Sign in to follow this  
CorneliusMurdock

REVIEW: 6865 Captain America's Avenging Cycle

90 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Awesome- Me and the Cap'n make it happen!
    • Above Average- Avenger Cycle go VREEE!
    • Average- Follows a Star-Spangled plan.
    • Poor- What is that glider thing anyway?

My Marvel sets arrived this morning! I got this one, the Wolverine set and the Hulk set. I'm going to open one a day since they represent almost a third of my Lego budget for the year. So the other two reviews to come soon!

First, I'd like to apologize for the quality of my pics. I'm not a great photographer and it's a gloomy, overcast day in Ohio.

Second, Captain America is my second favorite Avenger so this set was a must have for me. Let's see if it's worth it.

Price: 12.99 USD

Parts: 72

Minifigs: Captain America, Alien General, Alien Soldier

6886537912_daa8fb2d42_c.jpg

Front of Box.

6886538508_f8186ec570.jpg

Back of Box. VREEE! I don't remember if the DC sets had sound effect words on the back of the box but all three of the Marvel ones I got do. They all emphasize the play functions.

7032635547_0054d130ba_c.jpg

Contents. Manual and sticker sheet shown later.

6886540600_d490d29df5.jpg

DSS. It's all right but I can never get them aligned correctly, so I almost never apply stickers. So they're staying on the sheet for now.

6886540904_95ee7eff37_c.jpg

Larger Bag

6886541256_015dc978e2_c.jpg

Smaller Bag. I've never seen those blade things before.

7032638149_95792203ec.jpg

CLICK! Man, this set's full of action!

6886542430_03f451b466_c.jpg

Parts List

7032640207_d27a1f23b0_c.jpg

Avenger Cycle. Notice the clip on the back?

6886544208_ce5464755a.jpg

That's where Cap's shield goes although the manual never tells you that. They seem to think Cap's safer driving one handed and carrying the shield. I think he looks cooler like this.

7032641665_c4a9585b6b_c.jpg

Alien Missile Launcher. Nothing much to write home about. Some good parts in good colors but not many.

7032643933_8384345b5b_c.jpg

Alien Glider Thing - It does look slightly better in person. Might be nicer with stickers, too, but that isn't going to happen.

EXTRA PIECES: Just two cheese slopes, one trans clear and one trans blue. Not worth taking a picture of.

6886547766_441131f36e.jpg

6886548076_f0c8ae94e0.jpg

Captain America Himself. Worth the price of admission right there.

6886548496_5617773dae.jpg

6886548992_a1fa6eaeac.jpg

The Aliens. I assume the one on the left in the first pic is the general since he has the glider. The manual and box don't really say. Not a huge fan of them. Maybe I'll like them better after seeing the movie. Right now I have no frame of reference as to how accurate they are.

Final Thoughts:

I like this set. After seeing all the preview pictures, I didn't like a lot about it but I still had to get it for Cap. In person, though, the set itself looks much better. The Cycle is growing on me. The glider looks decent and has some swooshability. I think the set is worth what I paid. Still not excited about the Aliens but, hey, every hero needs some villains to fight. 8/10

Even more pictures here!

Wonderful review! Cap is definitely one of the best designed figs of the line, and is the big reason to get the set. If only I got to Walmart.com in time... :hmpf_bad: Great Review! :thumbup:

Excellent review, CorneliusMurdock! :sweet:

The figures in this set are well detailed, and the Avenging Cycle has a nice color to it. I also like the gold pieces in this set.

Nice review, I think that Captain America is a gorgeous figure. The alien figures are.. interesting. And the set itself looks ok.

Still worth getting.

Thanks for the review, CorneliusMurdock! I'm excited to see the other two reviews!

For me, this set is only average. While I like Captain America and his nicely printed shield, I'm not a fan of the aliens or their glider/missile launcher; to be honest, they look horrible (I don't care how movie-accurate they are). In the end, this set is still worth the purchase, as long as Captain America stays exclusive to this set.

Thanks for this review. I've thought of getting this set, the figures don't impress me too much and I can't think of a whole lot of uses for those pieces. Anyway, looking forward to your two other reviews! :sweet:

Yes! An Avengers review! Cap is a brilliantly designed fig. I'm not so sure about the Aliens, but I'm glad to finally get a standard head in Pearl Gold. Good review!

Nice review 'CorneliusMurdock', I voted AWESOME....for one reason....Captain America himself and his shield ! :excited:

The aliens look interesting.....a licensed space theme that isn't SW for a change. :wink:

More flick fires....do they actually get used during play ? :wink:

I shall look forward the Oz release of this and the other Marvel sets.....must wait... :blush:

Thanks for the Review CM! I can't wait to get this set! Although I too admit it is only for Cap and the Cycle. The "aliens" don't make much sense to me.

Nice Review! :thumbup:

The best part is Captain America and his cycle for sure. Such a nice fig. :wub:

As for the rest, meh.

Overall though I would rate this set as average.

Nice review.

You definitely convinced me to get this. Some great bits in this one!

Ooh my! That shield alone is to die for! :drool: of course, Cap is cool too. Aliens have a cool print, don't know who they're supposed to be either...

An average set, to my mind. Perhaps, it's DC fan speaking in me, but the set looks rather plain. Captain America is the only thing that attracts here, but not too much. The aliens look rather ugly to my taste. I'd get the set for the figs, but that's it. :hmpf_bad:

The review was great, however! And thanks for sharing it! :sweet:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

bough this set yesterday and built it - i love this set! Its cheap and simple but has the charm of an old school marvel comic and is also a good army builder for the aliens! The cap minifig rules - a must buy for any Marvel fan!

I watched the captain america cartoon when I was younger and so I am naturally drawn to this set. Looks a little light though for the cost. In saying that there will be reductions at some point.

Does anyone know what plastic the minifigures in this set are made of? Because if Cap and the two aliens are Chinese, I'm not happy. :sceptic:

Does anyone know what plastic the minifigures in this set are made of? Because if Cap and the two aliens are Chinese, I'm not happy. :sceptic:

I think we can persume they will be made of whatever plastic was used in the catwoman set as they are the same priced set from the same theme.

Hang around Brickset much? The minifigures in both my Loki Cosmic Cube and Wolverine sets appear to not be of chinese origin. However Lokis,Iron mans,Magnetos helmet all came in separate plastic bags.

The chinese parts argument is so very old, funnily enough brickset withdrew that false/jesting story quickish this morning,especially after Nabii gave them short shrift :laugh:

Edited by surrideo

What a lovely little set. Cap, is the only reason to get this set, he does need a gun though. I'm really wishing I had gotten one of these when they where available from Walmart, oh well, I'll get it when it comes out!

I like this set, mostly for the minifigs. Since it's cheap, I'll probably pick it up. Thanks for the nice and early review. :classic:

Thanks for this review, CorneliusMurdock.

I was not really sold on this set at the beginning, being it quite simple and all, but it is growing on me now I see better pics of it.

Because if Cap and the two aliens are Chinese, I'm not happy. :sceptic:

I really wish people would phrase this differently. :sad:

Note to outsiders: We are referring to the location of the manufacture of the pieces, not the ethnicity of the characters.

(Although actually, if Captain America was ever portrayed as someone of Chinese descent, that would be a great step forward for multiculturalism. Think about it, Marvel)