at starting the 8466 build.

Yeah buddy - enjoy that 8448 :laugh: , it held a lot of fun for me before I gifted it to you. Hey, just posted on this topic about that set, just got a hold of an 8466 from BL, wasn't cheap, but I've been waiting 11 years for this set, finally got it in my hands, only a tape seal missing posted by the owner, which reduced the price enough for me to afford it.

Eric

I think you bought the one I was looking at!! :cry_sad:

@jorgeopesi - had the same feeling about the Unimog, I was very certain I would buy the set, but realized after the build, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be...the logging truck that came out earlier this year (9397) was a better buy both in cost and function in my opinion anyway, funny both of them had plows w/ 'b' models, only difference was with the mod for the plow's rear bed it enclosed it, making for a nice experience if you put fake salt or sand in it, they have a lot like it in the northern US, though most are not cabovers, but still it is a fun set, luckily DLuders made those instructions happen, thumbs up to him and the Eurobricker that made the mod for the bed... :thumbup:

The set that interested me was the unimog, when I built I was very disappointed and I discovered much to my regret that I like more yours MOCs and mine than the Lego sets, I guess is the price for trying to be a good builder. Now when I look at the sets I only see parts... although I admit some small interest in the helicopter. Nychase I think 8145 is not a technic set but if it were... it would be the most beautiful set of all, in my opinion.

Sorry man, we could have flipped a quarter to see who could buy it, that's my way, I like to make others happy too...I bought it from a BL'er in Arizona, can't recall his name now, and not sure if it violates the Eurobricks TOS if I post his name here, so erring on the side of caution...

I think you bought the one I was looking at!! :cry_sad:

One other set I thoroughly enjoy is the 8288 Crawler Crane with a couple of small mods I did myself...

I was pretty excited when I ordered 8258. That was my first Technic set since I emerged from my dark ages. It's one of my favorite sets, although I have yet to get the Unimog.

I'm pretty excited about the helicopter coming out as well.

Forgot the 8258 in my favorites as well, guess I have a lot of favorites...its a large model, but what confuses me a bit about it, call me stupid if you want, is the fifth wheel on the back, with the length of the model I don't see how you could hook up a trailer to it, it would be way too long to even make a curve and considering the height of the backend of the model, it would have to be a sizable to trailer to hook to it...

I was pretty excited when I ordered 8258. That was my first Technic set since I emerged from my dark ages. It's one of my favorite sets, although I have yet to get the Unimog.

I'm pretty excited about the helicopter coming out as well.

I was excited to get 8258 Crane Truck since for some reason it was not sold in Canada. The build was quite enjoyable. Even MOC a 5th wheel trailer for it. The Unimog has been the most fun building attachments for it. Getting it wasn't as exciting as 8258. :classic:

They didn't market the 8258 in Canada at all? Man, that's weird, usually your S@H website mirrors the US one in terms of products and releasing of them.

I was excited to get 8258 Crane Truck since for some reason it was not sold in Canada. The build was quite enjoyable. Even MOC a 5th wheel trailer for it. The Unimog has been the most fun building attachments for it. Getting it wasn't as exciting as 8258. :classic:

They didn't market the 8258 in Canada at all? Man, that's weird, usually your S@H website mirrors the US one in terms of products and releasing of them.

Nope, it was "not available". :angry: I had to ask my sister in the US to purchase it for me and pay her back.

One would have thought being such an epic set, it would have been released in all countries TLG distributes to...

Nope, it was "not available". :angry: I had to ask my sister in the US to purchase it for me and pay her back.

Depends on the set, I picked up most of the missing miny models over the last months to put on my desk at work, didn't really care either way tho. However after I finally got 8466 I was fairly happy, and this week also got an almost complete 8285 which I thought looked nice, but after building it its alot more impressive than I expected and has such a huge amount of parts, I might even get a second one. Very happy with that set.

OT question about the 8466: is it normal for the front wheels to want to go off in different directions when pushing the set around? I think there is alot of play in the steering or something, both models have this problem.

I am excited atm waiting for amazon to deliver 2x 8043 motorised excavators to my door, one to build and one to make the b model with and then take apart to use in my other mocs. :laugh:

Sure, it's nstural for any lego fan, i get excited whens new part comes out tooand when a new LDD update comes out.

I was really excited when receiving each of the "classic" technic sets, but I think I was most happy with 8448. My frined bought it in 1999 and I was admiring it for next 9 years and when I decided to coma back from "dark ages", I first bought this set. It was my first technic build after almost 20 years and it felt great.

Definitely #4262 Quad-Bike. Despite the pre-fab pieces and overabundance of stickers, it brought me out of my dark age and re-introduced me to LEGO Technic.