Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

Castle in Mitgardia

Sir Glorfindel's castle/home. I realized I haven't done much to show off my character, so building his home seemed like a good idea.

There is no snow because spring just melted it all away :tongue: Actually I'm going to need the pieces I use for snow for the 3rd challenge.

Which I can start work on now :classic:

All the doors open, and every room is accesible.

There are stairs or a ladder to every room as well. This is the first castle I have actually completed, and my first time doing a diagonal wall/building.

In hindsight, it might have been better to make the floor plan a little larger. But it works pretty well.

So here are some pics:

6884304054_8479b7c37f.jpg

7030406491_a0f04428e7.jpg

6884305690_b541a97653.jpg

7030424011_ed07d6da15.jpg

7030411475_254f19b78c.jpg

Any comments or criticism welcome! Thanks for looking :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

I like your minifigs. I dont know why, but they look great and well thought of.

Also the window work is original and its always nice if a building is in a different angle. Cool you have made an interior as well.

Very nice castle! I have a faible for predominantly white castles and I really like the grey patches. And I find it very cool that you the castle can be opened by hinges. :thumbup:

Two mini-suggestions:

1) I really liked your teaser photo you also put in the thread for the archery tournament. For example, there one could better see the nice windows. The pictures you show here are all from an overview perspective...

2) In the open castle (last picture), in my opinion there should be a little bit more space in the rooms on the right hand side to increase playability (2 studs deep does not allow much)

All in all very good! Keep on going (although you chose the wrong guild... :tongue: )

@Christoph:

1) There are lots more pictures if you go to the link I provided, you can find some close up shots there.

2) Yeah, it does make things a little cramped. In the future I will either put the whole room on one side, or split it more evenly.

I forgot to mention that the main inspiration for my build is this castle by 2 Much Caffeine: 6448235145_659c037175.jpg

I was aiming for a small castle that still had interiors, it came out a little bigger than expected :laugh:

Edited by soccerkid6

I really like the play set feature of opening and closing, should have been done much more. It's also good to see more white in a castle. :thumbup:

Even if you didn't think of it first, it's still nicely executed way of opening up your castle and showing the fun insides.

I particularly like the bley clips you used.

Thanks guys :classic: I always include interiors, and usually have my buildings hinge open. Mostly because I like to play with them now and again :laugh:

2 Much Caffeine's work really showed me that a castle doesn't have to be huge.

Great work! :classic: There is a lot to like about this; the stonework at the windows, the angle of the gatehouse and ofcourse the playability.

And about the lack of snow. In the winter it will be camouflaged, so I think it will be a great hideout than. :wink:

Yeah :laugh: No one can find us now :wink:

My build for Challenge 3 is coming along nicely :classic: I've had a decent amount of time to work on it, and will do some more this afternoon.

Edited by soccerkid6

well soccerkid, you are truly evolving!! Lot's of good stuff to be seen. I especially like your job on the windows. Well done Sir!!

Thanks, I am really trying to improve with every build.

So hearing that is very encouraging. The windows were probably

the funnest part to build. No one has commented on a few of my

favorite parts. Anyone have a guess as to what they are?

They are three things in particular. A big thanks to everyone who

commented :classic:

Edit:This got frontpaged over at Toys N Bricks *huh* :My link

You just have to scroll down a little

Edited by soccerkid6

Lovely little castle, very compact but still complete. :thumbup: Was it a deliberate descision to include the discoloured white bricks? They look very good next to the whiter areas, giving the walls a nice aged appearence. I love the hinges and cutaway view of the interior too, it really brings the castle to life. :classic: I don't know what your favourite parts are, but mine are the off-square gatehouse, the many different windows and the cute kitchen on the ground floor. Nice work!

@gabe: Yes and no, I didn't really have a choice, but I was trying to break up the monotony as much as possible.

I actually designed this castle around the gatehouse, I was really happy with the way the windows came out, and the kitchen.

But the 3 things I referred to were: the door to the keep (this took me quite a few tries to get the way I wanted it), the well (even has a bucket in it), and the bush on the left front side of the castle. :classic:

I'm really impressed with this build. White is not a colour I would associate with Castles but you have detailed the windows and walls well with the bley. The angled front adds a nice dimension to the whole creation, drawing you in through the front gate. As far as improvements, the lime vents don't really add much, some lime 1x1 rounds would look better, some tiles on the top of the walls, or even cheese. Good job, and I think your building will come along greatly with more MOCs.

Using 2muchcaffiene's build is indeed nice inspiration. :thumbup:

Ah, good point about the lime vent, not sure what I was thinking :wacko: If I am reading this correctly, you think I should put tiles or cheese slopes on top of the crenelations? That probably would look better, but I don't have the pieces to do that at this time; I might be able to add some in the future though. I think this is going to stay together a while, seeing as it is my character's home.

Thanks for the comment :classic: