Sign in to follow this  
Dakar A

MOC: Mini Modular Overdale Townhouse

indexed.gif B-M-3E

Hello all!

6988854403_a70eca6e14_z.jpg

Mini Overdale by Dakar A, on Flickr

This is the Overdale Townhouse. Built in 2008 by ME Architecture, This building was an instant classic in Studwell City!

Of my few Modular MOCs, the Overdale townhouse was my favourite to build and to showcase. Built on the strange format of a 16x32 corner building, making the full scale model was*ahem* tough.

The mini modular version, though, was a whole 'nother ballgame! :sceptic:

I first tried to build it freehand, but what was supposed to be minimodular scale (1 brick equals 1 plate of heighth)turned out being more microscale than anything!So I went on apotome.com, pinted me off some brick paper, and sat down with the original for some inspiration. Turned out being much eaiser to plan and design well. The 1x1 clips didn't make it into the final build, well, because they didn't actually fit.One of the few pitfalls of papre design. Still, I prefer it over LDD, somewhat. I like to be able to manipulate things with my hands, not just on a computer screen.

6982888071_7a6d146a70_z.jpg

Overdale Edit by Dakar A, on Flickr

The source material was quite easy to use, seeing as how I haven't cannabalized it for parts. I tried my best to faithfully re-create it, but I didn't have nearly enough 'glass' peices in trans-medium blue (2! :cry_sad: ). Also, I couldn't succesfully put a 1/2 stud offset on the bottom floor windows, so that's also a little off.

This is my personal favourite photo of the MOC, since it uses the classic Modular street veiw. The Medium blue and red buildings also work well with the black background, don't you think? If you are curious about the blue building, it's here, here, and entered into this contest: http://toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5233 (Shameless self-promotion! :grin: )

Thanks for veiwing, C&C welcome!

Ooh, aaw! :laugh: looks just as good as it's bigger counterpart. Great job recreating that building in micro scale. Looks great next to your other micro MOC

I must have read your name wrong while opening the thread, because I opened it and saw the pic and said "hey, that looks like Dakar's red building." Perhaps that's because it is your red building haha. Very good job, its instantly recognizable.