TAFOL

MOC: Arc de Triomphe

In June of 2011, the Dutch LEGO forum Lowlug hosted a contest called "Laat zien hoe het moet" ("Show them how it's supposed to be"). The rules were simple: Build something that would fit within the official LEGO Architecture theme and something that could definitely be an improvement over 21008 Burj Khalifa. So I started building, and after 2 weeks I came up with the following result:

100_9973.png

Please note that this isn't something that was created for Eurobricks' own Architecture contest, but this is merely something I thought you'd like to see as one of the first MOC's I've posted here. So to be clear, this is not an Architecture contest entry.

Anyway, please enjoy the various clickable angles of this Arc de Triomphe:

100_9966.jpg_thumb.jpg 100_9969.jpg_thumb.jpg 100_9972.jpg_thumb.jpg

And here are some clickable shots of the real thing:

100_9974.jpg_thumb.jpg 100_9975.jpg_thumb.jpg

You can find more photos on my Brickshelf.

Please feel free to comment or ask questions about my MOC. Thanks in advance for your interest.

Edited by TAFOL

Wow, this really looks like it could be a part of the actual line of Lego Architecture sets! I have to say that the top part is my favourite, what with the way you staggered the bricks. Have you built any other landmark MOC's?

:classic:

- Noelle

I haven't built any other Landmark MOC's. Maybe I will in the future, but I'm not sure about that.

I like to build various stuff, as you can probably notice by looking through my Brickshelf. :wink:

Fantastic job. The only thing I could say about this is that it looks too skinny (i.e. the top section is too tall) but other than that I commend you for this awesome model! BTW, why isn't this in the contest? It would definitely be up there with the best entries IMO.

BTW, why isn't this in the contest? It would definitely be up there with the best entries IMO.

Because it has already participated in another contest.

And according to the rules, 'Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously)'. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks anyway for the positive comments. :classic:

Edited by TAFOL

It looks good and is instantly recognisable however I have a couple of observations:

1. The section above the sticky out collar (excuse my lack of architectural terminology! :blush: ) is too tall in comparison to the rest of the structure.

• Below the collar you have roughly 8 rows of bricks and above you have roughly 4 or a proportion of 100/50
  • Below the collar in the photo it's more like a proportion of 100/15

2. The detailing on this top section to too fancy. Close up there is lots of details but at this scale it makes it look a bit too fussy. If you compare your model to the photo the top of the Arc in the photo actually looks square and flat. I can see what you are trying to achieve but it doesn't work in this scale.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

1. The section above the sticky out collar (excuse my lack of architectural terminology! :blush: ) is too tall in comparison to the rest of the structure.

• Below the collar you have roughly 8 rows of bricks and above you have roughly 4 or a proportion of 100/50
  • Below the collar in the photo it's more like a proportion of 100/15

So you're telling me that the top section is a bit too tall in comparison with the rest of the building?

I can see what you mean there, and the only excuse I have is that I didn't know how to build it differently.

But maybe you could give me some tips for next time? Thanks in advance.

2. The detailing on this top section to too fancy. Close up there is lots of details but at this scale it makes it look a bit too fussy. If you compare your model to the photo the top of the Arc in the photo actually looks square and flat. I can see what you are trying to achieve but it doesn't work in this scale.

Maybe I could've built it differently, but I build it this way because I thought it was beautiful as is.

I'm sorry that you think otherwise, but I don't think I'll be changing the top section.

Unless you can convince me otherwise, of course. :wink:

Edited by TAFOL