Sign in to follow this  
Xarrzan

Heroica RPG - Quest #26: Quarry Clean Up

title.png

The cart rolled up to the quarry at a steady pace. The miner had fallen asleep at the reigns sometime ago but the donkey pulling the cart was quite familiar with the route. When the cart stopped, the miner fell out of the driver's seat next to a large boulder.

drunkenminer.jpg

A man stepped forward from the dust made by the cart and welcomed the heroes.

rsz_quarryman.jpg

"Welcome! Welcome champions from the Building of Herica! I hope you enjoyed the transportation I procured for you. Glad you all made it. Now...go kill the problem scaring my workers. Any questions?"

The man dressed only slightly better than the miner himself stood in front of a pile of shovels, pickaxes and a bag of, what looked like, coins.

The chosen heroes were:

knifk.jpgKnifk (Played by Bioniclover) *Party Leader*

Level 11.5 Knight

Power: 20

Health: 20/20

Shield Power: 6

Ether: -

Gold: 1

Inventory: Tfel (WP: 9 Longsword, Earth-elemental), Aegis (SP: 6 Shield), Potion x2, Remedy, Floral Bomb, Deadly Venom, Bedroll

hybros.jpgHybros (Played by JimButcher)

Level 14.5 Rogue

Power: 24 (19 for throwing weapons, except 21 for Ancient Throwing Dagger)

Health: 22/22

Shield Power: -

Gold: 278

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:10, Earth), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:5, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP: 5, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 7, retrievable), Helmet (Max HP +1), 5 Grand Potions, 6 Potions, 3 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 6 Nostrums, 6 Meads, 6 Smelling Salts, 2x Deadly Venom, Shovel, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy

guts.jpgGuts Holla (Played by Scubacarrot)

Level 11 Rogue

Power: 19

Health: 17/17

Gold: 169

Inventory: Lifestealer (WP:8,Ice, attacks restore 3 health), Bedroll, Shovel, Potionx2, Meadx6

alf.jpgJohon (Alf Gregory) (Played by Bricksandparts)

Level 13.5 Barbarian

Power: 21 (13+8)

Health: 21/21 (20+1)

Gold: 36

Inventory: Armour-Helmet I+1 max healthI-IequippedI Weapons-greatsword IWP.3I-IunequippedI---Sword of Decay IWP. 7I I once the target is inflicted with damage they lose a quarter of the power of the strike each following turn for three turns. the effect cannot be compounded with more strikes. Suitable to Mages Knights and Barbarians I---Meteor Blade IWP.8I-ILight elementalI-IequippedI-Healing Staff IWP.5I-Healing effect. -lended- usable by mages and clerics.---Focal Staff IWP.I 5 Focus Fire-Roll a 3 for 5 ether Suitable for clerics and mages. IunequippedI Tools-shovel---pick-axe---Magnifying Glass---magic compass POTIONS---potion I2I-Venom I1I-Ice Bomb I1I-Phoenix Essence I1I-Mead I1I ELEMENTS-Aquamarine, Scroll of Sleep I1I---Scroll of Blindness I1I---Scroll of Sealing I1I---Scroll of Confusion I1I

elgar.jpgElgar Gligin (Played by Jedi master Brick)

Level 10 Ranger

Health: 14/14

Gold: 2

Inventory: Mockhril crossbow (WP:9 Lightning Elemental), Faxthril Longbow WP:5, Smoke bomb, Bedroll, emerald, Orc Venom, Potion (2), Venom, Spade

QM Note: Heroes, please check your stats for accuracy and ask any questions you have.

Edited by Xarrzan

Hybros dismounted the cart, and paused for his companions to ask any questions. He wanted to see their reactions to the man first. He hadn't even introduced himself, let alone give any details as to what the problem was. He was curious about what kinds of questions his allies would ask before interrogating what he assumed to be the employer himself.

OOC: I updated my stats after a trip to the market. Zoot's Reaper is now earth-elemental and Hybros is 150 gold lighter.

Johon steps forward to the miner.

"I don't like just rushing into things, Are there any places we could shop? Is there anything you could lend us?"

Johon walks over and picks up the cup the miner dropped (first pic) and examines it.

"Could we keep this? Also, who is still left at the quarry? Do you know where we could find one of the miners that left? We'd be able to get a better Idea of what we are going up against."

"Knifk likes this man. You heard employer, party. Let's go kill things." the Orc called out. He was slightly surprised at being named Party Leader, but didn't show it. He figured it wasn't going to be to difficult, all he had to do was tell them which order to kill their enemies in and decode who gets what loot. He was excited by this Quest, it seemed nice and simple. No mysterious disappearances, no evil artifacts radiating dark power, just nice, clean, carnage. Just what an Orc did best.

"Knifk likes this man. You heard employer, party. Let's go kill things." the Orc called out. He was slightly surprised at being named Party Leader, but didn't show it. He figured it wasn't going to be to difficult, all he had to do was tell them which order to kill their enemies in and decode who gets what loot. He was excited by this Quest, it seemed nice and simple. No mysterious disappearances, no evil artifacts radiating dark power, just nice, clean, carnage. Just what an Orc did best.

Johon walks over to his new party leader.

"I think we should find out more about this before we go blundering into the unknown. Let's see if he has a map of the quarry, supplies we can use, and other information."

Johon walks into the quearry to see if this mine has a mine cart.

Johon walks over to his new party leader.

"I think we should find out more about this before we go blundering into the unknown. Let's see if he has a map of the quarry, supplies we can use, and other information."

Johon walks into the quearry to see if this mine has a mine cart.

"No let's kill stuff D=<" Knifk scoffs at the barbarian. "Knifk is certain that we will not come across problems Knfk cannot fox with either Diplomacy or his fancy new Earth flavored sword. Let party proceed with bashing."

Johon steps forward to the miner.

"I don't like just rushing into things, Are there any places we could shop? Is there anything you could lend us?"

Johon walks over and picks up the cup the miner dropped (first pic) and examines it.

"Could we keep this? Also, who is still left at the quarry? Do you know where we could find one of the miners that left? We'd be able to get a better Idea of what we are going up against."

100x100quarryforeman.jpg

The Quarry owner turned toward Johon and addresses him:

"Shop? This is a quarry! You can buy some high quality quartz or marble but I only sell them in 10 ton blocks, and you have to buy in bulk so, no orders less than 50. And lend!? I thought I asked for experienced heroes. Doesn't that bar of yours give you equipment?"

100x100drunkenminer.jpg

As Johon picked up and examined the cup, the miner quickly snatched it from his hand. The miner tilted the cup up to his mouth while a few more drops of liquid hit his tounge. He peered into the cup for a second before saying

"Hey! Thats my lucky drinkin' cup...hiccup...I see you trying to steals it." The miner again tried to obtain some liquid from the empty cup.

100x100quarryforeman.jpg

The Quarry owner addressed the party again:

"Berg is the only miner still around. You can ask him whatever you like although I'm not sure how much help he'll be."

OOC: I'm waiting for the other participants before continuing with the quest.

Edited by Xarrzan

Guts woke up from the trip, he could hardly remember getting on it, at least he had a healthy supply of booze with him, this time around. Looking around, he saw Knifk, and a couple of heroes he had not quested with before. "I'm ready."

I believe Knifk's power should be 20 :)

Elgar looking quietly examined the quarry then asked " have there been any deaths yet?"

OOC: my stats are all right

100x100quarryforeman.jpg

The quarry owner looked at Elgar with a bored expression then said, "No, no deaths at my quarry, none. Just scared workers that need to get back to work!" The quarry owner kicked the drunk miner for emphasis but the miner was fast asleep. "Well...get to it." stated the quarry owner. He pointed down a path for the group to follow.

The path led down into the open air quarry. There were many rocks to be seen. Rocks to the left, rocks to the right...pretty much just rocks. It was a boring landscape of grey. The party came to a landing with two options. They could turn right and head further into the quarry or they could turn left and head toward an alcove of rocks and shadowy areas.

OOC: Johon's inventory has been added. Hybros's weapon has been updated. Knifk's power has been changed to 20.

Johon is annoyed that the QM party decided to go in so early, he wanted to find out more about what was going on.

"Can we go back? We could should get a torch lit, I can do it really quick. Also, I want to see if we can get our reward raised, he seemed a bit greedy, just wanting to throw us in here. Perhaps we could persuade him to get us a weapon upgrade."

Edited by Bricksandparts

"I'd still like to make a torch. And that unorganized manager didn't even provide us a map of the quarry."

"No. This is Knifk's party, so party will do thing's Knifk's way. Knifk's way being explore everywhere and kill anything that doesn't become your friend. So stop being a sissy. Party will check out alcove before going deeper into the quarry."

Guts grinned as Knifk spoke decisively. The orc had been his companion for all his adventures in Heroica, so far. And although they shared little words, Knifk was someone who Guts could count on in combat. Following Knifk a few paces, Guts said to the barbarian:

"There was nothing of value back there, we take what we find along the way, and deal with the problem, collect our reward, and be done with this. All within the time it takes for me to run out of booze."

Speaking of booze, Guts consumed a mead, to prepare for whatever was ahead.

"No. This is Knifk's party, so party will do thing's Knifk's way. Knifk's way being explore everywhere and kill anything that doesn't become your friend. So stop being a sissy. Party will check out alcove before going deeper into the quarry."

"Hey, just because some low classed, unorganized guy who can't pay anyone fair wages hired you to be a party leader doesn't mean this is all about you."

Johon decides to leave the party and go seek the owner of the mine.

"Do you even have a map of this place?"

After asking the miner, he decides to make a torch. To do this, he makes a fire bow:

PMOCbeginnerset.jpg

He uses the Fire bow to start a fire.

After this, he makes a tepee with sticks and straw and wraps some string around it to form a torch. He them places the tinder from the fire into the torch and packs some wood and straw into his pack and sets off down the cave again (After asking the owner about the map). He meets up with the party discussing where to go next.

Johon examines this part of the quarry. If he finds anything shiny or strange looking (other than Knifk :devil: ) he will try to see if he an remove it from the wall with his pick-axe or shovel.

Not good. The barbarian was antsy and the party leader was headstrong and reckless. He predicted that problems would arise between the two conflicting personalities. At least he felt comfortable within the high rocky walls, with soft earth beneath him. With a sigh Hybros followed the party into the alcoves.

OOC: Wrong thread, thought this was Lion's Share. Oops. :blush:

Edited by Kadabra

100x100quarryforeman.jpg

The quarry owner watched as the Barbarian ran up the hill to him. When Johon was close enough the quarry owner spoke, "Did your team die already? That was fast." The quarry owner listened to the Barbarian's question and watched as he started to make a torch. "You're not too experienced with quarries are you? Alright, let me explain it this way. A quarry isn't a mine. Mines are shafts or corridors that traverse into the ground. A quarry is a big hole in the ground. Think of it as a lake that has no water in it. That's what we usually do with them when we are done digging. We fill the quarry with water then sell the surrounding property to rich people who then build their lake houses. Here, I'll draw something in the dirt." The quarry owner knelt down into the dirt and drew a crude map.

map.jpg

When the quarry owner was finished, he stood up and admired his map. He then said "Alright, that 'X' in the bottom right corner is us. That's where you and your team started. If you stand on any edge of the quarry you can generally see the entire thing. Now your team walked down the path until they came to the landing. That's the path my carts take to get down to the quarry. You're team is currently at the 'T' location on my amazing map. I can see them from here but they are walking toward those rocks. I didnt feel like clearing those rocks out when we started. Now if you..." when the quarry owner looked up he noticed that the Barbarian had already run off to join his party.

soundtrapset_shrunk.jpg

The party decided to head to the shadowy alcove. They traversed through the maze of rocks and everyone avoided the strange vine, the only sign of life in this quarry. As Johon sprinted to catch up to the group he tripped over the vine and set off a device. An arm swung forward creating a high pitched screech that hurt everyone's ears and caused 3 damage to each hero.

soundtraptriggered_shrunk.jpg

As their hearing began to return they heard a faint voice around a large boulder.

"Hello? Is someone there?"

knifk.jpgKnifk (Played by Bioniclover) *Party Leader*

Level 11.5 Knight

Power: 20

Health: 17/20

Shield Power: 6

Gold: 1

Inventory: Tfel (WP: 9 Longsword, Earth-elemental), Aegis (SP: 6 Shield), Potion x2, Remedy, Floral Bomb, Deadly Venom, Bedroll

hybros.jpgHybros (Played by JimButcher)

Level 14.5 Rogue

Power: 24 (19 for throwing weapons, except 21 for Ancient Throwing Dagger)

Health: 19/22

Gold: 278

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:10, Earth), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:5, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP: 5, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 7, retrievable), Helmet (Max HP +1), 5 Grand Potions, 6 Potions, 3 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 6 Nostrums, 6 Meads, 6 Smelling Salts, 2x Deadly Venom, Shovel, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy

guts.jpgGuts Holla (Played by Scubacarrot) Encouraged

Level 11 Rogue

Power: 1938

Health: 14/17

Gold: 169

Inventory: Lifestealer (WP:8,Ice, attacks restore 3 health), Bedroll, Shovel, Potionx2, Meadx5

alf.jpgJohon (Alf Gregory) (Played by Bricksandparts)

Level 13.5 Barbarian

Power: 21 (13+8)

Health: 18/21 (20+1)

Gold: 36

Inventory: Armour-Helmet I+1 max healthI-IequippedI Weapons-greatsword IWP.3I-IunequippedI---Sword of Decay IWP. 7I I once the target is inflicted with damage they lose a quarter of the power of the strike each following turn for three turns. the effect cannot be compounded with more strikes. Suitable to Mages Knights and Barbarians I---Meteor Blade IWP.8I-ILight elementalI-IequippedI-Healing Staff IWP.5I-Healing effect. -lended- usable by mages and clerics.---Focal Staff IWP.I 5 Focus Fire-Roll a 3 for 5 ether Suitable for clerics and mages. IunequippedI Tools-shovel---pick-axe---Magnifying Glass---magic compass POTIONS---potion I2I-Venom I1I-Ice Bomb I1I-Phoenix Essence I1I-Mead I1I ELEMENTS-Aquamarine, Scroll of Sleep I1I---Scroll of Blindness I1I---Scroll of Sealing I1I---Scroll of Confusion I1I

elgar.jpgElgar Gligin (Played by Jedi master Brick)

Level 10 Ranger

Health: 11/14

Gold: 2

Inventory: Mockhril crossbow (WP:9 Lightning Elemental), Faxthril Longbow WP:5, Smoke bomb, Bedroll, emerald, Orc Venom, Potion (2), Venom, Spade

Hybros rubbed his ears in pain from the screech. He grumbled at the carelessness of Alf.

"Whatever that was, it wasn't good. And that's what we're here for. So let's take a look." Those were his first words of the quest to the strangers.