Sign in to follow this  
Cristian I.

Re-released Black Seas Barracuda

Hello everyone! This is my first post here so please apologise if I'm writing in the wrong place or if my post is in breach of any forum rules. I've been a Lego fan since I was 4 and the Pirates series was without a doubt my favourite. Sadly, the larger sets from these series were very expensive and hard to find in my homecountry, so I could never own one.

However, in the last years I have discovered the advantages of shopping on eBay, and by reading this forum I have also discovered BrickLink. I have decided to allocate some of my spare time on building the sets I have always dreamed of having. I've always wanted to have one of the large ships, so the BSB was clearly a must have.

Now to jump to the subject, I am trying to build the BSB 10040 (in as new condition). I have managed to collect most of the bricks, with the exception of the middle hull sections and the masts. I have especially mentioned the 10040 set because I want to have the bricks as they were in the re-release. For instance: different wedge plate on the bow, new type of minifig torsos and heads, plates with thick clips.

My first question is regarding the masts. I believe that the 10040 had middle mast sections with bottom connector prong, but could anyone confirm this? Also, could anyone tell me if the top sections of the masts had bottom nubs? I can't find this information anywhere and I can't figure out from the online instructions/pictures.

Secondly, could anyone confirm if the middle hull sections had 9 holes? I think that the 6285 had only 8 (the 9th in the middle being covered).

Lastly, I am very confused about the 50cm string used for the crane. In a set I bought from eBay for spares, the string was made from nylon and was what I would call of medium thickness (sadly it was partly painted and needs repacement). It was about the same thickness as the type of string with end studs. However, it is impossible for me to find this string on BrickLink. The thin string (x77a) is actually too thin and seems to be made of something different from nylon (cotton maybe?). The medium thickness one (x77c) seems to be as thick as the one used for rigging (I haven't bought a sample though). The thick string (x77b) seems to be far too thick. I've tried to use Peeron and Bricklink inventories to find the required type, but it is impossible. Again, the thin one is too thin and I am pretty sure that Lego has made string of a thickness in between x77a and x77c, and made of Nylon. As I've mentioned, I think it should be as thick as the ones with end studs. Could anyone please tell me how can I find the required string?

That's all, sorry for this long topic. I'll try to keep them shorter from now on. Thank you very much! :)

Edited by Cristian I.

Considering the masts the only difference between the first and re-release I know of are the small pins on the top masts, I don't know anything about different middle masts (and I do have masts from different releases).

Thank you very much! So the newer release had the small pins on the top masts or the older? Regarding the middle masts, they are the same in the sense that they both have bottom connectors or they both lack them? Thanks again!

Yes, the hull pieces have all 9 holes. I'm a little confused about what you're trying to ask on the masts though- what do you mean by "nubs" and "bottom connector prongs?" The parts that vertically overlap to connect the mast pieces to each other, or the horizontal parts to which the spars connect? In any case, the bottom mast piece has no spar connectors, the middle has two (on opposite ends), and the top has two, both near the top. Hope that helps, and here's a picture.

My string is long gone, so I can't help you there. Good luck with the project. :pir-classic:

Thank you very much! So the newer release had the small pins on the top masts or the older? Regarding the middle masts, they are the same in the sense that they both have bottom connectors or they both lack them? Thanks again!

The newer one has the pins, like this picture (small pins near the bottom):

2538b.jpg?0

I looked into the middle masts and I noticed I so have different middle masts, my newer ones have a Bottom Connector Prong

I can't say for sure that this is the case for the re-release BSB though, it would make sense if it has the newer ones as well.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Thank you Skipper! I hope I have used the terms right, because to be honest I have only deduced what they mean. I think that the bottom connector prong of the middle mast is a small cylinder concentric with the mast, which sticks out from the bottom. This allows the mast to be connected on a stud. I believe that the nubs on the top mast are two very small pins on the lower part, which would probably allow the mast to have a better connection with bottom sections.

Thank you very much Sebeus! I also believe that being a newer release, 10040 should have the prong on the middle sections.

Middle mast, bottom closest to camera. Sorry for the blurriness, I'm having camera problems. As you can see the bottom has the "nub" while the top just has a squarish hole.

middlemast.jpg

Edited by Skipper

Thank you very much Skipper! So indeed the middle section has the bottom connector. Luckily, I have one like this so I only need another one :)

This topic just makes me think about how much I miss the old masts. They were so much better. This is a very cool project you are working on, I would have never thought about building a BSB to exact specifications of the re-release - I never realized there were so many subtle differences. But I only have the old ones.

This topic just makes me think about how much I miss the old masts. They were so much better. This is a very cool project you are working on, I would have never thought about building a BSB to exact specifications of the re-release - I never realized there were so many subtle differences. But I only have the old ones.

I agree with you, I also miss old pieces in general. The masts were much better looking and more realistic than the new ones. I also wish that Lego never changed colour shades. It is so difficult to find particular oldgray or oldbrown pieces at decent prices.

I was also surprised by the differences between the new and old BSB. While I wanted to have the set exactly as it was out of the box, it might not have been worth the effort of keeping the exact specs. However, I already had many of the bricks as they were in the re-release, so I thought I should give it a try.

I forgot to ask something. Is there anything printed on the sails of the re-release? Like "Lego" or "Lego Group"?

Does anyone know whether there are differences between the original 6285 and the re-released 10040? I.e., if you had the two next to each other, could you tell the difference? If so, what are the differences? I have a similar question for the Fort Legoredo re-release.

Does anyone know whether there are differences between the original 6285 and the re-released 10040? I.e., if you had the two next to each other, could you tell the difference? If so, what are the differences? I have a similar question for the Fort Legoredo re-release.

Hi marshall, this is a thread I've opened some time ago, with the same topic (only for BSB). http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66749

You might find it useful. The differences are too subtle to be noticed: I think the 10040 has "LEGO" printed on the triangular sail (but I might be wrong), the top masts have bottom nubs, the black hose holding the basket for the treasure chest has tabs, the pirates with blue-white torsos have black belt buckles instead of gold, all the minifigs have rounded heads (the older one might have a few squareish heads depending on the production year), the yellow wedge plate on the bow has 3x4 cutout..... I think these are all the differences that could be noticed when the ships are built.

Edited by Cristian I.

What a coincidence, I rebuilt my Legoredo (the original one) a few days ago :pir_laugh2:

I don't know anything about the re-release (I guess that didn't happen in Belgium) but if you do have questions about the original one I can certainly help you :pir-classic:

(but better not do that in the pirateforum as it's not a pirate set, send me a message)

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

I forgot to mention the plates with clips. These have thick clips rather than thin. Also, the middle hull sections have 9 holes rather than 8 on 10040, but I didn't mention this because I am not sure it is visible. Peeron shows some of the differences but not all of them. Nor does bricklink.

Ok, it sounds like they're pretty much the same--at least for my purposes. I had the BSB when I was a kid, but I don't think I paid close enough attention to those details to notice those differences. Thanks!

Hi marshall, this is a thread I've opened some time ago, with the same topic (only for BSB). http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66749

You might find it useful.

Thanks for the link Cristian, I merged them.