Steinkopf

MOC: Traction Substation

Hello Everyone

I thought I would make a change from posting work I have done on rolling stock and instead focus on a bit of lineside structure instead. This model is of a traction substation which is used to supply power to the catenary for electric trains to run on the LBB, the model is designed to represent a yard that converts 66kV 16.7Hz AC to a 15kV 16.7Hz AC supply for the overhead wiring. The model is of a typical modern open yard design which features 2 step down transformers, busbars, earthing cabinets, isolating switches as well as voltage and current transformers, there is also a switchroom which has a fully detailed interior including circuit breakers as well as control and monitoring equipment.

View of the yard on the SLGG's award winning Brickston Valley layout at the AMRA 49th Sydney Model Railway Exhibition.

6199948837_1f81bc5676_z.jpg

General views of the yard.

6055210109_134a919e1f_z.jpg

6055193131_1635489016_z.jpg

Inside the switchroom including showing one of the LBB electricians doing some maintenance on one of the Vacuum Operated Circuit Breakers.

6055185425_f4f97def95_z.jpg

6055713004_3d62e9df64_z.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

AWESOME substation 'Steinkopf', mind if I take inspiration for a future MOC for my revisit to my Aussie country town ? :classic:

Brick On Power On 'Steinkopf' ! :grin:

..Huh, and I thought I was the only one in the land of Oz who did there own Australian city public transport models Steinkopf. Who knew. Do you have any more pics of that Sydney train of yours? oh and the err Traction Substation looks nice to.

Here's my Perth public transport models BTW

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=BorgShadow317537

Hello BorgShadow

The Tangara is not mine, it was built by my friend Darrell, he has built a number of New South Wales trains including K Set Double Deck EMU, CPH Railmotor, Tangara and Expolorer DMU just to name a few here is a link to some of his work http://www.flickr.com/photos/17661082@N04/page8/ .

Edited by Steinkopf

Great detail and realism!

Are those brick-built sheep behind the power station? Looks nice: do you have a close-up?

Again so beautiful that it makes me forget the medium.

I am still operating in the stone age...

Looks very nice! Now only the connections to all the other buildings, using air wires :)