Here is my entry for the TSATS contest

It is an NXT powered trimaran. it is driven by two nxt motors connected with gearing to the propellers. is is controlled from an app on my andriod phone. the catermaran hulls have 5grams of lead shot in the front of them while the main hull has two of the old lego weigths and the front. the colour sensor is used to give me an indication of wether the nxt is on or not

7008454685_b5065123b8_z.jpg

7008432071_76117f2dab_z.jpg

6862321502_02cf29558f_z.jpg

6862327456_553c930948_z.jpg

This totally rocks but breaks the contest rules. Lead shot, cling-film, or anything that is not Lego will be "weeded-out".

I ditched the cling film but the lead shot, I asked Siegfried and he said since it could not be seen and is not a major part of the build it is suitable. I am hoping to get it out on the water tommorow depending on the weather if it is sunny I will be taking it out on the reservoir and will take a video of it

edit: I just realised that I took out the lead to glue it together this morning so the vessel in the pics has only lego apart from the kitchen towel to aid with water and to act as a damper, however when I take it out on the water it will have the weights in it

Edited by danim

I am hoping to get it out on the water tommorow

Personally i would not put that in the water..... reason been is that your NXT motors are going to be submerged in the water at the orange end of them, they are not water proof and the water will travel up the gears inside during rotation and will get to the motors, even if that does not kill them then any dirt that dries inside afterwards will slowy destroy them... just my opinion, it would have been wrong of me not to have mentioned it as i would hete to see you ruin your NXT motors.

I have had the vessel in the water and it seems to be ok, If I do have any issues with the motors I will just replace them as it works so well in the bath

Edited by danim

I ditched the cling film but the lead shot, I asked Siegfried and he said since it could not be seen and is not a major part of the build it is suitable. I am hoping to get it out on the water tommorow depending on the weather if it is sunny I will be taking it out on the reservoir and will take a video of it

edit: I just realised that I took out the lead to glue it together this morning so the vessel in the pics has only lego apart from the kitchen towel to aid with water and to act as a damper, however when I take it out on the water it will have the weights in it

good job!

but ... 5 grams of lead shot "is not a major part of the build it is suitable"!?!

I suppose if you take away that you would find yourself in this situation

0008.gif

I have also worked on this for my ship, and i resolved only with Lego pieces

I do not want to create controversy and disagreements, but I think we need to clarify the rules: "Lego parts only" or "not lego pieces must be hidden" ?

If is possible to hide parts not Lego I have a pair of solution for my moc :tongue:

We await a response from Siegfried :wink:

I think you can change your MOC avoiding ballast not Lego, but moving motors toward the center of the ship engines

Edited by Zaiocrit

yes you are right about the sinking but it would happen very slowly, unfortunately due to the design of the motors I cannot move them forward as the props would then hit off of the hulls. For a lego weight in the hulls I tried but none of the peices I had would fit and ones that did fit would not provide enough weight to keep the hulls down

Well, I asked once about "how can one be sure it's all Legos if one can't take a look into it" thing, but I felt I was laughed at...

I think that it is not necessary that a creation technic has to operate at 100%, in this case that floats ... Lego itself is so

but if you want to succeed, you must do so by the rules .. is a challenge to 360 ° :sweet: (for example, I have not even wanted to use pieces "prefabs" only bricks and bricks)

probably I would not have posed the problem, but you yourself said it, and probably someone more experienced than me you would have asked for clarification

Obviously we need to trust the creations of others, but it is also right to ask for clarification and to ensure that people follow the Rules

this is just my thoughts, and not for me to make judgments :laugh:

We await a response from Siegfried :wink:

Well first of all, I'll post here what I told danim;

Hi

I am currently working on a nxt lego controlled boat but there are a couple of things that I have added to help with the floating which are 5grams of lead shot in each of the hulls, hot melt to seal up the hulls and some cling film to cover the nxt to keep it watertight. Also I am using an android app to control the vessel so would I still be eligible to take part in the contest

Many Thanks

Daniel

Weights; OK

Sealant; Without seeing it, probably barely OK but don't expect points for it being a floating model!

Android; OK

He's misinterpreted me on the "seeing" part. I meant that since I haven't seen the model I can't say for sure, not that if it can't be see it's OK. :laugh: As for the lead weight I do think it's OK. To be honest I was in a hurry when I replied to that post and I probably should have said "OK, but a solution without it would be better". I myself have a collection of lead weights for MOCing purposes (especially with cranes) so that's why I was a bit more positive that I probably should have been. :blush: Also, the functions don't rely on the weights as such so I think this is different to, for example, using metal part reinforcement.

Do remember that any assistance such as this will probably be penalised by the pre-vote so to increase your chances I do recommend not using anything non-LEGO.

I have had the vessel in the water and it seems to be ok, If I do have any issues with the motors I will just replace them as it works so well in the bath

RIP motors. :cry_sad:

here is a few videos of Tri-Speeder in the water, also for the videos I decided to remove the weights so the videos you see are the Tri-Speeder built just out of lego

sorry mods but cant find out how to add the youtube box for my videos

Edited by danim

Here are the first two of danim's YouTube videos (only two per post allowed):

thanks for that, I could not work out how to get them posted. could you tell me how you posted them so I can add the 3rd video

About the videos, 1 and 2 were shot by me while standing in the water with my mate Grant controlling the Tri-Speeder from the bank which is why you can here me shouting directions to him. with the 3rd video he had control of the camera while I was in the water controlling the vessel

Here is danim's

:

@ danim: Here is how to put your YouTube videos directly into a Eurobricks post:

(1) Copy the original URL of your third YouTube video, which is (in this case)

(2) Paste that URL into your favorite web browser.

(3) Once your video opens in your web browser, copy the new URL in the address box. In this case, it is as follows (note that I removed the http:// to enable you to see the entire string; you will not remove the http:// when doing this for real): www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2oqCqNnlWk&feature=youtu.be

(4) Strip-off everything after the ampersand (&) character, so that it now looks like this (again, with the http:// removed for this instruction only; keep the http:// when doing this for real): www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2oqCqNnlWk

(5) Copy that new, shortened URL into the "Insert Media" button (6 buttons to the right of the "smiley face" emoticon symbol, which you see when you do a new post). Press the "Insert Media" confirmation button, and you should now see your video picture on the Eurobricks computer screen! :classic:

Edited by DLuders

ah now I see what I done wrong

what do you guys think of the videos

@ efferman

it is not meant to be fast, every boat I design for luxury I call it a Speeder because I like the name

@ zaiocrit

I use NXT-Remote which allows me to create independent screens because the props that I use only point one way so I had to control with reversed controls such as to go forward I had to put motor B full forward and motor C full reverse

The NXT does not use WiFi but it does have a Bluetooth antenna

@ zaiocrit

I use NXT-Remote which allows me to create independent screens because the props that I use only point one way so I had to control with reversed controls such as to go forward I had to put motor B full forward and motor C full reverse

The NXT does not use WiFi but it does have a Bluetooth antenna

but you've got to try MINDroid ?

link 1

link 2

I have tried Minddroid but felt there are better ones avalible