Sign in to follow this  
RohanBeckett

Free Universal Construction Kit

http://fffff.at/free-universal-construction-kit/

Interesting Concept

Plans for those with 3D Printers, to be able to create 'connector pieces' that join Lego, with various other construction toys.

Not sure it's something I'll ever use, since I only own Lego, but something unique, nonetheless

http://media.fffff.at/free-universal-construction-kit/images/free-universal-construction-kit-poster.pdf

first Promo video on that page is very 'in your face' default_sceptic.gif

The 'ultimate connector' piece looks like something at the heart of a Katamari!! ;)

RB

"Producing physical prints from our provided 3D models prompts certain fabrication considerations. According to Wikipedia, the precision of Lego pieces is less than 10 microns. As of early 2012, however, standard Makerbot printers have an XY resolution of 100 microns (0.1mm) and a default layer thickness of 360 microns (0.36mm). We thus caution that fabrication of the Free Universal Construction Kit with current (2012-era) solutions for DIY stereolithography, such as the Makerbot, Printrbot or RepRap, may lack the precision required for reliable or satisfactory coupling with standard commercial pieces. A great deal depends on how well-tuned the printer is; thus, your mileage may vary. In any case, we expect this situation will improve gradually, but inexorably, in tandem with improvements to these vibrantly evolving fabrication platforms. The artist’s proof shown here was created in a UV-cured white resin using a commercial-grade Objet (“polyjet”) 3D printer, which has a horizontal resolution of 42 microns, and a layer thickness of 16 microns.Ponoko.com and other private fabrication services offer printing from Objet machines and other high-resolution devices."

Apart from that, I think within some years this will be a very large possibility for AFOLs.

Yes, very interesting. I was wondering about creating my own LEGO-compatible blocks after seeing these 3D printers in action at the MakerFaire last year. In discussions with the people who make the printers, two issues came up: 1) the resolution and tolerances, and 2) the softness of the plastic material used. They felt that in several years the resolution and accuracy would be close enough to LEGO that you wouldn't notice the difference in most cases, but that it's definitely noticeable right now. Likewise, the printers are getting better at handling a wider variety of materials. But they felt that the best applications for these printers in this area in the near future would be for custom bricks and pieces, things that TLG doesn't yet produce, as well as custom minifigs and animals.

But I would imagine that the possibility within ten years of printing your own near-LEGO-quality bricks has a few people at TLG very, very worried.

Am I the only one that thought the Free Universal Construction Kit would be poorly abbreviated?

:thumbup::laugh:

Yeah, that's very handy, except that 3d printers cost north of $1000 and ABS is $48 a kilo. As a fairly niche product, the prices may drop some once the technology has been around for a while, but how low will it go? I don't really see this becoming something every AFOL tucks away in the man-cave for whipping out a custom Lego set during halftime.

Perhaps not for sets, but for custom pieces to solve tricky building problems this would be quite handy! The entry cost, as several people have pointed out, would be a bit steep, though.

Also, why is everyone giggling and pointing at the awkward acronym? This is an adult forum, we can just outright say ****.

Dang it. :hmpf_bad: *

*This post was not (as far as I know) actually censored by the applesauce word filter. :laugh: To Hinckley: yes, it's time for more fun with it. :tongue:

Am I the only one that thought the Free Universal Construction Kit would be poorly abbreviated?

Oh man! I think a name change would be in order.

Booring. You don't need special parts, just a working brain!

Or was I the only one to create Sticklebrick-Lego-Duplo-Megablock-K'nex-Hotwheel track-Random plastic junk-Brio railway-wooden block cities in which Barbie and Playmobil person alike could live in peace and harmony(unless I wanted an action packed game)? That is until two footed armegeddon (in the form of my toddler brother) brought about its untimely end. (On many occasions).

Well, maybe if you don't abbreviate the word, "kit", it would be all right....... oh.......

Or was I the only one to create Sticklebrick-Lego-Duplo-Megablock-K'nex-Hotwheel track-Random plastic junk-Brio railway-wooden block cities in which Barbie and Playmobil person alike could live in peace and harmony(unless I wanted an action packed game)? That is until two footed armegeddon (in the form of my toddler brother) brought about its untimely end. (On many occasions).

Yes. :poke:

Huh,

I wonder why they consider Duplo and Lego to be seperate lines.

And K'nex does have parts that make it fully compatible with Lego.

For the rest you can use duct tape.

I know! Pretty surprising that you can make megabloks with only four words.... :laugh:

For the rest you can use duct tape.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Quoted for truth. :laugh::laugh::laugh: