Gabe

The grand entrance

Hi all! I'm back with another free build to show you. :classic:

sansaelresidence11eb_190312.jpg

This is the grand entrance to Lord Erudhalion Sansael's private residence in the port city of Berigora. The city is built on the sides of steep hills and cliffs that run down to the bay, so all the buildings are constructed very close to each other and are tall and often narrow. This is not the official palace where visiting lords and dignitaries are recieved, but a private house that has been in the Sansael family for many generations now. Here we can see Lord Sansael emerging to go about his offical duties, whilst a member of his household gaurd stands watch.

sansaelresidence2eb_190312.jpg

sansaelresidence1eb_190312.jpg

The build is this small because it was also entered into the MocAthalon under the "Vinigetted" catagory, which has a 16x16 restriction. The main body of the residence would, of course, be much larger.

sansaelresidence5eb_190312.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my small build - thanks for stopping by, peeps! :classic:

Edited by gabe

A beautiful facade to an even more stunning residence....I remember well the last time I was summoned to the Erudhalion residence. But we shall not speak of such things here :wink:

Very beautiful MOC! You can watch this picture for hours and still find new elements and details!

Great job and surely a beautiful that fits in your mighty city :thumbup:

Wow. Just..wow!

The idea of placing those cheese slopes makes me dizzy!

I love the unconventional shaping, and the charming details.

Lovely! Some really nice techniques with the arches, roof tiles, and especially the astrological arcanae! Love the mosaic! What are the yellow stars over the door? Somehow this makes me think of a Hollywood movie where there is one massive star in the lead role and a very good ensemble cast backing them up. Great job, I cannot believe how quickly you are building at this level!

:classic:

Very well done gabe! :thumbup:

Apart from the excellent building techniques, mosaics, minifigures and crisp presentation, you've also found an excellent color scheme that is exactly what I imagined Kaliphlin would look like! Well done! :wink:

Really awesome, Gabe! I think you've really nailed the Kaliphlin look here!

It's pretty much all fantastic, but the best parts for me are the amazing mosaic and that great arch over the doorway! The arch is the perfect shape, and the colors really make it stand out, and I think the white round bricks do a great job outlining it. And I've really got to get off my butt and try a mosaic sometime. I also really like the rows of gold 1x1 round plates set into the walls; a really nice detail touch there.

Did you try leaving the 1x6 plates off the ends the roofs to see what that looks like? Just leaving the ends of the round bricks exposed? Was wondering if that might look more realistic.

Any chance we'll see what the rest of the house looks like sometime?

I am really surprised by this construction, I really like it. :thumbup:

This is beautiful! I LOVE the cheese slope window in the top, and the curved 1x1 round/2x2 brick technique - they both look gorgeous! Then of course there are the great floor details, the front pillars, the ninja star technique. You've packed a ton into a small model, and a bunch of original building ideas to boot! Great build!!!

A beautiful facade to an even more stunning residence....I remember well the last time I was summoned to the Erudhalion residence. But we shall not speak of such things here :wink:

Thankyou very much, Saladus/Kayne! Please, dear guild-brother, never say summoned... you shall only ever be cordially invited to my home. :classic: Although yes, possibly it's not a good idea to talk overmuch about the strip-chess tournaments... whups, did i just say that aloud?? I meant *ahem* diplomatic talks of course... :wink:

Wow. Just..wow!

The idea of placing those cheese slopes makes me dizzy!

I love the unconventional shaping, and the charming details.

Thanks Jason! Btw i've figured a way to transfer the cheese slopes so you only need to work out the design once - i work in a jig the same size as the space to be filled, then tip the model forward and fit the space to the jig, then tip it back so the peices all drop exactly into thier appointed place. (The main thing to remember is that the mosaic parts have to be higher than the jig sides for it to align properly with the space in the moc) I find it's a convenient way to design and fit vertical mosaics, and also store mosaics for future use. Maybe everyone does this, idk, but i felt pretty chuffed with myself when i did it the first time! :laugh:

Lovely! Some really nice techniques with the arches, roof tiles, and especially the astrological arcanae! Love the mosaic! What are the yellow stars over the door? Somehow this makes me think of a Hollywood movie where there is one massive star in the lead role and a very good ensemble cast backing them up. Great job, I cannot believe how quickly you are building at this level!

:classic:

Cheers Rasputin/Robuko! I'm glad you mentioned the yellow stars over the door - they are the new Freinds cupcake holders, i'd been waiting for a chance to use them! :classic: It's interesting also that you mention Hollywood movies - my next build for the MocAthalon is the theme "Adventure", and is going to be a mash-up of a whole heap of adventure film references. I'm in the midst of building it now - the setting will be the Berigora harbour, so after i post for the MocA's, there'll be a change of minifig personnel and voila! Hopefully another Kaliphlin free build! :thumbup::classic:

Very well done gabe! :thumbup:

Apart from the excellent building techniques, mosaics, minifigures and crisp presentation, you've also found an excellent color scheme that is exactly what I imagined Kaliphlin would look like! Well done! :wink:

Thanks Jarl Nibelung/Sirens-of Titans! Yes, the tan/blues/white/dark red combo is one i'm particularly fond of too. Although that doesn't mean i won't be experimenting with different colour schemes in my Kaliphlin builds. :classic:

Really awesome, Gabe! I think you've really nailed the Kaliphlin look here!

It's pretty much all fantastic, but the best parts for me are the amazing mosaic and that great arch over the doorway! The arch is the perfect shape, and the colors really make it stand out, and I think the white round bricks do a great job outlining it. And I've really got to get off my butt and try a mosaic sometime. I also really like the rows of gold 1x1 round plates set into the walls; a really nice detail touch there.

Did you try leaving the 1x6 plates off the ends the roofs to see what that looks like? Just leaving the ends of the round bricks exposed? Was wondering if that might look more realistic.

Any chance we'll see what the rest of the house looks like sometime?

Thanks Gex, glad you like it! I ummed and ahhed a bit over the 1x6 plates too... i considered capping them in some way, but i didn't want the eaves to stick out too far and in the end i went for the rough simplicity of studs. I tend not to like the round brick ends showing because of the holes - i know i could cap them with a round plate, but this would still leave too much of a gap showing between the wall and the roof pitch - as it is it's borderline. :sceptic:

I don't know that i shall ever build the entire house - maybe, but there are too many other things i want to build first! :laugh: More likely i shall build an interior scene or two. :classic:

AWESOME! I love everything about it. :thumbup: Do you plan on adding to this?

Cheers Cptn! :classic: I don't plan on adding to it for the simple reason that it's been taken apart already for my next build... my moc's seem to have a ridiculously short life at the moment.. :cry_sad:

This is beautiful! I LOVE the cheese slope window in the top, and the curved 1x1 round/2x2 brick technique - they both look gorgeous! Then of course there are the great floor details, the front pillars, the ninja star technique. You've packed a ton into a small model, and a bunch of original building ideas to boot! Great build!!!

Thanks Rogueang, glad you like it! I should mention btw that the 6 pointed star mosaic in gold and white is one of the great Katie Walker's designs - i figured out how to fit it into that space, but i would never have arrived at that point by myself. :classic:

Very beautiful MOC! You can watch this picture for hours and still find new elements and details!

Great job and surely a beautiful that fits in your mighty city :thumbup:

so much beauty on such a small baseplate. Well done!

I am really surprised by this construction, I really like it. :thumbup:

Even though I am not a big fan of the oriental style, I really like the skills you show in this MOC! Very well done! :thumbup:

Thanks fellas, glad you have enjoyed my build! :classic:

I particularly like that golden line of round plates 1x1 ;)

I think all the good things are said. But I'm still saying it: the arches and mosaics are awesome, as is the whole moc! :classic:

I particularly like that golden line of round plates 1x1 ;)

Thanks Angeli! I didn't want to go overboard on the gold, just a few accents here and there.

I think all the good things are said. But I'm still saying it: the arches and mosaics are awesome, as is the whole moc! :classic:

Thank you kindly! :classic:

Beautiful work. The architecture is fantastic. Good luck in the MOCathlon! :thumbup:

Cheers Wahil/Basiliscus! I don't think i'll get through all my builds for the MocA's, but i'll manage to get through 1 or 2 more builds i'm sure. :thumbup:

This is a great MOC, but it is also an older topic. We try to avoid bringing back dead threads unless there is something really substantial to add. We feel bringing back older topics at the expense of newer more fresh topics is someting to avoid. Please be more careful in the future. Thank you!

Nice arch Gabe! Could someone tell me how to make one of those roofs? I've always wondered how.

What are the MOC Athalons?

Edited by TheUtilityBelt32