I thought I would share something I have been working on for a few weeks now (in spare time). It's a 12x12 truck, with independent wheel suspension, all wheel drive, 2 front and 2 back steering wheel axels. Fully remote controlled. Still heaps of work to be done though.

The truck I have using as inspiration is...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5409067

lddscreenshot7i.png

lddscreenshot8x.png

Looks good so far! It looks like you're using Lego Digital Designer (LDD). Are you going to make your GINAF dump truck model with a bed that raises up?

p2.jpgp1.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Thanks guys and yes it will have a raising tipper. I would have liked to use SR 3D Builder, but I just cannot get use the controls of it so LDD it is.

A few specifications so far...

Parts: 2357

Length: 90cm

Here's an update of my work on the 12x12 truck. Still have a fair bit of work to do, however it's coming together nicely. The hardest part will be designing how the tipper attaches to the linear actuators, might be something I will have to work out in real life when I get around to building it.

The whole way along this project I have been designing it in modules. This is so I can build it easily, and also once I'v built it, i'll release the building guide.

Pieces: 3202 - (probably 4500 by the end)

Motors:

6x XL PF Motors for driving, 1 per axle/wheel line.

2x M PF Motors for raising the tipper, 1 per linear actuator.

1x M PF Motor for steering.

3x Battery Boxes (not yet shown in model).

This is should be a nice model to go with my massive model team style truck. I did want to put a 5571 Black Cat in with them to show a size comparison but LDD couldn't handle it and shut down straight away.

lddscreenshot9.png

lddscreenshot10.png

lddscreenshot11.png

Thanks mate, it's almost done now. Should have finished version 1 pictures up this weekend.

You know your model is massive when you tell LDD to rotate something and it crashes.

Cab fixed, made it taller. Looks much better.

Pieces - 4192

Also I hope 6x XL PF motors geared down to (3:1) will be enough power. Once i'v finished it i'll go through the model and try and make it a bit lighter.

lddscreenshot13.png

Much better. i would think that 6 xls would be powerful enough. You will probably need at least 3 battery packs.

tim

Two things I'd like to add, it's taking a fair bit of time for this project as I'm making it modular. So it will be easy to build. That is something I wish I had done with my other truck MOCs. Also this my 1st real Technic MOC, only ever made a few Lego ones before hand.

Much better. i would think that 6 xls would be powerful enough. You will probably need at least 3 battery packs.

tim

Thanks, i'll have the 3 battery boxes sitting behind the cab.

Thats more like it it looks far better now. :thumbup:

Thanks

I need some help with ideas on how to make the tipper raise. Using the linear actuators I can only make it raise up around 15 degrees (at best). Looking at the pictures of the real truck it looks more like 60 degrees+++. Anyone know how to make a working lego version of how the real truck's tipper raises?

Thanks for any ideas.

Decided to change it from a tipper truck to a having a combination of a crane and a tipper. At the front behind the cab I'll add a crane, behind that i'll have a tipper tray. I think that will make it more interesting.

Edited by dandexter

That's one BIG project! I like the design and the color scheme except for maybe the red bits. The tipper might look nice with some blue trim on it a la 8052 to tie it back to the rest of the model better. Looks like you're having fun with it! :thumbup:

In my previous post I forgot to outline it's functions.

All 12 wheels drive

Front 4 and back 4 wheels steer

Independent wheel suspension

Fully operating excavator attachment, same movements as the 8043 set (minus driving)

Tipper tray raises and lowers

6x XL PF motors for driving geared down 3:1

1x M PF motor for steering geared down

2x M PF motors for raising/lowering the tipper

1x XL PL motor for operating the excavator

I'll keep working on the design for a good few months now. I don't have near enough money to buy the parts for this model now, as I just brought the parts I need for my other MOC truck.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67300

That's one BIG project! I like the design and the color scheme except for maybe the red bits. The tipper might look nice with some blue trim on it a la 8052 to tie it back to the rest of the model better. Looks like you're having fun with it! :thumbup:

Thanks, good idea with the blue trim along the tipper. It looks much better.

Wow the excavator is an interesting addition. Nice design.

tim

Thanks, in the end I thought I would make something a bit different then the normal trucks.

I'v finished version 1.

Design Time: Appropriately 60 hours

Pieces: 5,559

Length: 93cm

Why is the scale off the excavator differend than the truck?

The excavator is only meant to be a small/medium one, similar to the one below.

http://www.gravelguy.ca/images/medium%20excavator.JPG

However yes your right some of it isn't to scale. I'll keep working it, its only my first version/attempt right now.

What i mean that de seats off both cabines must be at same scale :wink:

Greets Edwin