prateek

Lego Acquires LDraw Parts Library

From LDraw.org:

LEGO Group Acquisition of LDraw.org Parts Library Announced

LDraw.org and LEGO System A/S jointly announced today that LDraw.org has agreed to sell its rights in the development of the LDraw Parts Library to the LEGO Group, the publisher of the virtual building software LEGO Digital Designer (LDD), for $5.35 million. The LDraw.org Steering Committee members have been offered employment by the LEGO Group, who will continue software development and operations from the former LEGO Universe studio in Louisville, Colorado.

“We’re excited about the integration of the LDraw Parts Library to fill the gaps of old virtual LEGO parts currently missing in LDD, but re-engineered by the fans and are happy to have the core of the community officially join the LEGO team,” said Søren Askildson, Senior Executive Vice President at the LEGO Software Engineering; Development Department. “This acquisition demonstrates our commitment both to the ongoing success of LEGO Digital Designer and to an overall strategy to expand our brand online.”

“LDraw.org’s focus is developing a solid easy-to-use library on an open document file format, and publishing the next generation of virtual building CAD systems,” said Willy Tschager, Member of the LDraw.org Steering Committee . “We’re proud of the library our community built, and are certain that it has a bright future. The transition of members of our team to the LEGO Group enables us to focus completely on internally-published, free-to-play software businesses.”

LEGO System A/S entered into a free-data-for-advisory relationship with LDraw.org as to build LEGO Universe in 2006. The acquisition of the rights to the library and the ability to transition members of the team to continue work on the library follows the fulfillment of the LEGO Universe development contract.

LDD as a virtual building experience attracts several million people each year to build a huge range of amazing creations. The LDraw System of Tools is a popular system of free software tools for modeling LEGO creations in 3D on a computer. The parts library that is central to the programs is under continuous maintenance and extension by the LDraw community since 1997.

Hope this means we will be seeing more quality and quantity of brick renderings in LDD very soon! Can't wait! :thumbup:

Edited by prateek

Can we please wait until April 2nd in all timezones to post exciting news? :wink:

I remember reading that LDD parts are modeled with a different origin than LDraw parts, so they shouldn't even be easily convertible.

I too am weary due to the january 1st thing but if its true i hope its an improvement. :thumbup:

I too am weary due to the january 1st thing but if its true i hope its an improvement. :thumbup:

Moderator please delete this post something went wrong with something every time i tried writing the 4th month of the year it would post it as January ..crazy

Moderator please delete this post something went wrong with something every time i tried writing the 4th month of the year it would post it as January ..crazy

Hinck's playing around with the profanity fiIter again. Just because it's ApriI 1st. Don't worry about it; we know what you meant. :classic:

I think that the bad word changey do-hicky is an january jerks wiener! :hmpf_bad:

Cheers

Rog

For a site that is so strict about the quality of posts and the standards of English and contributions I think it's very poor that the filter is abused by those who control it. It has it's uses but one of those uses should not be to change legitimate statements and posts into jibberish.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

I hope this is good news. I can see quite a lot of good coming out of this. E.G: more parts available in both LDD and LDraw. :classic: Although, I can also see a lot of bad possibly coming out of this. E.G: programs such as SR 3D Builder, MLCad, etc, no longer being able to use the LDraw system. :angry: That would really suck unless they seriously improve LDD. I suppose we can only wait and see. :look:

See, this is First Day of the Fourth Month Humor that makes sense and is humorous and believable. Someone could learn a lesson from these guys. :innocent:

I hope this is good news. I can see quite a lot of good coming out of this. E.G: more parts available in both LDD and LDraw. :classic: Although, I can also see a lot of bad possibly coming out of this. E.G: programs such as SR 3D Builder, MLCad, etc, no longer being able to use the LDraw system. :angry: That would really suck unless they seriously improve LDD. I suppose we can only wait and see. :look:

Darn! I thought I posted this after midnight! But I suppose, midnight is at different times in different places of the world. :wall::facepalm: