Sign in to follow this  
SearchFunction

MOC: 5 LDD 6w car designs

Hello there

I set out to try and make a closed 2-seater with doors. I finally came up with a design I like. As always, I couldn´t help making variations, so it came to be 5 in all. Link to the LDD file is at the bottom of this post.

I have not built these for real, but I have done my best to design them so that they actually work and are stable. Also the colors used should be availible for all parts. I apologize if there should be a slip-up in there.

I present these as a set of ideas for anyone interested in making cars in this scale to be used freely. Perhaps they can inspire to some designs of your own, or give you some ideas.

First an overview picture of the 5 models:

5-cars-overview.jpg

This red car was the first I made. The cabin is built as 5 wide, transforming into 6 wide around it. This means a sparse interior design as I wanted to make it as solid as possible. It does however provide for minifigs to be placed as low as possible in the car.

The blue car is a convertible version of the coupe design. It uses a 6 wide design all way through, real doors and has the standard edition dashboard design I like to use (you can see it up close in the white car). Due to it beeing a convertible, I allowed myself to raise the seating 1/3 brick (used in all the convertibles). This make it much easier to build a stable bottom. It also allows for 2 figs to be seated next to each other, provided you arrange their arms in the same way as in the LDD file. This I HAVE tested in real bricks, and there is a bit of wiggle room so you do not have to cram them in there.

It was rather diffecult to come up with a caleche design I liked but I think it strikes a nice middle ground. Also headrests!

Obviously, I had to try a beefed up police interceptor version. Supercharged with a spoiler in the back and upgraded exhaust system.

I like the interior in this one. I could not find any printed tile that shows a monitor for the computer and the 2w cheese pieces also do not come with a dashboard print, but perhaps you can make your own if you really feel like it. These are cops after all, so I figured the cup would do as 1 part of the coffee & donut duo.

I had to also try some designs with the slightly smaller wheels. It came out to be 2 versions.

The orange car is a sporty open car with the same removeable roof design as a Ferrari 308 or a Pontiac Trans-Am. I like the seats in this design.

This white car is a more relaxed cruiser type. The grilles on the front bumper unfortunately do not come in light bluish grey, but perhaps they will someday. The design reminds my slightly of a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville.

Feel free to have a look at the LDD file here - , and let me know if these designs works. - Updated 9 may 2012

I myself have very few lego pieces so I would have to get the needed parts exclusively through bricklink. I´m also on a limited budget so I will probably wait until I have some of my other designs ready and evaluate what I can afford to get at a later date.

I love designing through.

Edited by SearchFunction
Oversized image converted in text link (maximum size allowed is 800x600).

Hi SearchFunction, welcome in the LDD forum.

Compliments for your good work and thanks for sharing it.

A little suggestion:

It seems that the image hosting you used is very slow and the file hosting you used for sharing the lxf file makes download the file very uncomfortable.

So, what do you think to use brickshelf for both images and lxf files? Brickshelf is a good free alternative and it allows to hotlink the files you upload there.

Hi SearchFunction, welcome in the LDD forum.

Compliments for your good work and thanks for sharing it.

A little suggestion:

It seems that the image hosting you used is very slow and the file hosting you used for sharing the lxf file makes download the file very uncomfortable.

So, what do you think to use brickshelf for both images and lxf files? Brickshelf is a good free alternative and it allows to hotlink the files you upload there.

Yeah sorry for that. I was in a bit of a hurry and imageshack which I usually use requires user registration now, so had to find something else.

I made a brickshelf account a while ago but it didnt seem to get aproved. After checking it now, I see that it is actually there! I Shall work on moving them.

I was not aware lxf files could be uploaded to brickshelf as well. I shall explore it.

Glad you liked the file. I should do some color checks while I´m at it as well.

Nice set of cars, I always struggle with cars at this scale as I hate 4w cars but getting wider ones to fit in with 6w vans and trucks is a pain.

I'm going to see if I can tweak the interceptor to a more english colour scheme, I'll post what I do here

These are great. I too also struggle with making two seater cars, or any that actually look good like yours. :grin:

I really like the orange and tan car though. :classic:

Hi

Great looking cars. :thumbup:

To post in the Digital Designer forum we kindly ask people to also post the LXF-files. That way the models become more interesting for other LDD builders who can study techniques used etc.

@Superkalle

.lxf file is linked on the bottom part of the topic.

Perhaps it would be better if I highlight it! :tongue:

@Superkalle

.lxf file is linked on the bottom part of the topic.

Perhaps it would be better if I highlight it! :tongue:

Oh, my eyes are not what they used to be :laugh:

How about a hatchback version:

hatchback.jpg

Since I build without the intention of bricking, I haven't checked the colours, the only part that may not exist is the red rear windscreen.

I wanted to have a clear rear window but it didn't look right without a plate between it and the rear lights.

Based from SearchFunction's first design, with a bit of the others in there.

LXF here

Hello people!

I have recently been doing some minor changes to the constructions in these to make them buildable. They still look the same though. I shall reupload the lxf file.

I have a hatchback design done as well, it is just a 4 seater instead. I will be ordering the bricks for these sometime next week so I will get around to test them eventually.

Actually I have a whole line of cars in the pipeline, not posting them takes serious effort...but I really should test the designs first :classic: . I will upload some stuff to brickshelf tonight and once its been aproved, link to it in this thread.

EDIT: Link has been updated. I didnt realize my pictures where oversized. Anyway here is the red car design I was talking about.

rd4seatr03.jpg

It is in the Rd4seatr folder. Hope that can give you some ideas Hubert!

Edited by SearchFunction