Sign in to follow this  
kris kelvin

MOC: Wehrmacht Base

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Well...

What can I say?

I wanted to build something completely different, but I did not work out. Then I wanted to build something even more different, but it did not work out. And quite accidentally adding diffrent things I`ve made this. Let`s say that is fictional Wehrmacht base somewhere in ocuppied Poland.

Two buildings, crane, railway siding and some small things.

It has no sense. I was building, and building and that is the effect :tongue:

Flickr

Bricklink (when public)

7038032659_02e8d8cc22_b.jpg

Some details:

a5.jpg_thumb.jpg a6.jpg_thumb.jpg a7.jpg_thumb.jpg a8.jpg_thumb.jpg a9.jpg_thumb.jpg b1.jpg_thumb.jpg b2.jpg_thumb.jpg b3.jpg_thumb.jpg

Enjoy :classic:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

AWESOME WWII inspired base 'kris' :thumbup: , though they better watch out for Col. Hogan and crew......they might blow it up. :grin:

Very nice build with a lot of things happening...like the crane the most.

The only thing I have since I went to the outer side - read working for LEGO - is that my opinion about building "war stuff" is changed a bit. Although I have nothing against it and most creations are very nice builds be honest... I always keep in mind that pictures like this can maybe be seen by moms and dads... and if they're not aware that this is a MOC, they could think that LEGO is producing war-like themes. And since we all love the brand this is not a good thing IMO for the brand. As you all know their was a lot of fuss about the LEGO Concentration camp by Zbigniew Libera(link)

I think banning war-like creations would be ridiculous because everybody should be free to build what he/she likes... but maybe the community can think about the idea of putting somekind of symbol/wording on war-like MOC's to make it clear to the rest of the world that this is not official LEGO. Just an idea.

I think banning war-like creations would be ridiculous because everybody should be free to build what he/she likes... but maybe the community can think about the idea of putting somekind of symbol/wording on war-like MOC's to make it clear to the rest of the world that this is not official LEGO. Just an idea.

So you're saying you have nothing against "war stuff" but it should be censored? Bad call.

This is AMAZING!

The main building and crane are really gorgeous! It is the best creation on war-theme;)

So you're saying you have nothing against "war stuff" but it should be censored? Bad call.

Try to read my post again. Personaly I have nothing against it but as a designer at LEGO I think different about it because like I said, pictures like this could harm the brand if it's not well communicated. Does it make sence now?

i thought the main gate was real well-made!

the brickwork to the buildings look complex and good too.

It was a horrible time in WWII...

but this is a great building that tells lots of stories

He never said anything about censoring, Capt. Kirk even explicitly stated "I think banning war-like creations would be ridiculous because everybody should be free to build what he/she likes...". All he was talking about was the idea to maybe make some sort of symbol/logo/watermark/whatever that the community can use to place on photos of war MOCs, so it doesn't get associated with the LEGO Group :classic: .

I think this is a great MOC, Kris. It somehow vaguely reminds of a multiplayer map in the first Call of Duty game. The buildings are well-built and the way you made the fencing is interesting, too. The MOC could be easily converted to represent "normal" railroad buildings and warehouses.

He never said anything about censoring, (..) All he was talking about was the idea to maybe make some sort of symbol/logo/watermark/whatever that the community can use to place on photos of war MOCs, so it doesn't get associated with the LEGO Group.

That's exactly what censoring is. Put a label or watermark on any MOC that might be considered objectionable.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, it should be about this great looking Wehrmacht Base.

*Snip*

No offense, but around 70% of this forum is people posting about MOCs they've built. I'm sure there's at least around 100+ creations depicting war on this forum, and there are big communities on Flickr and such building entirely for this reason. I don't think this creation could possibly be mistaken for a set, though your concern does make sense.

I really, really like this creation, and as for realism, I somehow seem to be getting a dystopian steampunk vibe.... :laugh: I love all the little details, it's those things that make dioramas what they are. I love your fence technique, as well as the makeshift guardposts up on the roof. :thumbup:

Thanks all for nice feedback. It`s always nice

Capt. Kirk - has some good point here. I understand this. I wanted to use Nazi flag in this MOC but decided not doing this. It looks much better, but it would be too far in my opinion. So only minifigures, and no German flags, or signs.

This creation is really fantastic, I like all the small details you added, and the buildings are amazing!

That's exactly what censoring is. Put a label or watermark on any MOC that might be considered objectionable.

We probably have a different view on censorship. Censorship for me is forbidden to show it at all or speak about it all.

So you end up with stuff like the below image.

censored580.jpg

As far as I can see in my posts I never said - not allowed to show it. I don't want to go this way because personally I find this liberty restrained. It was more about the thought of given WWI or WWII Moc's a symbol somewhere in the right corner to avoid consumer confusion and via this way avoiding harming the brand LEGO. Like this can maybe enough:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Kris1234/Prohibition/1.jpg

http://lego.alanstudio.hk/moc-7641-mcdonalds/cover.jpg

Why I have given this a reflection/thought?

At LEGO we have consumer service and they give us feed back from the consumers (related to the project you working on). We take these comments from consumer service at LEGO serious because we want to deliver a good product at the end. Following on this I think I can say that most people in the community have no clue what people all over the world write to us and that some of the complaints are literally about confusion (product or an images).

Why is there confusion?

Because a lot of people around the world don't know there is a LEGO community and that they build LEGO for a hobby. Because of this, people think that some images are official LEGO (especially when they're framed like a LEGO box). Step back and refect yourself before you started with LEGO...did you know it was this big...in all honesty, I don't think so.

What do you think if parents see this?

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/box.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4410261693_f3bb6ec0e9.jpg

http://www.sonicgear.org/BootlegFakes/BootlegImages/LegoKnuckleface.jpg

You know it's fake because LEGO is your passion...you eat and breath bricks... :pir-laugh:

But what about people who just buy it for their kids?

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, it should be about this great looking Wehrmacht Base.

I agree although I still wanted to make one last statement to illustrate the bigger picture we maybe have to look at.

Some really nice points made Capt. Kirk.

I don't think that anyone wants to see any degree of censorship of this or any other kind of MOC. We're all adults after all.

And I don't think it's TOO much of a worry that a parent might see a MOC somewhere and suddenly think that Lego designed it. Unless they're some sort of crazy-knee-jerk-reaction-type who loves to get upset and complain on the internet about things - I do think that TLG does a good job of protecting its image already (though perhaps it's through behind-the-scenes activities like this that this happens?)

I like that Lego stays away from war themes, but I do like that it can be MOC'd into anything at all, WWII or otherwise. That said, I do find that the obsession with WWII many people have quite interesting, given that it was all rather horrible!

*Snip*

LEGO doesn't sell them, the people can't buy them. LEGO has a strict non-war policy. Consumer confusion doesn't matter, because people can't consume something they cannot own. :laugh: It's not possible to justifiably slander LEGO because people make war-based creations. They've done enough to distance themselves from the war-building community, making people mark their pictures just for fear of an unjustified backlash is a bit extreme.

A very beautiful design of the base. Love love love the buildings and your style. The fence is masterful along with the crane. I love everything about this. You have inspired me sir!

I think your MOC is fantastic, it really catches the era, and it also reminds me of a Call of Duty map.

Very very cool.