Darkblane

Architecture Contest:Tower Bridge

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Tower Bridge

Landmark Series

Tower Bridge is one of the most iconic buildings in London and the United Kingdom.

Whilst LEGO have already produced an official Tower Bridge set, it was designed at a much larger scale than their Architecture sets and therefore takes up a lot more room. Not everyone has room for the offical set, so I thought I'd create a smaller microscale / architecture scale version.

Like the official LEGO set, this isn't the full bridge as there's another section of road at either end which connects the bridge to either side of the river. If these were included, the overall length of the set would be doubled and other than a repetition of the blue and white railings and two more stone arches, these sections wouldn't actually add that much to the overall model.

6863216376_ff30ecfd82_z.jpg

7009330267_fa5103eb40_z.jpg

7009329531_76360200d1_z.jpg

6863215132_26b5db953e_z.jpg

Maybe not the best photo of the real bridge, but this is one I took in 2009:

7009361169_17c003da28_z.jpg

There are more photos on Flickr: Tower Bridge

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

This is great. Very reminiscent of 10230 Mini Modulars. You did a nice job of shrinking down the Tower Bridge.

As far as I understood it is the working model of the Tower Bridge? I mean the Bridge can be raised and lowered. I like the nice small details as windows and vehicles!

As far as I understood it is the working model of the Tower Bridge? I mean the Bridge can be raised and lowered.

Yes, the middle sections of road are connected to the towers via hinge plates at 90 degrees (which is why the distance between the two towers isn't a nice simple whole number of studs). The model with the road lowered can be seen here.

That's a great design of Tower Bridge in microscale. It looks fantastic with all the details, and fits with the Architecture series perfectly. Ski poles look great on the roof, and I wouldn't mind having a micro-scale one next to the official LEGO Tower Bridge. Well done! :thumbup:

Very impressive entry, Darkblane. Everything seems to flow nicely, especially for a design that could've easily been done not as well. I like how the bridge actually raises/lowers, and also the little mini vehicles.

I would suggest that the blues in your model be changes to medium blue for accuracy, but in this case I think the regular blue gives a more regal look.

I would suggest that the blues in your model be changes to medium blue for accuracy ...

The only problem with using medium blue is the lack of certain parts like the plates with clips / hinges (for example Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Clip Horizontal on End) which are needed on the railings.

Also for accuracy, I don't think the River Thames has ever actually been quite so blue :)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Tower Bridge

Landmark Series

Tower Bridge is one of the most iconic buildings in London and the United Kingdom.

Whilst LEGO have already produced an official Tower Bridge set, it was designed at a much larger scale than their Architecture sets and therefore takes up a lot more room. Not everyone has room for the offical set, so I thought I'd create a smaller microscale / architecture scale version.

Like the official LEGO set, this isn't the full bridge as there's another section of road at either end which connects the bridge to either side of the river. If these were included, the overall length of the set would be doubled and other than a repetition of the blue and white railings and two more stone arches, these sections wouldn't actually add that much to the overall model.

6863216376_ff30ecfd82_z.jpg

7009330267_fa5103eb40_z.jpg

7009329531_76360200d1_z.jpg

6863215132_26b5db953e_z.jpg

Maybe not the best photo of the real bridge, but this is one I took in 2009:

7009361169_17c003da28_z.jpg

There are more photos on Flickr: Tower Bridge

That is a really good model! You can count me in for a vote!! :thumbup: